NATO considering deployment of up to 300,000 troops on border with Russia

onthedarkside

3 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

No, I haven't. They are not members of NATO as it stands, and it still all depends on Turkish President Erdogan, one of the most unstable people on the world political scene.

That is correct at this time, however see the link below.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-18023383

2 days ago

Turkey's government has said that Sweden and Finland have been harbouring Turkish citizens who it says are "terrorists". It has been demanding their extradition.

Since Sweden is the main focus of Turkey's complaints, Finland negotiated a settlement with Turkey on its own.

Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has praised the "authentic and concrete steps" Finland has taken regarding his country's security.

He will now ask Turkey's parliament to vote to let Finland join Nato.

This leaves only Hungary still to approve Finland's entry and Hungary's ruling Fidesz Party says the parliament in Budapest will vote on the matter on 27 March.

Finland hopes it will be able to join Nato in time for the bloc's July summit in Lithuania.

However, Turkey is still criticising Sweden for harbouring "Kurdish militants" and neither Turkey or Hungary are yet asking their parliaments to vote on its entry.

There is more in the link.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

good for NATO maybe then -Putin will know  he on looser ??!!

I think we're seeing the start of the end game. Now it's down to negotiation. China's really turned the tables on the West. But it's not over. He's due to meet Zelensky. That WILL be interesting. NATO can contain Russian expansion, and vice versa. If everybody understands the lines now drawn, then so be it. But eastern Ukraine remains the obvious sticking point. With that sorted, maybe we can all stand down. But the damage done to Ukraine? Why was that necessary? That's the bit I don't get. I think that's worthy of a criminality charge by any account. There have to be reparations. Yes, put 300,000 troops on Russia's North West borders. Then we'll start talking.