Beef inexpensive---Where in Pattaya is the best place to buy.....

redwood1

On 4/14/2023 at 11:05 AM, xylophone said:

Never a truer word spoken, however I do buy the Australian tenderloin beef if I want a nice steak with a good wine, but my preference these days is a beef bourguignon, slow cooked in red wine and beef stock, with garlic, tomato paste, carrots, mushrooms and onions and if one really wants to go the whole hog, then add some crispy bacon bits (plenty of other variations on this).

Thai beef is good for this and comes out really well after about 3 to 4 hours of cooking. So basically prepare it, set and forget it.

Available in Big C or similar.

I thought I would jump back on and report on the beef bourguignon which I cooked yesterday, because it was the best I have ever made, and I've been cooking them for 40 years, trying loads of different recipes and variations, and even having a disgusting version in a restaurant in Menigoute (near Poitier, France)!

For those looking to do a slow cook version of anything that contains beef, then I can recommend using the very cheap shin of beef....."The shin is a highly worked muscle that is supported by high levels of connective tissue. This connective tissue is broken down through slow cooking over a low heat and results in a moist, tender meat with rich flavour".

Chuck steak is another worth considering however I have found that for long slow cooking it tends to break up.

So in summary: – local cheap cuts of beef are fantastic for slow cook beef recipes.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, proton said:

Gave up eating all dead animals 51 years ago, still alive so far, some of the meat I see Thais eating I would only feed to dogs

Considered that myself occasionally.   But gnawing on animal flesh is simply too satisfying, and can't find a comparable veggy alternative.   

Whether soft and succulent rib-eye or tenderloin, to spicy Wing Zap @ KFC, to tough chewy jerky.

I've accepted being a carnivore, although, if having to kill my food / meat, I'd probably only eat seafood as a meat source.   They cry and scream in agony at a frequency I can't hear, much like plants.

AND ... yes they do:

"Researchers in Israel found that plants make a high frequency clicking sound when placed under stress. During a six year study, the researchers listened to a variety of plants including tomatoes, grapevines, tobacco and wheat. The plants made noises when they were cut or when they were thirsty."

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/04/02/scientists-have-recorded-the-sound-plants-make-when-they-are-under-stress#:~:text=Researchers in Israel found that,or when they were thirsty.

20 hours ago, Seppius said:

What a fruit market that if, only place I buy now, never seen beef there must open my eyes next time

Closes before lunchtime. You’ll need to go in the middle of the night. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I've been purchasing my beef online from a local 'market' in Korat. He ships frozen in a 'styrofoam cooler' via a copy that stores the frozen food between shopping points. I've never received anything that has started to thaw, but that from his place in Korat to bangkok and then to my house.  I'll bet they have something set-up in pattaya, too.

http://www.koratchef.com/  

I used to order meats (frozen) from Patts to Udon Thani, and shipped by bus, and never signs of thawing on arrival.

11 hours ago, Raybangkok said:

Tesco is now doing Australian steaks and mince. Found them to be quiet edible with good flavour and not too expensive.

Yes I had one of the pre-packed steaks they do, it was OK at about B170

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I've been purchasing my beef online from a local 'market' in Korat. He ships frozen in a 'styrofoam cooler' via a copy that stores the frozen food between shopping points. I've never received anything that has started to thaw, but that from his place in Korat to bangkok and then to my house.  I'll bet they have something set-up in pattaya, too.

http://www.koratchef.com/  

The Fillet Mignon looks nice. What are the delivery prices or minimum order details as can't easily find on the site?

20 hours ago, proton said:

Gave up eating all dead animals 51 years ago, still alive so far, some of the meat I see Thais eating I would only feed to dogs

Beef I got at a Thai restaurant recently a dog would turn it's nose at. Surprising really, as I had got a reasonable rib-eye and not bad pork ribs there before. I have given up eating live animals (knowingly!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, Guderian said:

Siamburi's has imported NZ and Aussie steaks and other cuts at prices that aren't ridiculous.

When I lived in West Africa many years ago, one English couple used to buy the (pretty awful) local beef and hang it for a week or so in their storeroom in one of the wife's stockings. Don't ask me for the details, but I used to eat it and it was tender and very nice. If you're into that sort of do-it-yourself thing you could try it with the Thai beef, which is nothing like as bad as the African version was.

The other alternative is to buy a slow cooker or Dutch Oven and cook a tough, fatty joint for 10 or 12 hours, until it becomes like braised stewing steak, tender and falling apart. I do this to make a stew and it's very easy, just needs a bit of patience.

But beware of the electricity bill.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, Guderian said:

When I lived in West Africa many years ago, one English couple used to buy the (pretty awful) local beef and hang it for a week or so in their storeroom in one of the wife's stockings.

I was stationed in Morocco many years ago.  During orientation, we were warned about buying the meats hanging in local market stalls.  Specifically, we were warned NOT to buy any meats WITHOUT flies around it.  It seemed that some meat sellers figured out Americans hated flies so sprayed their products with "RAID".

• Sad 1

On a FB Pattaya food page, several people recommend a beef market in the Rai Vanasin evening market on Soi Country Club.  They claim they get excellent cuts of beef at very low prices.   Just before the "Mr. DIY"

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NextG said:

I didn't see a single fly. The comment below by @dddave makes me think...

12 minutes ago, dddave said:

I was stationed in Morocco many years ago.  During orientation, we were warned about buying the meats hanging in local market stalls.  Specifically, we were warned NOT to buy any meats WITHOUT flies around it.  It seemed that some meat sellers figured out Americans hated flies so sprayed their products with "RAID".

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I didn't see a single fly. The comment below by @dddave makes me think...

The flies would still be attracted, but they would be dead. 
Do you imagine the meats in Morocco back then were chilled/refrigerated? 

On 4/14/2023 at 6:17 AM, DJ54 said:

pork ribs … boil

Don't. Best will be to smoke them in a smoker. Don't have one - use indirect heat on a grill. No grill? Cook in an oven. No oven? forget about ribs. Boiling ruins the texture.

Thai-French beef (some pieces sold on Makro, also from the farms) is good and not very expensive. Other than that, I buy imported beef, mainly Australian / NZ. BigC / Foodland / local importers. But yes, good beef in Thailand is expensive. Can you take standard Thai beef and make it tender? sure you can. As a stew for example. But not as a steak. Marinades won't do the trick. Tenderloin could be an exception though as it could be tender enough even in the normal Thai beef.

Edited by XGM

17 hours ago, XGM said:

Thai-French beef (some pieces sold on Makro, also from the farms) is good and not very expensive. Other than that, I buy imported beef, mainly Australian / NZ. BigC / Foodland / local importers. But yes, good beef in Thailand is expensive. Can you take standard Thai beef and make it tender? sure you can. As a stew for example. But not as a steak. Marinades won't do the trick. Tenderloin could be an exception though as it could be tender enough even in the normal Thai beef.

Have you tried " Velveting " ? A method used by Chinese chefs to tenderise cheaper cuts of meat