Former national police chief Chakthip to face corruption charges

webfact

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

5 years ago I wanted to open up a K9 training facility in the north with dogs sourced from Europe. To get the process started I was asked to donate 2 MThb in order to get the paperwork signed off by someone at the top who would then want to be a silent partner and who wanted 51% of the company and profits.....Nope...just a sad society.

Years ago I thought about opening a business in Thailand but very soon realised after hearing of several drive by shootings from jealous people. From pub entertainment restaurant to even a noodle shop. Then the knock on the the door with a simple we want your business. Not worth the hassle as didn't really need the money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Hardly a day goes by without a corruption scandal in the news. One wonders, if there is even a single government procurement that is not riddled with corruption? 

God forbid that a mega deal would go down without the smell of corruption in the air, If corruption would have been a type of sport or academic achievement competition Thailand would take first place every time and every year without a doubt.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

About 25 years ago an announcement that the RTP were buying about 800 mid range BMW cars.

Cars arrived at most mid size and above police stations.

Two years later in a national assets inventory only about 10% of the cars could be found.

Nothing further happened. 

almost everything went according to plan. 10% still found lingering in national assets was seen as only minor discrepancy vs the plan, thus not seen as further action as more important things to focus on. If 20%, maybe some action would have been taken...

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Didn't many say the BMW smart cars were a waste of money when they first debuted.

I rarely see them in operation in BKK anymore when we are there. The Lumpini RTP statio  has one that always seems to be plugged in sitting in front of the office on Withayu Rd.

Rest assured, some hidden entity is making out pretty with these ventures. 

Certainly has little to do with the good of the public or environment.

The usual racket.

21 minutes ago, mran66 said:

almost everything went according to plan. 10% still found lingering in national assets was seen as only minor discrepancy vs the plan, thus not seen as further action as more important things to focus on. If 20%, maybe some action would have been taken...

At he time this happened there was comment in the media that these BMs were a reward for mid/senior level cops but owned by the police.

Also further comment that many cars had become the 'persona' transport of cops wives, and some with a cop from that station redesignated as the wives driver.

Also further comment that many cars had been sold by the cop or wives for personal cashflow. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

At he time this happened there was comment in the media that these BMs were a reward for mid/senior level cops but owned by the police.

Also further comment that many cars had become the 'persona' transport of cops wives, and some with a cop from that station redesignated as the wives driver.

Also further comment that many cars had been sold by the cop or wives for personal cashflow. 

all makes sense.

do you recall anything mentioned about the purchase price per unit for these cars? Likely about double the RRP of BMW Thailand that has been booked to govt expenses for these...

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Personally I find all these charges a welcome sign that Thailand may be taking that first step against corruption.  My biggest challenge is who I will vote for for Thai man of the year  the soapie king or Big Joke.  They are definitely moving the sticks and shaking up the political landscape.

If true it would be a good sign. Unfortunately it’s all talk and bravado.

Despite the many announcements over decades you never hear of any major player being taken down. Unless there is an opposition political threat to a persons line of succession at the head of the trough.

They have convicted drug traffickers as major ministers in parliament and they all pretend it didn’t happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mran66 said:

all makes sense.

do you recall anything mentioned about the purchase price per unit for these cars? Likely about double the RRP of BMW Thailand that has been booked to govt expenses for these...

Yes but the 50% increase was because these cars were smart…..unlike those who occupied them.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The case was raised with the NACC by Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, while he served as the commissioner of the Immigration Bureau, following an incident on January 7th, 2019 when his car was shot at by an unknown gunman.

We are now in 2023 right?

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Today at lunch my partner and some other people were talking with wifes of policemen who had lunch too. The wifes claimed that policemen are ordered to take bribes to hand over to their superiors, and many will quit when they are 25 years in service. But nobody dares to stand up against their superiors.. It is all over Thailand according to the women... Just to say, and apparently the Government knows it, but don't care 

If dining at an expensive restaurant this would suggest that the wives are quite happy to reap the benefits of the bribes taken by their husbands. Also if not working, they are obviously comfortable enough on the one source of income. Me thinks maybe they protest too much.