British personal trainer needs £250,000 to get home from Thailand after falling from third-storey balcony and suffering horrific injuries while on holiday

webfact

6 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...it is not good to blame someone in his position, but how can he travel so faraway from his country without insurance?

Doesn't say how he came to fall off the balcony, was the balcony not at a safe height? Sue the hotel. Doesn't say why his travel insurance are refusing to pay, was he not covered for such an amount?.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

The insurer would have to prove that alcohol was the root cause of the accident .  

Just the fact the insured has been drinking is not enough for the insurer to deny the claim .

Maybe the insurance company is waiting for proof that alcohol was NOT involved before handing out the cash? It's possible there's a police report on the incident or they are seeking eyewitness testimony? It's also common for medical evacuation to be an add-on or only available under more expensive 'Premium' coverage. Either way, it's still their money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Surely cheaper to have the required surgery in Thailand.

At the Bangkok Hospital in Phuket, maybe a 'push'?

Problem here is he is accumulating daily expenses ta the Hospital whilst the Insurance Company deliberates. Why is the Insurance Company taking so long, without knowing more facts its difficult to make any kind of educated guess?

5 hours ago, sletraveler said:

Isn’t that standard for insurance companies?   They look for any means possible to deny payment since it affects their bottom line. 

The chances are that the insurance only covers treatment at a local government hospital and not an expensive private hospital like the Bangkok Phuket hospital. This is common with travel insurance.

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...it is not good to blame someone in his position, but how can he travel so faraway from his country without insurance?

Ever heard of hitting someone while they are down? I lived here for 20 years with no insurance. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Medical evacuation does not cost a quarter million. Something (many things) is off here.

no, but the fees charged by big hospitals especially for farangs do.

• Like 1

Here is what my AIG Travel Guard policy says about exclusions. I assume other policies have similar exclusions.

The insurance under this agreement does not cover the following expenses: 

16. Injury arising from the action of the insured while the insured is under the influence of alcohol, addictive substance, or narcotics to the extent of being unable to control one's mind.

17. The term "under the influence of alcohol" in case of having a blood test refers to an alcohol level of 150 mg percent and over. (Note: that is a 0.15% blood alcohol level, which is 3 times over the driving limit)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems to be common enough problem to show up on interwebs insurance blogs.

9. Dangerous or illegal behaviour

For many people, a holiday is a chance to relax and have some fun – but it’s important not to get carried away with this. Putting yourself in unnecessary danger (by trying to climb from one hotel balcony to another, for example), drinking too much alcohol and taking illegal drugs are all ways to invalidate your travel insurance.

If you’ve injured or made yourself ill while drunk and end up in hospital, you may be left out of pocket if you can’t claim on your travel insurance. 

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/travel/10-ways-to-invalidate-your-travel-insurance

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As I previously mentioned most policies would exclude accident due to intoxication, ditto suicide attempts.

Certainly a "fall from balcony" would raise questions in an insurer's mind. Though the onus of proving drugs or alcohol were involved, or that it was self-inflicted,  would fall on the insurer. If no evidence of same in his medical record then the family should appeal to the relevant Ombudsman. 

Isn't the Ombudsman only for affairs related to government?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is it with travel insurance companies who are quick to tame your money but very slow and playing hard to get when the chips are down and they have to pay? I can't see that this kind of money can be raised quick enough for the young block to be sent home for the urgent treatment he needs.

Same as most insurance companies they want your money but don't want to pay out 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reading the linked article in the Daily Mail, there was no claim that the insurance company is refusing to pay medical expenses.

There was the statement that "the couple's medical bills have piled up," but no indication that any claims have been denied.

It seems the full amount embegged is solely for the return flight.  From the article:

Brit needs £250,000 to get home

trainer needs £250,000 to get home

return to the UK could cost £170,000-£250,000 without insurance help

desperately needs £250,000 to get home for urgent surgery.

...flown back to the UK for the procedure, but this could cost between £170,000-£250,000 'without any help from the insurance'.

...advised that we fly home in an air ambulance for his second operation, however, we have been given quotes from £170,000-£250,000 without any help from the insurance. 

I would take from this that repatriation costs were not included in the insurance policy.

It appears that they want to purchase a private air ambulance for the flight home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm always curious to know how you fall out of a 3rd floor balcony, or any other balcony. I guess the insurance company is asking the same question. If the balustrades are dangerously low, don't go out there.

Having lived in many Condo blocks around Pattaya, yes the balcony railings are dangerously low, below waist height on a 6 foot male, but  with no health and  safety, or building regulations, that are any good  in Thailand, these incidents will continue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Because the height of Thai balcony rail / panel are very low compared to western standards, I've  some less than 1m, this is about or even  below the tip-over point for an average farangs height. 

As a previous poster pointed out - stay well away from Thai balcony rails,

for 2 reasons 

1. Low 

2 Insecurely fixed into the floor /wall. 

Yes, you're right. And worse still, leaning against one, for instance with a drink in your hand chatting to a friend and simply tipping over backwards when it gives way. Nightmare. Maybe that's what happened here.

I don't know where this happened but couldn't a local paper, Pattaya/Phuket News, or some such, get to interview him or his girlfriend and find out?

• Like 2