Thai Airways accused of favouring foreign passengers over Thais

webfact

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

How come she is only briefing you directly and not making an aircraft wide announcement as normal? No pre landing videos etc?

Were you the only passenger in the whole aircraft?

You said earlier you were the only "white guy" onboard!  Why the colour mention I do not know, but it implies there were other "non white guys" on board.

If we assume you were not the sole passenger onboard, even if, and you have not stated it, she knew you spoke fluent Thai before she gave you your personal safety brief, she still had to make the announcements/personal briefings in the airline's native language and English as a minimum to the other passenger(s)!

I mention that I am a farang as that is why she separated me from the rest of the passengers, who were not farang. 

It was a domestic flight and the language was Thai.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

It's been my experience that Thai Airways tends to give better service to non-Thais over the years when I flew Thai.  I saw a lot of that back in the 80's and 90's.  Also heard a number of Thais complain about this as well.  Didn't matter if it was business or economy class.    

Now I tend to stay away from Thai Airways as their fares are always more expensive than their competitors and the routing is never that convenient.  

So your experience 30 years ago is what you base your view of them on.  Way to stay current 

On 3/29/2023 at 7:32 AM, handymax said:

Hey Doc, now you know how we foreigners feel every day we're in Thailand, try going to a national park and paying 10x the entry fee, just because we're not Thai, or the local market and paying double for a simple bag of food. Doesn't taste good, does it?

How often are you going to National Parks? 

I never pay double for anything on the local market and I shop in one a few days a week for vegetables and fruit.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 2:50 AM, webfact said:

after a flight attendant provided services exclusively to a foreign passenger. The attendant told the Thai man that the foreigner was a Gold Status member.

:violin:Loss of Face, and sounds rude, I wonder if he had flown, Air France he would have thought himself more entitled than the French man behind him. Thainess :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2023 at 7:39 AM, RichardColeman said:

I travel cattle class. If some fool pays twice the price - or more - for the same flight, same distance and same time out of their lives , then good luck to them getting a bit more. Most people to Europe will try and sleep most of the flight, not exactly to get extra when catching zzz's

I did biz class for the first time last year on Qatar, waste of money and not only that the food was worse than in their economy, absolute garbage. People seem to have the attitude that they can stay in the toilets as long as they like as well. More space and drink is all it gets you.

Edited by proton
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, ezzra said:

So now that the shoe in other foot as they say, it could have been one off situation, however, Thai silk service, in the opinions of many, is not as silky as it used to be and he's not the first one to notice.

Hasn't been right for a couple of decades. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

So your experience 30 years ago is what you base your view of them on.  Way to stay current 

I still fly Thai when I have to domestically.  However, this topic was about international flights.  Would I fly Thai Internationally again?  Maybe.  Usually the routing isn't as convenient and the airfare is higher than their competitors.

Edited by Hanuman2547

On 3/29/2023 at 7:50 AM, RefinedGentleman said:

Amusing that a person would create an incident over the mere possibility that someone on their flight MIGHT be receiving better service than they are. ???? My God, talk about a fragile ego. Imagine the experiences this guy has in restaurants...does he take notes on how the other tables are treated relative to this own? Must be hard to go through life like this.

I think you're missing the point.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:12 AM, wwest5829 said:

While I can understand, nonetheless, that fellow passenger held a more frequent flyer customer status and on that basis got the perks accorded to the earned status.

You need to read the article properly, the Thai was "Gold" also...that was his point!

On 3/29/2023 at 5:23 PM, Danderman123 said:

On the flip side ...

I flew Economy the other day (it happens), and there was a gentleman from a southern Asian country seated near me who insisted on a free upgrade to Business class. He kept marching up to Business class, only to be marched back by the staff. They had to keep a lookout to.make sure he didn't sneak up and take a seat.

On the flip side of that story, on the way back from Danang to BKK, I was given a free upgrade to the front of the plane (Business Class seating). No idea why.

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

On the flip side of that story, on the way back from Danang to BKK, I was given a free upgrade to the front of the plane (Business Class seating). No idea why.

Oversold in the back and a passenger traveling alone an easy choice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's a joke, right? A few years ago, Thai Airways wanted to refuse me boarding, because I had 'no visa for Thailand, or return ticket'. Also, for a few extra kilos they charged me almost as much as my flight ticket cost.

Hmmm, So you weren't prepared for your trip. Return or on ward ticket is required for visa exempt entry, same on all airlines.  Packing too much luggage is on you, they publish the limits right on the website just like all airlines 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

He's got a lab coat and a stethoscope and everything!

He looks like one of those smarmy TV doctors  from the UK   No doubt spends more time preening himself than curing sick people,    I bet a consultation is not cheap either  

I'm wondering if "working girls" in Belgium need some sort of health certificate to allow them to operate legally?

Could be quite lucrative, certainly  appears so

• Haha 1