UK 'Proof of Life' form. What is the best way to send to the UK from Thailand?

torrow

Sent mine on 8th Feb by registered post as I normally do, as above 250 baht, yet to arrive but just over 2 weeks.

Yes, mine took 5 weeks to arrive from UK.

16 weeks from date on letter from the UK is the allowed timescale to be received back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My pension board in California gave m3 30 days to get the form notarized and sent back to them.  I had no choice but to fly back to Los Angeles and complete the process in person.  I was not a nice person when  I showed up at the local pension office.  At least the UK office allows more than 30 days to respond.  

• Like 2

Sent mine ,registered, B250 on7/2 arrived 15/2. You probably know you can track on  Royal Mail - they are recovering from a cyber attack and although Thailand is ,clear, do not be disappointed by it seemingly  stuck in transit from Thailand mine suddenly jumped from that to out for delivery to delivered.

• Like 2

I had similar problem with POL for Australian pension,demand arrived 2 days before required reply date, sent them copy of tracking number and POL form by email,3 weeks later they emailed that it still had not arrived but they had extended my reply date by 6 weeks,never heard from them again.

• Like 1

Registered airmail post (long tabien) from the towns Post Office at 250B. You can track its progress through the track and trace web page.

Sent mine 9 February arrived UK end (international pension centre) 0n 15 Feb. 

Bangkok Bank manager signed off the witness paper.  Plus the 'all important stamp'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

My pension board in California gave m3 30 days to get the form notarized and sent back to them.  I had no choice but to fly back to Los Angeles and complete the process in person.  I was not a nice person when  I showed up at the local pension office.  At least the UK office allows more than 30 days to respond.  

I'm not sure if this would work for you but Benjamin Hart is a practising US lawyer who also has a legal business in Bangkok. His fee plus DHL express would be massively cheaper than travelling.

www.legal.co.th

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you do not mind me asking how old are you. I am coming up to 76 and often wonder  if one is about to turn up.

I'm also approaching 76, being aware that some pensioners were receiving these I called them and they advised that one was posted to me on 8 January, I still haven't received it, or indeed a letter from my bank in the IoM requesting a witnessed copy of my wifes new passport, the bank called me to advise that the form was on its way, but they also sent it via email, as did the DWP following my call.

Coincidently I'll be in the UK shortly so will send them both from London on arrival.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, In the jungle said:

How frequently do you have to do this for a UK pension?

According to previous posts by well informed contributors, not at all if you provide DWP with a UK address. When I claimed my State Pension last year a lady at DWP stressed that a UK telephone number is important. Read into that what you wish. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Maybe the fastest and it would be the most expensive would be DHL?

Take around 3 days and it can be tracked to when it is delivered, what time on what day,  and who signs for it, but its gonna cost around 1,200 baht?

Can confirm DHL is fast and reliable. Sent Friday afternoon and arrived early Monday morning. On-line tracker provides detailed progress information. Couldn't be better.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Can confirm DHL is fast and reliable. Sent Friday afternoon and arrived early Monday morning. On-line tracker provides detailed progress information. Couldn't be better.  

Must have upped their game.... in another lifetime I worked for the *******.   In the UK parcel world known as Documents/Handled/and Lost

• Haha 1

The pension board I am with is based out of California and lately they have been focusing in on overseas resident and anyone over 100 years old(I wonder how many of them are still ticking?).

My biggest issue was the need to have my signature notarized on their “proof of life form”.  Really not sure how I would have gotten this accomplished in a matter of 7 days.  So in my case I bit the bullet and flew back to Los Angeles and presented the from in person along with two forms of identification.   I fully realize there has been fraud in the past when a pensioner dies and the money continues to be deposited into the bank but if seems to me a better way would be a zoom call or even logging into the pension website and electronically acknowledging “I am still alive” from time to time.  But what do I know?  All of us living overseas will eventually get one of these letters. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you do not mind me asking how old are you. I am coming up to 76 and often wonder  if one is about to turn up.

I am 69 and have had about 5 already. I got the first one about 3 months after i started my pension at 65 !! They obviously think i am on my last legs.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The pension board I am with is based out of California and lately they have been focusing in on overseas resident and anyone over 100 years old(I wonder how many of them are still ticking?).

My biggest issue was the need to have my signature notarized on their “proof of life form”.  Really not sure how I would have gotten this accomplished in a matter of 7 days.  So in my case I bit the bullet and flew back to Los Angeles and presented the from in person along with two forms of identification.   I fully realize there has been fraud in the past when a pensioner dies and the money continues to be deposited into the bank but if seems to me a better way would be a zoom call or even logging into the pension website and electronically acknowledging “I am still alive” from time to time.  But what do I know?  All of us living overseas will eventually get one of these letters. 

My occupational pension provider in UK performed a 'five yearly review' (as they termed it) by sending an email with a secure reply facility requesting; 1) Photo of data page of passport 2) 'Selfie photo'. I thought that was quite ingenious and totally painless!

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

DWP issue "proof of life" forms on a random basis, people and timeframe, if the only postal address they have for you is outside the UK.

I have one friend who is required to submit one every year (and complete an HMRC tax self-assessment annually), yet another has never received either. 

Thank you for a very clear answer to my question.

17 hours ago, In the jungle said:

How frequently do you have to do this for a UK pension?

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

According to previous posts by well informed contributors, not at all if you provide DWP with a UK address. When I claimed my State Pension last year a lady at DWP stressed that a UK telephone number is important. Read into that what you wish. 

I have a UK address and phone number and my pension is paid into my UK bank account. I have lived here for over 20 years.

I have never had to fill in a POL form.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have a UK address and phone number and my pension is paid into my UK bank account. I have lived here for over 20 years.

I also have a UK address and phone number but I assume that I could not use them for DWP in respect of the state pension as place of residence affects entitlements under the state pension scheme.

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Because, as stated 5 minutes earlier:

” DWP issue "proof of life" forms on a random basis, people and timeframe, if the only postal address they have for you is outside the UK. “

6 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I also have a UK address and phone number but I assume that I could not use them for DWP in respect of the state pension as place of residence affects entitlements under the state pension scheme.

You could if you wanted to break the law as many people living over here to do to collect annual increases. Don't hear of anyone being prosecuted for doing it though?

11 minutes ago, Thailand said:

You could if you wanted to break the law as many people living over here to do to collect annual increases. Don't hear of anyone being prosecuted for doing it though?

I have no intention of breaking the law and intend being entirely honest with DWP as to my place of residence.  It would, however, be advantageous if I could get them to use my UK address for correspondence.  Post that arrives at my UK address is scanned and emailed to me the same day.  I find Thailand Post very unreliable.

• Like 1

I just send mine by ordinary Airmail, figure  couple of days to get to airport ,

on plane to Uk ,thats where delay might start , due to strikes etc, but it should

get there in time ,it always has in the past, don't send it in their brown envelope

i send it in Airmail one , theirs could end up been sent seamail ,taking 6 weeks

like it did to get here.

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I also told the pensions people that my main residence was based overseas, so whilst they see a UK address, I do not receive the UK additional benefits. (I do not really need a heating allowance  ????)

• Love It 1