World’s biggest four-day working week trial ends in success

blackcab

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

A report assessing the impact of the alternative working hours found it had "extensive benefits", particularly for employees' well-being.

My last job in the UK was for 5 years [15 years ago] 

I worked a four day on-four day off work pattern.

Full-time 12 hour shift for me, 2 days & two nights> four days off.

Other shifts were part time of 8 hours and 5 hours @ 3 days on 3 days off

The company operated 24 hours a day 365 days of the year.

Hours were covered by a shift pattern.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My last paid job I worked a 12 hour day with one extra day to make up the 40 hours. I loved it as only 3 days a week for 3 weeks and 1 week with 4 days a month.

Obviously the hospital had shift work to cover open 7 days a week.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Was that stacking shelves at Tesco?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have a close friend who now works a 3 day work-week.  These are double shifts, 30 hours a week, and it's listed as full-time.  He is eligible to pick one additional shift if he wants.  He absolutely loves the schedule and, as he said, 'I have a life and a job.'   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What if it was?

Stacking supermarket shelves is honest work.

Absolutely, was said in jest 

So don't ask for a link.

Edited by roo860

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Was that stacking shelves at Tesco?

Senior flight engineer at my local airport, keeping the planes in the air and tourists happy... not they thought much about us toiling away in the background.

Edited by hotchilli

Start of Klaus Schwab mate Bonnie Prince Charles/ King WEF ???????? Emporer Xi leftists ideology Plan " U will own nothing & be happy little slaves do as your told ! Prepping permanent welfare Stat on its way 

Bpz1GnZCMAAA39n.jpg

Edited by Mad mick
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I worked at a 24/7 factory 20 yrs ago. They went from 8 hr shifts to 12 hr shifts, in a 2 week period I worked 7 - 12 hr days. Even though they paid OT after 8 hrs the Co. figured this was the most cost effective. It was great having 3 day weekends twice a month.

2 hours ago, Mad mick said:

Start of Klaus Schwab mate Bonnie Prince Charles/ King WEF ???????? Emporer Xi leftists ideology Plan " U will own nothing & be happy little slaves do as your told ! Prepping permanent welfare Stat on its way 

Bpz1GnZCMAAA39n.jpg

Glad your order from Prik Pot arrived safely.

I retired 17 years ago.  The 12 years prior to this I worked four 10 hour days a week.  Loved it.  Plus I did work 6 hours overtime on Friday and also worked 6 hours overtime on Sat if I wanted to.  Overtime wasn't always available but I worked it if I could.   Blue collar pay at 1.5 times the pay rate on overtime.

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Senior flight engineer at my local airport, keeping the planes in the air and tourists happy... not they thought much about us toiling away in the background.

Indeed, the most essential occupations are often the least acknowledged.

If sanitation workers went out on strike, even the rich would soon smell the result.

We all have our part to play in the game of society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only job I had, longer than a few months, allowed you to trade shifts.   So you and a coworker, would trade shifts, and you'd work doubles/16 hr day, yours & their shift.

Two doubles, and one single, if you wanted, or you could actually give that away to someone wanting to work extra shifts.   Which I usually did, so I worked 2 days a week, for 32 hr work week pay.

Which was beneficial to me, as I had side businesses, or simply travelled/holiday'd long weekends.   It was an airline, so flights were almost free, $20 USD for first class, and you ate & drank that much during the flight.

It was great, and you could actually work a week of doubles, and take a week off, or just give your shifts away.   Last 6 months there, I commuted from TH to USA, and was actually here/TH, more than at work.  2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and then burned all my sick time before leaving the company.

Main reason I worked there was for the travel bennies & healthcare, the latter I never really needed.  Traveled all over the USA, using 'Yahoo chat', remember that.   Hook up, fly to see a chickie, stay with them, visit the city, had a blast.   Did that for about 10 years.   Great for recon for retirement planning also.