What Is Your Favorite Bank...

I have been trying to open an account with SCB in Nawa for some time because that is where my wife banks. I have run into nothing but headaches. First it's understandable I guess is that I need to be married to a Thai. So once I got married this year I tried taking our marriage certificate, my yellow book and my Thai ID.... nope...

Then they said I have to wait and go to immigration first when I have me visa extended which made now sense to me. So that happened and then they wanted proof of income. I waited until I got my 2022 W2 from my employer, I'm American, and my 2022 Social Security Yearly Statement showing that income which I took to them today. Now they said they need to call "someone" to see if it is "okay for me to open an account.... they will call and let us know the decision.

I do not understand all of this... is this par for the course... I have had friends tell me they have not had to go through all of this... I have never had to jump thru so many hoops almost begging for a bank to use my money for THEIR investments. Again the only reason I am doing this is because it is my wife's bank and it would be easier for me to transfer funds if an emergency arises...

So should I just say forget it and go to another bank in Nawa, there are three and not give the the satisfaction of having and account with them... I've also heard if you open an account at a bank in Bangkok it is relatively easy. 

What are your experiences and what is your favorite bank...

Another thing I could use advice on is at some point I am going to have my social security deposited directly into my Thai bank account. I understand that Bangkok Bank is the best for this because they have a branch in New York and it is an easy way to go... Plus I'm thinking that maybe because the branch is in the US you get protections that the US provides banks... just a guess on my part...

Your thought... thanks in advance

Larry

Edited by AcuDoc

KhrungThai has treated me well.   Another very, very common farang bank has dropped the ball so many times I thought they were Jordan!!! lol.   I do think Khrungsri has a great reputation.  Why do I think this? I buy A LOT of stuff and send money all the time....it's usually going to Khrungsri, which means................well, figure it out.

I probably sent them 10 billion in the last five minutes!!!!  lol    hi so eating 20 baht noodle soup.  

Just now, Kwasaki said:

When I came to Thailand I opened with Bangkok Bank the reason was that there is one in UK.

I've never used the one in UK but it's there if I have to. 

You're aware that they are different entities, and you cannot do any Thailand-account transactions, except, perhaps, money transfer or credit/debit card transactions, which you can do at any other UK bank?

But yes, Bangkok Bank seems to have the more professional staff (incl. language skills), and staff aren't as slow as, say KTB staff.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

7 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Opening an account with SCB as a foreigner has always been a challenge. Used to be that it was possible with a recommendation by a current account holder.

It happens to me too, at the same bank long time ago on Phuket, I already had an account there, and also wanted to have a credit card, asking, asking asking...forget it.

My then girlfriend had an acquaintance working there, she took care of the loans, and yes in a short time it was arranged.

BTW, for me there is no single favorite bank, but unfortunately you can't do without it.

Edited by Tubulat
  • Like 1

Just now, Tubulat said:

BTW, for me there is no single favorite bank, but unfortunately you can't do without it.

Of the banks I have had business over the years...

1. Bangkok Bank

2. Krungsri Bank

3. SCB 

4. Kasikorn Bank

5. Krungthai Bank.

But it really depends on the individual branches here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Of the banks I have had business over the years...

1. Bangkok Bank

2. Krungsri Bank

3. SCB 

4. Kasikorn Bank

5. Krungthai Bank.

But it really depends on the individual branches here.

I have accounts in all those five banks, and would probably rank them in the same order as you.

For me, Bangkok Bank and Krungsri come in far ahead of the other three banks, SCB and Kasikorn is on about the same level and Krung Thai comes in as a distant last.

• Like 1

I have had success at both Kasikorn and SCB.

When staff ask for work permit or such I ask them to confirm with their call centre, usually then I confirm to the call centre that I have a "retirement visa" the phone is then returned to the staff member who opens the account.

Best bank SCB as I have 3 branches that are easy to get to.

Hate all banks and never had an account at one until coming to Thailand ????

Have BkkBank now here, only because of USA Soc Sec DD.

Thanachart wasn't bad in the past, though wife doesn't care for it now, since merger.

Have had KrungThai, CIMB, UOB also in the past, and all about the same, terrible.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hate all banks and never had an account at one until coming to Thailand ????

Have BkkBank now here, only because of USA Soc Sec DD.

Thanachart wasn't bad in the past, though wife doesn't care for it now, since merger.

Have had KrungThai, CIMB, UOB also in the past, and all about the same, terrible.

Had many Banks here since the 70's...never any problems.

So please elaborate on your "terrible" claim of all Thai banks.

Possibly a personal problem?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Had many Banks here since the 70's...never any problems.

So please elaborate on your "terrible" claim of all Thai banks.

Possibly a personal problem?

They want to charge, for me, to use my money.   I prefer not to pay people to use my money for their profit. 

ATM charge just to have ... charge & fees if used outside province

Same with dep/withdrawal, if outside province.

Don't know where y'all come from, but my previous & current USA financial institution was, is free.  Used Credit Union for salary deposit & access to (free) and Brokerage firm for anything else.  CC & debit card, free & no fees.

I use Brokerage debit card here, no fee from my bank, and no Thai fee (220 baht).  Banks should pay you, to use your money, or at least, not charge you.

BkkBank gets my monthly DD, then every few months, I withdrawal it, to stay below the $10k USD ceiling, to avoid filing FBAR.  I don't even have there debit card for the account.

Edited by KhunLA

From the App K-Bank I like most. Krungthai is good when you have to pay tickets (Fines) or when you receive tax-returns.

Bangkok bank I personally not like (not mean a bad bank).

I have Omsin (GSB), L&H and Citibank (which will soon UOB) which are OK. But their app are not that good as the other 2.

At the end I think it most depends on the branch you use and what person you become when you are at the bank branch.
I mostly use branches in shopping centers, as this are open on weekends as well.

I agree that it really depends on the branch. I have an SCB account.  The small branch where I opened it was known to be foreigner friendly but getting anything done there was always a hassle. Now I go to a much bigger branch close to my house and they have always been very helpful. 

By the way, even Thais can have trouble opening a bank account.  I have had Thai acquaintances who had been told they have to buy life insurance if they want to open an account. Or they were told they can't have a safety deposit box.  If the branch thinks you're not that well off they don't seem to have much interest.

1 minute ago, HampiK said:

I mostly use branches in shopping centers, as this are open on weekends as well.

Someone's brilliant idea was to close the mall branch, which had 2 efficient cashiers, and quick service.   Now only main branch in town, with only 2 cashiers, if lucky.   Thankfully, full window in front, so can peek while driving by, and pick when to go in, for 10 minutes wait while 3 people are processed in front of me.

MrsJ and myself have both accounts with BB and CIMB. Very good service from the bank branches.

However phoning BB is a different matter. Try to avoid that like the plague. 

I started with Bangkok Bank, because I was in Bangkok! A daft reason I know, a bit like when people chose it since they have seen a bank in their home country. Familiarity I guess, but pointless. Then I switched to K-Bank (or Thai Farmers Bank as it was called at the time) and I have never looked back, far easier to deal with them especially since the internet access became available. YMMV.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, AcuDoc said:

Now they said they need to call "someone" to see if it is "okay for me to open an account.... they will call and let us know the decision.

All SCB branches have to get the ok from Head Office for new (foreigners) accounts, I tried ten days ago and was told that I needed a "certificate" from my embassy, everything else was ok and then they'd forward the application to get the final go-ahead, a formality.   Can't blame the staff for their bosses directions.