Foreigner slips and breaks his neck on mossy seawall steps at Thailand beach

snoop1130

In my opinion it depends on the history and who's been involved. If the locals have submitted official complaints about it and nothing has been done then there is a possibility of recompense. That being said, if it was a local who slipped knowing that it was dangerous, they are partly responsible. If it was a tourist who knew nothing, they should in theory have a better chance of claiming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiggo said:

Blame culture spreads to Thailand now?

Where there needs be ‘some’ accountability culture otherwise we remain surrounded by unnecessary dangers with authorities doing nothing...   this is one of the area’s where Thailand really needs development. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup... dripping with sanctimony....    I don’t know what it is with some AN posters who insist on passing such judgement.... 

I tend to agree that we ‘should be careful’... but public area’s should also not be so treacherous and IF they are the blame should not solely be placed at the foot of the injured.

I was driving near Sa Keaw a few weeks back... the road was ’slick’ and I mean, shiny slick. 

New concrete had be laid and for some reason the contractor had laid the concrete in such a manner it was extremely smooth and shiny.....  The last time I saw concrete so smooth I couldn’t get up the slight incline to my condo on my motorcycle while it was raining, the rear wheel would spin and slide...  the front wheels on the car would also spin it was so slippery. 

The surface looked as if it would be incredibly treacherous in the wet.... IMO a 100% guarantee of skidding cars...  SO.. what did authorities do about it ???... They put up signs every 100% ’road very slippy when wet’....     IMO, they [the authorities] are accountable for every single accident that occurs on that stretch of road (the most hazardous I’ve ever seen in Thailand)...  

In the same manner, the public have a right to accept a basic level of standards and safety when out on public property... and that means not having surfaces that are going to be be walked on which are so slippery that this happens (looking at the steps I bet this is not the first time this has happened). 

So...  while I agree with the sentiment that we have to take extra caution when out and about in Thailand, unlike you OneMoreFarang... I’m not blaming the victim here - I’m blaming the Authorities who would have known about the slippery steps in this area and have simply chosen not to care.

This disregard for the safety of the public is an underlying cause for numerous incidents... from people getting electrocuted on a metal lamp-post, to hanging wires garrotting motorcyclists, to very poorly designed road junctions etc...   

Totally agree with your comments . In a public space the local council should be under a duty of care to the public . The stairs are there to be used and therefore should be maintained along with adequate lighting ( auto solar power lighting is all the rage now ,cheap and easy to install ) . However  unsafe features can be found all over Thailand especially on pavements , cowboy electrical installations , balconies ect ect . Maintenance is not in the Thai dictionary and it seems that apathy and laziness rules here .

There should be an international list of countries safety standards , status and record that may be overseen by a non- bias panel . If there was such a list I think Thailand would be low in the league . It would appear that some of the comments are from members who have truly adapted to the Thai standards and forgotten their own countries higher standards . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Do you expect a sign on every inch of road saying to be careful because cars pass and can cause accidents? Or do you use common sense and take as much care as possible?

On that stretch of road I described I would expect want them to re-do the road - its it would be treacherous in the wet like driving on ice, the authorities clearly know about the issue already as there are already loads of signs...   which do not fix the problem at all. 

and even if you do take as much care as possible, accidents do still happen.

There is a difference between accidents - and ‘incident’ caused by issues well known by authorities who do nothing to fix the issue.

Thailand has an appalling safety record and I am as critical of the authorities in that respect as anyone, but this sounds like a freak accident. 

A freak accident is a ‘one off’... I doubt this is the first time this has happened, I doubt the authorities are unaware this is a dangerous area. 

I personally can’t see that the authorities bear much blame.

I can, if they knew about the danger of the area and did nothing about it. 

Venturing into a dark area with slippery conditions underfoot, yep, it’s possible to slip and fall. The guy is very unlucky that it led to serious injury.

In an area readily accessible to the public should there not be an expectation that a flat and prepared area is safe to walk on ?... this is not walking over rocks etc and not walking through a forest trail - its just walking down some steps / along a sea wall at the beach - I can understand someone not familiar with the area having no idea how slippery it could be...  I can only imagine the numbers of kids who’ve come a ‘cropper’ on that wall.

The guy is extremely unlucky... Have the authorities done anything about this yet ? is the next person to slip and get injured also unlucky?  at which point would we expect the authorities to take accountability and take measures to resolve this issue ?... 100 ppl injured ?... deaths ?

Or, do we just expect that this is nothing to do with the authorities and whenever walking around the streets, the beach etc its free-for-all and and can can’t expect anything of Thai authorities to ensure some basic safety standards?

This lack of accountability is clearly the way things are and it is the reason why in threads such as this I’m critical of authorities who do nothing when there are those in public positions to affect improvement and change - it is the underlying apathy which leads to these issues which could be resolved (I’m referring to basic safety issues in general). 

Of course, we accept it - but that does not mean I’m going to lay all blame a the feet of the injured when authorities have allowed issues to exist and persist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Totally agree with your comments . In a public space the local council should be under a duty of care to the public . The stairs are there to be used and therefore should be maintained along with adequate lighting ( auto solar power lighting is all the rage now ,cheap and easy to install ) . However  unsafe features can be found all over Thailand especially on pavements , cowboy electrical installations , balconies ect ect . Maintenance is not in the Thai dictionary and it seems that apathy and laziness rules here .

There should be an international list of countries safety standards , status and record that may be overseen by a non- bias panel . If there was such a list I think Thailand would be low in the league . It would appear that some of the comments are from members who have truly adapted to the Thai standards and forgotten their own countries higher standards . 

100% agree.... It does seem that many posters have gone ‘native’ in their attitudes siding with the ‘more powerful authorities’ from the point of view that ’nothing will improve anyway’...   so its just easier and takes less effort to victim blame and just ‘brush off’ these issues under the TiT banner...

It is a shame as improvement would be of benefit to *all of us (*all of us in Thailand, not just us foreigners, but Thai’s too)... Just walk down any pavement (sidewalk) in any town or city in Thailand and he utter disregard for public safety is wholly apparent. 

This is usually where we see the response... ‘if you don't like it go back to the nanny-state’  or... ‘don’t push your western standards’ etc etc...   These sorts of comments are moronic attempts to point-score from people of low intelligence...   There is nothing wrong is recognising where improvements can be made in the country we live in, for those of us with Thai friends and who have made this country our home we have a vested interest in seeing these improvements and there is nothing wrong with expressing such opinions on forums such as this. 

(that last paragraph has been placed there to offset the predicable and expected flawed responses and avoid debate with the cerebrally challenged).  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deez said:

You expect water to be "wet". You do not expect stairs to be like ice. The reason there is so many public hazards is because there is zero accountability.

I expect slabs of concrete next to an ocean to be slick and wouldn't mess around on them in the dark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Richard, your taking things out of context. A branch falling from a tree is different from walking somewhere in the dark at a place where anyone with half a brain should stay away from. There is such a thing as own responsibility. 

This is ’20/20 hindsight’ and wrong IMO...  

This was a public area, I would argue that ‘authorities with half a brain’ should ensure the area is not so dangerous.  Children will also be playing in the area, how many have been hurt there already ?

I also agree that people should be cautious and take responsibility, but... this guy did not walk blindly across a road without looking, he was walking down a beach and clearly didn’t expect an area to be so slippery - the half a brain comment is harsh.

You cant expect a government to have everything clean, something that gets flooded by water each and every day will be slippery you can't change that. In this case IMHO its the guys fault. As i get older i see risks more clearly. 

I agree, we can’t expect the government to have everything clean (perfect), but we can expect basic standards....

So.. actually, you can change that and very easily...  The authorities have street cleaners etc and those who tend public area’s... It wouldn’t be difficult to have them tend to these areas a few times per year - it just takes some proactivity... herein lies the issue and the crux of my criticism. 

There is the additional facet that the design of the wall itself is flawed and ‘invites' people to walk along it... 

Some things like uneven pavement in a busy street sure government can fix it. Things like this that will always happen unless large amounts of money are spend and everyone with half a brain should know not so much.

How many more people need to get hurt on this seawall before authorities recognise and deal with the issue ?... 

Or... should authorities ignore a potential risky issue in a public area and use the excuse... 'anyone with half a brain should avoid the area so it's their own fault' ???

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The smart people make sanctimonious comments on this forum don’t they !!!... 

Those steps look like they’d be perilous when wet....    With the amount of poor lighting are you so sure you’ve never stepped where you aren’t 100% sure you’d have perfect footing ???

Never stepped on a drain cover only to read later in the day that someone went through a drain cover (or similar) and scraped up their legs ???

I was in a very poorly designed pool the other day... dangerous with tiles 1” under the waterline and sloping down slightly, then underwater steps which couldn’t clearly be seen and underwater seating which couldn’t be clear.... I wonder how many people have slipped and hurt themselves, jumped in and hurt themselves etc...       Still, I very nearly slipped over... lethal...   (and this was at what may be considered a higher end resort). 

This is Thailand and we have to ‘expect’ that its dangerous...   But, I think ‘victim blaming’ is unfair in this case... the old fella was only walking down the steps.

Attention, Water can make you wet and always watch your steps, everywhere around the world????????????

• Like 1

Another example of an unwitting foreigner expecting things to be "to code" as they are in his country of origin. 

You have to be always on alert doing anything in Thailand. Always doubly careful driving, walking, talking, shopping whatever!! It's not your parents nation!

My God, wake up expats! Thailand is not your USA, England, France, Norway, Sweden etc etc etc!

I learned my lesson trying to jay-walk in Bangkok. Got hit by a car. Last time I do ANYTHING casually when out and about!

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Another example of an unwitting foreigner expecting things to be "to code" as they are in his country of origin. 

You have to be always on alert doing anything in Thailand. Always doubly careful driving, walking, talking, shopping whatever!! It's not your parents nation!

My God, wake up expats! Thailand is not your USA, England, France, Norway, Sweden etc etc etc!

I learned my lesson trying to jay-walk in Bangkok. Got hit by a car. Last time I do ANYTHING casually when out and about!

I agree entirely about doubling up - but, remember, accidents also happen in Farangland.  Those people who are less careful in Thailand are probably also less careful in their own countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Pink Mist said:

Was just down in HH, this is a picture of the moss on those steps, or seawall. Downright dangerous even in the daytime.

Screenshot_20230410_195812_Gallery.jpg

The only way I would get to the water is sit on each step and move my azz down one step at a time. The return trip would be the same but slower, up one step at a time making sure that I can get a grip with my hands first.

• Like 1

He is likely inexperienced being around the ocean. If you walk on concrete or rocks that are sometimes covered in ocean water, you must always walk carefully as they're often slippery or covered in algae/seaweed. Even more so at night. You don't go there unless well lit to show what your dealing with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rules, laws, and codes are usually never the same as you are used to in the country you came from.  Thailand is a country that is evolving and modernizing.  At 55 years old you should have enough common sense to be cautious in what you do and where you go.  He needs to take accountability for his actions to some degree. TIT

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Well done... you’re the only person in the world who’s never, slipped, tripped or fell !!... 

Cast your sanctimony at an injured person with the prideful knowledge that nothing similar could ever happen to you !!... :whistling:

It was simply an accident.  

No one is to blame.  The man just had a random accident in part due to not taking care. 

The owner of the sea wall things is not at fault.  

The guy could have just have easily slipped on mossy rocks or tripped over on a washes up log. 

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I agree entirely about doubling up - but, remember, accidents also happen in Farangland.  Those people who are less careful in Thailand are probably also less careful in their own countries.

Well sure, survival of the fittest is alive and well wherever one may be.

On 4/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is Thailand and we have to ‘expect’ that its dangerous...   But, I think ‘victim blaming’ is unfair in this case... the old fella was only walking down the steps.

The old guy should have been looked after by his wife, he is her meal ticket. 

Smart visitors pack a flash light if they are going out at night. I always 

have a good flash light when I go to Thailand. I have used it many times and have avoided 

holes in the sidewalks, slippery steps, and even a couple of snakes.

Thailand is not the country to go if you are naive, it is quite dangerous.

In my opinion anyway.

Now beaches need to have lights, and warnings that seaweed is slippery. Jeepers! 

What next? Paint large rocks red and rake over the sand to make is smooth after kids make sand castles so people don't trip.

It's a beach, it has steps that get covered with water where seaweed grows and that makes them slippery. 

I have sympathy for the guy as no one expects to slip and break their neck. It's an accident with a tragic end that could have been avoided if he used some degree of common sense.

But surely you don't have to tell people to be careful, as walking on parts of the submerged sea wall after the tide goes out is risky. Especially in the dark.

No one in their right mind is going to pay for lights down km's of beaches and sweep the enormously concrete steps of seaweed just in case a lone someone who is less commonsensical decides to walk there. There are things called torches for just this reason.

Doesn't call for a lawsuit. And if it was the case it should be Poseidon or Neptune they should be sueing. I'm sure their pocket are bulging with sunken treasure.

Whats the exchange rate for Bahts to Doubloons I wonder?

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1