Bangkok Bank

9 minutes ago, whophant said:

My question is, can anybody recommend the best Bangkok Bank branch for doing this? I went to one last year - I don't want to say which - and though they spoke excellent English they had no idea what I wanted or needed.

I always use the Chiang Mai gate branch, takes them about 20minutes to print and sign the letter.

https://goo.gl/maps/EyGrxE7iDDNyEVd88

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic, thanks to all of you for this very helpful information!

I guess one more question would be, does anybody know how long the bank letter is actually valid for? I googled it, but get only "1 year" and "90 days" as answers...

Thinking out loud, if it really is only valid for two or three days, it makes no sense to get, or even order, the letter tomorrow, since I will not apply for my extension until April 24 - still 3 weeks off.

And since I want to get to Immigration as early as possible, and live 2 hours north of Chiang Mai (in wonderfully empty Phrao), I should probably come in the day before, get the letter and spend the night?

Again, thanks to everybody - this is an unusually kind forum!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Would be nice to know what the letter says? Does it say you have a sum of 800.000 in bank @ or does it say you have maintained a balance above 800.000 for 3 months?  Or what?

It only says that this is your account (no shared account) and shows the balance at issue.

Like mine from last year:

(I left out the mostly blank footer with stamp and signature)

bankletter.jpg

(2559 is the year I opened this account, a fixed savings account)

For the 800k method there is no official rule to keep the balance for a year but three months before application.

And that is shown with the respecting bank book.

Exact timing for letter and book update varies by office.

Khon Kaen is OK with letter from the day before but bank book must be updated same day before applying.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

So looks like it don't say much of at all... So what's the use? Apart From we have to have it?  As we have to have updated bank book as well.

True. It's bureaucrazy :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

I use the Bangkok Bank branch in Kamphaeng Phet which is where my IO office is.

I can get a 6 month statement and letter on the spot, but as the IO requires a 12 month statement that takes 3 working days.

I normally go in a couple of weeks early to order the statement and what day I will pick it up.

The first time I did it I talked to the counter officer at the bank and also the call centre in English, then played pass the mobile phone and it worked for me.

Their number is 1333 after selecting your preferred language. Press 0 to contact Bualuang Phone staff. and select to do various items via Bualuang Phone staff.

The alternative number is 02 645 5555. which after pressing to select the desired language successfully You can press the number to enter the shortcut menu. to do the desired item immediately.

They are very helpful and they DO know what you require and they will instruct the branch with what and how to do it.

56 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For the 800k method there is no official rule to keep the balance for a year but three months before application.

Actually there is a rule - for renewal funds must have remained at 800k or more for 3 months after last extension, and at or above 800k 2 months prior to new application and never go below 400k.  

But we do not seem to know status of OP.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Does your office not accept consecutive 6-month statements 6 months apart from each other? Mine (Rayong) certainly does for the 40k/65k monthly income method, based on personal experience.

Sadly mine at Kamphaeng Phet requires 12 months consecutively. I just get the Bangkok Bank to sell me 3 copies. 1 for KPP, 1 for the regional office in Chiang Mai, and the other for my records.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sadly mine at Kamphaeng Phet requires 12 months consecutively. I just get the Bangkok Bank to sell me 3 copies. 1 for KPP, 1 for the regional office in Chiang Mai, and the other for my records.

So presumably you (and others in your position needing 12-month statements from Bangkok Bank) need to take particular care to ensure that no transactions (+ or -) hit your account at least during the time it takes Bangkok Bank to produce a 12-month statement, since the latest balance total reported in this statement could otherwise be out of kilter with that reported in the bank account confirmation letter (all the more likely if Kamphaeng Phet are just as insistent on this letter being obtained on the same day as you lodge an extension of stay application with them as their Rayong counterparts, I would have thought), thus giving Kamphaeng Phet in your case yet another excuse for making life difficult for you at annual extension of stay time, presumably!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 11:02 AM, whophant said:

they had no idea what I wanted or needed.

Here's a letter the agent I used a few years back gave me to hand to Bangkok Bank, in case they were clueless. Don't know what most of it says, but obviously it pertains to the two bank statements and the updated passbook.

It took about 6 business days to get the 12 month letter. I built in an additional 5 day buffer, then picked the letter up same day I requested the latest balance letter and had passbook updated, requesting the clerk photocopy this passbook update, as required by Imm, and saved me from having to queue up at Imm's copy machine room. Anyway, all done in the morning, with the visit to Imm in the afternoon.

Some have suggested you have to do a small withdrawal/deposit to have your passbook update. Not so with Bangkok Bank, as it just drops your latest balance down one line and adds today's date.

bank ltr for immigration.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

So presumably you (and others in your position needing 12-month statements from Bangkok Bank) need to take particular care to ensure that no transactions (+ or -) hit your account at least during the time it takes Bangkok Bank to produce a 12-month statement, since the latest balance total reported in this statement could otherwise be out of kilter with that reported in the bank account confirmation letter (all the more likely if Kamphaeng Phet are just as insistent on this letter being obtained on the same day as you lodge an extension of stay application with them as their Rayong counterparts, I would have thought), thus giving Kamphaeng Phet in your case yet another excuse for making life difficult for you at annual extension of stay time, presumably!

Not really.

I usually order the 12 month statement at least a week in advance. Before I go into the bank I update my passbook and that is reflected on the statement which is printed out at the time of collection and not at the time of ordering.

It is not that difficult as I have to go to the other side of KPP to get to the IO. I go to the bank and do my bit, my wife has a late breakfast and picks up some goodies for the IO on the way.

5 minutes ago, udontomi said:

The bank letter cannot be more the seven days old.

If you are talking bank letter of account ownership/balance it must be same day in Bangkok - but varies upcountry..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If you are talking bank letter of account ownership/balance it must be same day in Bangkok - but varies upcountry..

Unless something has changed over the last year or, Bangkok (CW) will accept a letter up to 7 days old.   Several times within the last five years I used bank letters up to 5 days old with the retirement/marriage extensions of stay I did at CW.   I did that because one time while the CW officer processing one of my extensions I asked how old the letter can be and she said up to 7 days.   But a same day small withdrawal/deposit with updated passbook or ATM receipt is required.

Edited by Pib

On 4/3/2023 at 2:51 PM, Red Phoenix said:

Many posters refer to the 'Bank letter', which can be confusing as there are actually TWO documents required (as well as your updated Bank pass-book) when applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

These are the TWO statements that you need:

#1 - Bank Account Statement > Statement issued by the bank that you are the owner of the Bank-account, as well as the Balance that account shows.  That Bank Account Statement can be issued on the spot by your bank and you should have it produced by your Bank - after having done a small transaction - on the day of your application before going to Immigration.

#2 - Bank Transaction Statement > A document issued by the bank showing the transactions that were done on that Bank Account, such that Immigration can see that the balance has never been under the 800k and 400K tressholds in the twelve months preceding the issue of that document.  The info on that Bank Transaction Statement is same as on your Bank Pass-book

NOTE: That your Bangkok Bank branche will as good as certainly have to ask Headquarters to issue that Bank Transaction Statement for you (as records older than 6 months are often not accessible anymore at the local branche), and it can take up to 5 days before you get it.  So you need to ask the Bank when that Bank Transaction Statement will arrive (or better still have them contact you), and on that day or day after go to the Bank to pick it up.

When you are at the Bank you should then also do a small transaction, and then ask the Bank to print your Bank Account Statement which will then feature the updated balance on that day.  And also your Pass-book should be updated with that latest status. 

Since many Imm Offices want that Bank Account Statement up-to-date on the day of application, it means that you need to go straight to the Imm Office once you have the 2 documents and the updated Pass-book in your possession. 

Never been asked for a statement just a simple letter with the balance, must vary from office to office like a lot of other things

On 4/3/2023 at 2:18 PM, lopburi3 said:

Actually there is a rule - for renewal funds must have remained at 800k or more for 3 months after last extension, and at or above 800k 2 months prior to new application and never go below 400k.  

Finally, someone who knows the rule....  Not sure why some are saying 800k must be 3 months prior to applying unless some IOs are different than others.

43 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Finally, someone who knows the rule....  Not sure why some are saying 800k must be 3 months prior to applying unless some IOs are different than others.

Adherence to the official rules is dependent on 3 things:- (1) the particular immigration office with which you deal, (2) the particular officer within that office with whom you deal on a particular occasion, and (3) most crucially, which side of the bed said officer had got out of that morning. ????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brick Top said:

You must ask for Bank Guarantee Letter.

That's what they call it fir some reason 

What I do is to take along a copy of the letter the bank gave me last year and tell them "Same again, please" ????