Thai Police Say Canadian Man who Claimed he was Robbed and Attacked in Patong Lied and Started a Fight with a Group of Thai Men

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You clearly didn't read the article, or you didn't understand what you read.

Mr. William sat on a beach bed while heavily intoxicated. The beach vendor asked William to pay for the beach bed or he had to order a drink first before he could sit. Mr. William became upset and started a verbal argument and physical fight with four Thai men, according to Thai police.

Yes so??... there came four Thai men to say he had to order a drink before he could use a bed or pay for it?? or was it one and three other needed to interfere???...

50 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Yes so??... there came four Thai men to say he had to order a drink before he could use a bed or pay for it?? or was it one and three other needed to interfere???...

Yes so?? You asked what started the altercation and I pointed out where that information is. I don't understand the rest of what you say either. I'll put it down to language difficulty.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Did any of those four have any authority to charge him or make him buy a drink? Did they own the 'bed' or were they 'freelancing'? Pretty common here. It's not unknown for tourists to be forbidden from bringing their own beach furniture, under threat of 'punishment'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

it's always 4 on 1 out here.

your average local thai wouldnt stand a chance in a 1 on 1 fight with your average farang.

they know this, this is why they always gang up.

Pound for pound the Thais are a lot tougher physically, and a lot fitter with a lot of manual labour in the heat as opposed to Fatty Farang with the big beer guts.

And mentally. Many farangs certainly like complaining, sweating the small stuff. Spicy food and durian sets them off. Sitting in the back of a pickup, Thais can go for hours. Fatty Farang is usually about done after 15 minutes.

Anyway, if you get a drunken idiot in the west at a nightclub etc, the whole security team helps out to subdue the idiot. There is no one on one as you imagine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In my long experience with Thai people I have had few if any even semi serious problems.  I have found over and over if you are a jai dee farang and don't try and start a bunch of stupid conflicts the Thais that i have encountered will treat you well.....however.... If you get drunk out of your head and turn belligerent yelling and threatening  and get your butt kicked don't blame the Thais.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Some people still seem to think there is a lot of difference between countries. Though i believe there are general cultural values per country. But every country has criminals and idiots and unfortunately they have passports and travel.

I don't know what to think but drunk people in general make bad decissions so him starting the fight is not an unreasonable assumption.

Anyone found drunk and incapable in public should be charged, locked up and fined.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes so?? You asked what started the altercation and I pointed out where that information is. I don't understand the rest of what you say either. I'll put it down to language difficulty.

yes so??you can't understand it??ok read it again or use google translate

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

yes so??you can't understand it??ok read it again or use google translate

I think it would take something far more powerful than Google to understand you. Sorry.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't think tattoos make someone bad, but getting blind drunk and starting a fight does. Would someone without tattoos who started a fight or got blind drunk annoying people be a good tourist in your view ?

I don't think tattoos make someone bad.

Not so sure about that and somewhere I did have research that was done on the link between tattoos and criminals, and there was a large correlation between those who had tattoos and those who were criminals, and to quote something else: –

"Are tattoos associated with criminals?
The tattoo became the badge of an adventurous life; it has also been used for centuries to mark prisoners and criminals. Outlaws and inmates in many cultures often elect to mark themselves with designs that document their crimes, sentences, and beliefs.

Edited by xylophone
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Pure lies.  There could not have been a beach bed there because Prayuth made them illegal.  Phuket is back to its old ways.  Things are now absolutely back to normal.

Phuket is a cesspit yet again.  And just wait till the Chinese show up.

Try to keep up ... a portion of beach is allowed to have vendors/sunbeds/vendors.

"10% of the total beach area allowed"

https://www.thephuketnews.com/prab-calls-for-expanding-beach-operator-areas-on-patong-beach-86465.php

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think it would take something far more powerful than Google to understand you. Sorry.

It is difficult too..... 1 man sits in a certain position on a chair.. The owner of the chair tells him to pay for it or order a drink.. They argue.... what have the other men to do with it????? so easy to understand....

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

With drunks fights do start from nothing. In this case the Canadian was trying to steal a Thai's livelihood, use force to obtain a service without paying, any number of other charges. You can not hold your liquor you should be Red Carded out of the country.

You base this statement on the trusted word of the RTP or the rigorous accuracy of journalism in Thailand ?

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Is somebody starts a fight with a friend of yours in your local USA bar, nobody would help of course.

Personally I would break up the fight and not join in. Only join in it someone else does. Thankfully thise days are passed as age, disability have crept in... 

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You have to wonder if they would have acted the same way against a fellow Thai. Actually, we can guess the answer to that, can't we.

Not sure?  Years ago I was leaving Walking Street and got on my bike parked on 2nd road around 2 am traveling down like 30 K/H just before Tha6i a motorbike Taxis comes out of the Soi straight at me I didn't have a clue how to say in Thai " look out " I was able to avoid him our mirror clashed. At the intersection he stopped starting saying " what what " words exchanged next thing I know he stomps on leg Muay Thai style not once but twice I start to get off my bike he takes off.  I catch up to him without stopping I take my bike basically popping a wheelie On top of his bike and knock him over.  I get off my bike walk over to him while he gets up with my full helmet still on I head butt him right in the face broke his nose wide opened he was in a dazed. I came to my senses looked around at the corner a few motorbike taxis just standing and stirring I slowly got back on my bike and got the hell out of there before they find out I'm not one of them. 

Not a Asian thing a thought in big fights outside my own race growing up I admit getting a few extra kicks in for good measure. I've been in situations I've been jumped by Latins and Italians Irish.   You just never know? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure?  Years ago I was leaving Walking Street and got on my bike parked on 2nd road around 2 am traveling down like 30 K/H just before Tha6i a motorbike Taxis comes out of the Soi straight at me I didn't have a clue how to say in Thai " look out " I was able to avoid him our mirror clashed. At the intersection he stopped starting saying " what what " words exchanged next thing I know he stomps on leg Muay Thai style not once but twice I start to get off my bike he takes off.  I catch up to him without stopping I take my bike basically popping a wheelie On top of his bike and knock him over.  I get off my bike walk over to him while he gets up with my full helmet still on I head butt him right in the face broke his nose wide opened he was in a dazed. I came to my senses looked around at the corner a few motorbike taxis just standing and stirring I slowly got back on my bike and got the hell out of there before they find out I'm not one of them. 

Not a Asian thing a thought in big fights outside my own race growing up I admit getting a few extra kicks in for good measure. I've been in situations I've been jumped by Latins and Italians Irish.   You just never know? 

You come on a public forum and boast about acting like an irresponsible idiot, endangering life to 'get your own back' like a kid challenged in the school yard. I can see why you've been jumped by Latins and Irish. I've never had an altercation in my 74 years. Ever thought you might be the problem?

What it comes down to is that you're a thug ready to run into rather than away from a fight. That can get you killed in Thailand, as I'm sure you know. Which is why you ran away scared from the other motorbike taxi drivers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You come on a public forum and boast about acting like an irresponsible idiot, endangering life to 'get your own back' like a kid challenged in the school yard. I can see why you've been jumped by Latins and Irish. I've never had an altercation in my 74 years. Ever thought you might be the problem?

KY

What it comes down to is that you're a thug ready to run into rather than away from a fight. That can get you killed in Thailand, as I'm sure you know. Which is why you ran away scared from the other motorbike taxi drivers.

Barry, this is the second time I've had a run in with you. 

Think about this ever think you might have a stick up you rear? 

You might think about pulling it out so you not so uptight.  I can see you at 74 why you have never been in an altercation you might be pretty fast on you feet even at your age. 

If you weren't so hot all the time might have noticed I said young! 

See not everyone can come from the perfect environment stuff shirt like yourself you don't just turn off the switch and run all the time or be the better man like yourself.  

I came here like you in peace growing up in an environment family resources as your have been reading lately Chinese Grey business in spite of resources I've not gone out of my way looking for trouble in another country but when corner I don't shy away from it. Prior to the triad stories many Chinese like myself have been here a long time that includes many of my family from abroad like my brother our philosophy we live in peace but we don't run from trouble and when the time comes those who come looking better come prepare.

As for being jump when I was young prior to all the knives and guns I was representing my school in a Basketball game the Latin team  was loosing bad Guess they didn't like a bunch of Chinamen coming into their house showing them up.  As for the Irish/ItalIan's 

that jump me they waited each morning waiting to take our lunch money to go through the park it was the shortest and quickness way to school on time I got tired of walking extra 2 miles each day.

I gave you a few story because not everyone grow up like you in your Lilly white world so get the stick out your rear and don't lecture me here because you too Y stand up for yourself. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gloman said:

So a Canadian man started a fight on four Thais…..surely it was one Thai and the other three got involved. 

Are you Canadian, perhaps? Anyway, good defense. ????

On 3/2/2023 at 3:15 PM, ikke1959 said:

So funny.. they highlight the men and than blurr the face.... So highlight it than??? I think the story is incomplete... as we all know, that fights don't start from nothing... 

Ah yes. Heavily tatted drunken young farang do no wrong.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, wadman said:

It depends on what lead to the fight.  IF (big IF) it is really true that the Canadian was drunk, belligerent, and started the fight, then why would the beach chair vendors want to fight "fair"?  

Not to mention that average falang is significantly larger than a Thai, how is that fair anyway?

That's right. No matter how badly a farang behaves, half the posters on forums like this will find a way dunk on the Thais involved.

Drunken idiot causes a scene and is subdued. "Oh man, they didn't fight fair" 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, soalbundy said:

He should be arrested for his name alone. If he has made a false statement and signed it he is in big trouble, this will be a court case.

Why? Will all Canadian with a French name will be arrested? 

French is the mother tongue of approximately 7.2 million Canadians (22.8 percent of the Canadian population, second to English at 56 percent) according to the 2016 Canadian Census. Most Canadian native speakers of French live in Quebec, the only province where French is the majority language and the only