How Crowded is Pattaya Now?

Danderman123

25 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Classic Thai economic planning: if one shop is successful, put in 20 more, right next door.

Same with the roads, if there's not enough bumps, they'll add some.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

Nothing to do with too many massage shops?

Of course too many massage shops same as too many bars, but still this particular shop has been around for many years, on a less busy street but just less farang around, they do often go home around now

It's not going to get any quieter any time soon. The Pattaya Food Festival is on at the moment and the Music festival with events throughout March. Then it is Songkran. The Thai schools are also breaking up for the end of their academic year. 

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I think Tukcom has a limited life left now. Pattaya Tai gridlocked with traffic and pedestrians everywhere but almost empty in there.

No wonder, advertising a xaiomi service centre that isn't there and sending me to a place miles away that wasn't there.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Classic Thai economic planning: if one shop is successful, put in 20 more, right next door.

Narrow stereotypical few. Not particularly characteristic of Thailand at all, but common througout Asia. Tokyo's Akihabara is a classic example.

Our ace Western-trained forum Economists have never been able to figure out the model and have posted the same ignorance and puzzlement for decades.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course too many massage shops same as too many bars, but still this particular shop has been around for many years, on a less busy street but just less farang around, they do often go home around now

There's plenty of farang around, they just don't have money or don't want to spend it. Consumer confidence seems to be down now.

• Confused 1

I was there last week. 

Busy, early evening but after 11:00 things really slowed down. 

Lot's of rooms at descent prices mid-March onwards. 

I was amazed at how many Russians there were.  They tend to drink in there hotel rooms or at 7/11's leaving bars in the lurch. 

Good idea to book a scooter ahead of your stay as there more difficult to find I've found. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

There’s lots of lesbians around Pattaya. It’s just low key & the action takes place back in the room.

When you see western women around it can look odd like a backpacking trip gone awry, or a strange spot for a family vacation, but it’s really lesbians.

And all that.

I have never heard of a Farang lady going with a Thai bargirl. 

I have heard of bargirls going with Farang couples, though.

And, yeah, I did once see a solo Farang lady enjoying a gogo dancer, much to the alarm of the gogo dancer.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Have a look at a YouTube video NDTVi by Nick Dean who has 3 bars in Soi 7, he said Made in Thailand Beer Complex which was demolished is going to be redeveloped. There are going be 50/60: new bars now it’s the landowner who is building them, must have money to burn or knows some thing we don’t ?

12 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I have never heard of a Farang lady going with a Thai bargirl. 

I have heard of bargirls going with Farang couples, though.

And, yeah, I did once see a solo Farang lady enjoying a gogo dancer, much to the alarm of the gogo dancer.

I think it’s an online freelancer thing. Not something you see in a bar with a girl being called over or people leering at a gogo in the middle of a bunch of guys.

Look for single western women or single female backpackers around your condo or female couples that look like they are not interested in guys.

It always looks a bit odd in Thailand, but then you realize what it may be, and you figure that’s ok, it just feels out of the norm. You can also feel that they are not at all into meeting other foreigners and kind of doing their own thing. It’s bush licking.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Lot's of rooms at descent prices mid-March onwards. 

That's consistent with what I find on the net for my usual place. Only few categories/dates where it is booked. 

Plan to drive there without reservation. Just a few phone calls on the go.

Before COVID I once did this end of February and had quite a stress to find a room.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's consistent with what I find on the net for my usual place. Only few categories/dates where it is booked. 

Plan to drive there without reservation. Just a few phone calls on the go.

Before COVID I once did this end of February and had quite a stress to find a room.

Some really descent places also.  Great rates. 

Page 10 nice go to place with good breakfast, clean rooms, and a rooftop pool for around 1800 baht.

Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Have a look at a YouTube video NDTVi by Nick Dean who has 3 bars in Soi 7, he said Made in Thailand Beer Complex which was demolished is going to be redeveloped. There are going be 50/60: new bars now it’s the landowner who is building them, must have money to burn or knows some thing we don’t ?

Why demolish 50/60 well established popular bars to build another 50/60? We all assumed it would be a new hotel/condo.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Whenever i go past those Nick Dean bars on soi 7 they are empty except ladies looking bored

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Whenever i go past those Nick Dean bars on soi 7 they are empty except ladies looking bored

Last time (months ago) I walked down soi7 and 8 I got a feeling of post apocalypse.... How far it has fallen. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

Last time (months ago) I walked down soi7 and 8 I got a feeling of post apocalypse.... How far it has fallen. 

Yesterday soi 7 probably around 3.30pm many bars open with girls and customers, so it's on the way back for sure, but strange those bars at beginning of soi, full or average girls who look bored and no customers, you'd expect that cash burn not to last long

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, ragpicker said:

It's just the common problem of over breeding.  Bangkok believe it or not was liveable 40 years ago.  Same with Chang Mai.  Pattaya ruined, Koh Samui, Phuket, the list goes on.  Sad

You left then?

Long weekend this weekend so the Bangkok invasion will make it seem busier, last couple of weeks have been very quiet at Makro and Big C on Sukhumvit, road very quiet as well. But it does not take much traffic to make the middle of Pattaya look busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe a lot of the congestion on Klang is caused by the traffic lights at Big C, 3rd Road and 2hd Road. They are 4 way intersections but the traffic only goes from 1 intersection at a time. There no reason why 2 intersections can’t go when the traffic is flowing in the opposite directions.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nick Dean and Buzzin Trevor are always talking Pattaya up, they do a great job for TAT. bearing in mind the majority of their videos are viewed by people abroad. Deans video on a Sunday night where he has a few bar girls sat selling their wares on what he calls the casting couch with the viewing audience buying them shots, tbh if I was interested I wouldn’t give any of them a second look.

These videos were made popular by Covid during lockdown but are now a bore with the same format day in day out, Buzzin walking round Pattaya with a camera.

Looking at Deans bars he must be making money, he provides accommodation for the stall, owns a condo worth a few million now looking at renting/buying another whilst renting his current one out.

Yes ok to watch during lockdown but now I give them a miss.

46 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I believe a lot of the congestion on Klang is caused by the traffic lights at Big C, 3rd Road and 2hd Road. They are 4 way intersections but the traffic only goes from 1 intersection at a time. There no reason why 2 intersections can’t go when the traffic is flowing in the opposite directions.

Yeah traffic lights are very inefficient, only 1 of 4 lanes moving. I often find intersections work better when lights are off such as Pratumnak Road\Theppraya. They should review all lights and see which ones are best switched off

I notice the same in many places in Thailand, hotels and roads are all full and busy, but in many restaurants or for girl bars, little interest. But to be real, the girls messed up before, many people stopped going before covid.

For myself, and many expat friends I know here, somehow the 3 year covid just made us change routine too long too, we now rarely still go to the gogo bars, or if we do, just for a few drinks. We figured we can get proper drinks and food in high end places, for the same we otherwise waste on additional girl drinks, who think 3-5K short time is normal.

I am not seeing many customers on Soi 6 during the afternoon. As to traffic being congested, road works have a lot to answer for. Bolts are difficult to get hold of in central Pattaya but that may be due to intimidation by the green-and-yellow thugs. If you order a Bolt ride that circumvents the Beach Rd/2nd Rd/Soi Bukaro area you will get a ride at acceptable rates.

7 hours ago, LennyW said:

Long weekend this weekend so the Bangkok invasion will make it seem busier, last couple of weeks have been very quiet at Makro and Big C on Sukhumvit, road very quiet as well. But it does not take much traffic to make the middle of Pattaya look busy.

Why are the baht buses so crowded?

18 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Well 2nd Rd junction is not a 4 way as second Rd is one way.... are you saying the lights still accommodate the old 4 way system.. when baht buses could go the wrong way? I think they tried changing lights to allow 2 junctions to go once but didn't work well as drivers could not get into correct lanes (right turn only). It's a mess and won't be changing soon. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1