UPDATE: Injured young Brit transferred to UK for treatment after 3 months in Thailand hospital

snoop1130

1 minute ago, BTB1977 said:

Sure, blame the rental shop because he decided not to have the right insurance coverage and not  wear a helmet.  

I agree. is it really their job to turn away business. Not likely. Can only require them to check for licences, and perhaps require obligatory inclusive insurance. At least a warning about requiring it!  I always rented bikes when in Thailand....  a bit safer back then, far less traffic. 

27 minutes ago, itsari said:

That should  be the case for sure .Refuse to pay until you see an itemised invoice .

I thought standard. Mind you, if you don't pay doubt will they they let you go......? Another day added. I have heard of passports being withheld. 

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

And yet I see every day here in Pattaya, foreigners of all ages riding around with no helmet, thinking (or blissfully ignorant/careless) they will be fine and nothing will happen to them.  Many also speeding, drunk as well. I won't be forking out cash to help fund a repatriation or hospital costs to these people, with their brains half hanging out their head, guts ripped open, crumpled broken bodies bleeding all over the road.  Bad luck. 

Important to appreciate that everyone (tourists and ex-pats) have choices. If they insist upon riding a moto then wear protective gear. Best avoid drink and substances too. Better still ride a baht bus, take a mototaxi or a taxicab. Maybe they could even walk? 

• Like 2

The Motorbike rental shops should held responsible and punished, every time they rent out a motorbike without checking, that the renter has the correct permit to drive the vehicle in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Looks like yet another fine example of Thai medical expertise, as Preston Hospital removed it (within days??)

Maybe just as bad as Turkish plastic surgery/butchery these days. 

Yeah.....remove the Catheter before the flight!! You have no Idea, am I right?????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Conditions and quality of Thai private hospitals are far better than NHS ones in UK.

You also forget to mention that Thai medical expertise have saved this mans life.

I'd much rather receive treatment in a Thai GOVERNMENT hospital than an NHS hospital in UK. In my experience Thai doctors want to give treatment. In UK they look for reasons not to. 'Monitoring your condition' equals doing nothing whilst your condition gets worse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Important to appreciate that everyone (tourists and ex-pats) have choices. If they insist upon riding a moto then wear protective gear. Best avoid drink and substances too. Better still ride a baht bus, take a mototaxi or a taxicab. Maybe they could even walk? 

I don't recall tapping out that rubbish.

Moderator, please check if if I am being trolled

????????

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Good news the young man is back home and slowly recovering. 

I would like to see more responsibility placed on businesses that hire out motorcycle's to people with no license . 

Yes... Because heaven forbid anyone take personal responsibility for their actions.  Always someone else's fault, and always other people should pay. 

• Like 2

Glad he is back in the UK in hospital  with his family 

After his experience hopefully people coming to Thailand will  have the proper insurance cover plus read the small print????

But  some will still come with limited or no Insurance ????

Being a case of it won't happen to me ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I've been renting and owning scooters accident-free in Thailand for 12 years now, although I am considerably older and a lot more cautious than young people.

The bike and Thai roads are not the problem, IMO it's attitude.

This is true. Attitude, speed, drinking. Be cautious and it's not that dangerous. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aussienam said:

rents a motorbike above 50cc must have completed a bike competency test in the UK, which he didn’t know because the shop that rented him the bike only asked for his money and driving license."

And they can read English ?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've been renting and owning scooters accident-free in Thailand for 12 years now, although I am considerably older and a lot more cautious than young people.

The bike and Thai roads are not the problem, IMO it's attitude.

While your approach will certainly mitigate to a considerable extent your chances of an accident there still remains a considerable element of peril from the environment on the roads in Thailand . The RTA statistics don’t lie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

"Why is that man so angry mummy......why is he saying such horrible things.......he's scaring me......can we go home now?

Me too.

Seriously chum.......you've got a problem.

Did he actually say any of the above or did you just make it all up?

Think you're the one with the real problem.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes... Because heaven forbid anyone take personal responsibility for their actions.  Always someone else's fault, and always other people should pay. 

We all must take responsability for our  actions but if they do not the society has to pay through the nose for there folly . Hence the need for making a motorcycle hire business be sure the renter has a license . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He wasn't licensed for a M/C in the UK, what made him think he could drive one here, he knew the law and ignored it. Tough titys. Get well soon. 

Tough luck for the British tax payer as well. That is why society makes rules to avoid that happening .

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I agree, but maybe also, a complete and inclusive break-down of the hospital bill in Thailand as well? 

I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years and I soon learn't that anybody who puts their trust in Thai people espcially businesses such as motor cycles, jet skis and even para gliding are potentially heading for trouble where it can be a serious health danger or even a serious rip off.