Beef inexpensive---Where in Pattaya is the best place to buy.....

redwood1

I use to always buy beef at Big C Extra for years.....Good quality good price....Now all the beef is priced for Hi-so shoppers.....Its darn expensive.....

Frendship is priced ok but I dont like the quality of the beef.....

So does anyone know of a place for inexpensive good beef?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

So does anyone know of a place for inexpensive good beef?

Inexpensive would be Thai beef. Unusable unless you slow cook or braise it. Local market might be your best choice if you cant find it at Big C.  A nice cut of chewable beef is not Hi/So at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Siamburi's has imported NZ and Aussie steaks and other cuts at prices that aren't ridiculous.

When I lived in West Africa many years ago, one English couple used to buy the (pretty awful) local beef and hang it for a week or so in their storeroom in one of the wife's stockings. Don't ask me for the details, but I used to eat it and it was tender and very nice. If you're into that sort of do-it-yourself thing you could try it with the Thai beef, which is nothing like as bad as the African version was.

The other alternative is to buy a slow cooker or Dutch Oven and cook a tough, fatty joint for 10 or 12 hours, until it becomes like braised stewing steak, tender and falling apart. I do this to make a stew and it's very easy, just needs a bit of patience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, I don't bother with beef, happy with chicken and pork

Chicken is tasteless. It was cheap a few weeks ago. 55 THB per kilo for breast in Makro. But like eating some sort of mattress filling. Now sliced belly pork at 199, down from 240.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

We buy beef from the Ratanakorn Market in Jomtein to take back up north. We bought it at 'Sophie's' but there are other outlets. Went the day before and ordered it. Payed half and picked up the next day.. Round about 250 a kilo.

FED4D01A-23E1-4560-AD61-D3B8EAD38CED.png

What a fruit market that if, only place I buy now, never seen beef there must open my eyes next time

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Never a truer word spoken, however I do buy the Australian tenderloin beef if I want a nice steak with a good wine, but my preference these days is a beef bourguignon, slow cooked in red wine and beef stock, with garlic, tomato paste, carrots, mushrooms and onions and if one really wants to go the whole hog, then add some crispy bacon bits (plenty of other variations on this).

Thai beef is good for this and comes out really well after about 3 to 4 hours of cooking. So basically prepare it, set and forget it.

Available in Big C or similar.

We need a tread about prepere a good steak.

I have added vinegar to my marinade of local steak as well lime, garlic and other spices for 24 hours in fridge, two hours +- room temperature and slow cook it

• Like 1

OZ beef is pretty good depending on the cut.Seen advertisements for higher end Thai beef but no places up here in the NE sticks.

pork ribs … boil (simmer) in water 1 home…. Make sauce with 1/3 ketchup and store bought BBQ sauce

add brown sugar add a little wasabi in the small tubes bring to boil and simmer 5-10 minutes. Meat falls off the bone and nice kick with the wasabi….

I still think Friendship offers some of the best priced beef cuts at reasonable prices and they always seem fresh. Their Thai hybrid beef tenderloin is only about 450 baht a kilo and with some marinating is pretty darn good. Just make sure you always have some kind of acid in your marinade to make the beef tender. Balsamic vinegar, lime, coke etc or even a bit of baking soda will do. Then it’s all about the cooking. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 11:02 AM, pomchop said:

I gave up beef in Thailand long ago....just not worth it.  Chicken and pork are the name of the game in LOS and IMO few people do those two better than the Thais.

Gave up eating all dead animals 51 years ago, still alive so far, some of the meat I see Thais eating I would only feed to dogs