Honest cost

19 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I would struggle at less than 40,000 a month. 

OP, regarding your age, a trip to India to have some "rods" inserted is less than $3000 all in. 

Stays hard all the time, your girlfriend(s) will love you!

Stays hard all the time......But THAT Would be very UNCOMFORTABLE !!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

If you arrive on a tourist visa and then apply for a 90 day non O retirement visa in Thailand, health insurance is not at the moment compulsory - if you apply for the non O from outside Thailand it is.

But it's still a good idea to have a decent health insurance, or a lot of money for emergencies.

Many of us don't want to be another go-fund-me.

16 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

OP

If you need to ask these questions, are you really prepared for the life changing experience of living in Thailand.

Sounds like you have done very little research to me

Wouldn't this be part of his research.  Already has 800k for visa.  Obviously been here before, maybe just not in a while, or lived  an expat existence, instead of holidaying, as different mode & expenses.

I've been here 20+yrs, and I picked a pointer or 2, insurance wise, and reconfirms to me, glad I never I bothered with.

Got a good consensus, living, feeding one self for 10k is easy enough, and beer & insurance would be his other expenses, and 25k left for that.  

Health ins. or not would be the big ??????   Beer, depends on intake, where purchased, assuming he knows that.

Doesn't come off as ill prepared at to me.  When others, definitely didn't have a clue or never been here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Wealthy European friend retired in Pattaya just turned 74 yo, just renewed his health insurance, been with same compnay close to 30 years, lowest level health insurance 124,000Baht for 12 months. 

Also got a reminder that renewal on 76th birthday will be the last time. Afer that company will not renew. 

Just typical insurance companies, they will take loads of money from you for years, then when you reach 76 it's bye bye.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm married to a teacher  age 63 so government hospitals sort of free for me but I still have insurance which is expensive around 120.000 we own some properties which gives us around 25.000 baht  a month  profit which we use to live on paying  rent. electric. And  running a car and bike with some European food that's  for 2 of us wife dont drink or smoke but i do both also that's living in thung song so not a tourist place so yes 35000 is more then enough

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, still kicking said:

I just wonder what it would cost me to move back (I mean to live a decent life)

You have lived here for long time as you mentioned. You should already know answer to your question !!! ????

A decent life cost as much as you want it to be decent and every single person has a different idea about a decent life therefore the cost of decent life could be from ฿10,000 (it could make life decent for many Thai) to whatever you can afford. 

7 minutes ago, The Theory said:

You have lived here for long time as you mentioned. You should already know answer to your question !!! ????

A decent life cost as much as you want it to be decent and every single person has a different idea about a decent life therefore the cost of decent life could be from ฿10,000 (it could make life decent for many Thai) to whatever you can afford. 

I was only worried about medical insurance which I didn't have before and the cut off age

Edited by still kicking
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kennw said:

And good luck for even trying to get health insurance at that age. Most dont want to know you the rest want an arm and a leg, circa B15,000/month

Welcome to Thailand govt health care for everyone.

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

I just compared some health insurance for Ex-Pats in Thailand at my age, 76 by the time I move, I think I give it a miss. I be better off coming to Thailand ones or twice a year which I can afford. Here I still have my health covered for free being a pensioner, any hospitalisation is free. Well, I might be needing help in a few years when I get a bit older, which I won't get in Thailand. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat but a bit younger, and do the exact same thing. For me, living in Australia and going to Thailand during the winter suits me best. We have someone living in the house the other 9 months of the year. Apart from the potential medical issues, the heat knocks me around the older I get.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

I just compared some health insurance for Ex-Pats in Thailand at my age, 76 by the time I move, I think I give it a miss. I be better off coming to Thailand ones or twice a year which I can afford. Here I still have my health covered for free being a pensioner, any hospitalisation is free. Well, I might be needing help in a few years when I get a bit older, which I won't get in Thailand. 

Wise decision 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

I was only worried about medical insurance which I didn't have before and the cut off age

I did a quick search on Mister Prakan for Health Insurance for a 76 year old and it looks like there are some companies that offer policies but as you would expect you will need to chat to them about the specific costs / coverage... 

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/main?lg=en

You can put any email address in on the front page to see the providers, one thing I did note is that a deductible seems to be compulsory on all products & this ranges from 100K - 1Million THB. 

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Wouldn't this be part of his research.  Already has 800k for visa.  Obviously been here before, maybe just not in a while, or lived  an expat existence, instead of holidaying, as different mode & expenses.

I've been here 20+yrs, and I picked a pointer or 2, insurance wise, and reconfirms to me, glad I never I bothered with.

Got a good consensus, living, feeding one self for 10k is easy enough, and beer & insurance would be his other expenses, and 25k left for that.  

Health ins. or not would be the big ??????   Beer, depends on intake, where purchased, assuming he knows that.

Doesn't come off as ill prepared at to me.  When others, definitely didn't have a clue or never been here.

Even in Pattaya you can live on 40k a month 

I tried it for awhile 

But yes you can if you live in a rented room under 8k a month 

Then you only have electricity,water etc 

I would rather live in Thailand on a Australia old age pension than Australia!

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

I just compared some health insurance for Ex-Pats in Thailand at my age, 76 by the time I move, I think I give it a miss. I be better off coming to Thailand ones or twice a year which I can afford. Here I still have my health covered for free being a pensioner, any hospitalization is free. Well, I might be needing help in a few years when I get a bit older, which I won't get in Thailand. 

Probably best because as you have seen it would be loaded against you at your age.

Add to that your probably better off cherry picking the few good months a year Thailand actually has.

Recent years have only gotten worse & worse pollution & temperature wise during the bad months.

Now they also start to realize govt assisted artificially low energy rates were not sustainable. Should have been obvious when we always saw fuel prices comparable to elsewhere in the world why was electricity so cheap?

But as you say most ex-patriots get free or can get free healthcare in their own countries + many other benefits if needed compared to ZERO in Thailand

So yeah go enjoy 3+ cool months with good air & climate a year & smile ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sipi said:

I'm pretty much in the same boat but a bit younger, and do the exact same thing. For me, living in Australia and going to Thailand during the winter suits me best. We have someone living in the house the other 9 months of the year. Apart from the potential medical issues, the heat knocks me around the older I get.

You go for 9 months a year ?

Can you still get the pension ?

Do U find tenant easy for 9 months?

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You go for 9 months a year ?

Can you still get the pension ?

Do U find tenant easy for 9 months?

Self funded retiree. We've got family in the house when we're not there.

• Like 1

I know the OP is not in Pattaya but I have worked out a budget for a single farang living in a condo in Pattaya without insurance, please tell me if it's right and anything I left out 

Monthly budget 

studio Condo jomtien 10k

Electric 2k 

Water 500

Transport 500 ,motorbike taxi,bus etc 

Food supermarket 8000

Internet cable 2k

Entertainment 5k

Other expenses - 3k, gym , medical etc etc 

30,000 baht 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your replay, but to correct you I don't need to pay any rent and I have my own place; I will live in Ratchaburi. No cars no nothing, yes electricity and food but I am only worried about health Insurance if I can get that at my age