Chonburi hotels struggle with labor shortages amidst influx of tourists

webfact

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Those jobs where one can sit in air conditioning playing with your phone require far higher intellect and qualifications! (We have to be fair, in that many do have some English!)

The girl I know who works in a 5 star hotel they have to handover their phones at the start of their shift, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The girl I know who works in a 5 star hotel they have to handover their phones at the start of their shift, 

Are you surprised? Same in many countries for some staff.

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Only until they ditch their two typical, very stupid requirements:

1) University degrees

2) Not older than 35

Would the doors be open to many Thais, particular poor Issan ladies, left to work only as roadside stall vendors or market hawkers.

Knock-knock... room service sir, you wanted a massage?

images.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did she also suggest that the hotels pay an attractive wage to encourage the workers to return, even though it might mean a rise in what in Thailand are low hotel rates?

The article is distorted, Pattay does not represent Chonburi.

I live on the outskirts of Chonburi and around here has seen massive expansion due to the pandemic with ex tourist sector employees returning to the area.

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

1) University degrees

2) Not older than 35

Would the doors be open to many Thais, particular poor Issan ladies, left to work only as roadside stall vendors or market hawkers.

Why do they require University Degrees to work in hospitality. 

Nothing better than good old fashioned on-site hands on training. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mywayboy said:

Why do they require University Degrees to work in hospitality. 

Nothing better than good old fashioned on-site hands on training. 

Not all front office staff in top hotels have University degrees-my partner has qualification from Aksorn  and that and an interview were sufficient to be accepted. He cannot be the only one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

Really? In the top hotels Receptionists are not permitted to sit down-they stand for all of their 10hr shift When you have 150 rooms occupied by Thais checking out at the last minute , noon, and another 150 waiting to check in at 2pm it is not much fun-I can assure you. I mention Thais because they use the limits whereas foreigners tend to drift away during the morning giving the cleaners time to clean.. Clean 150 rooms in 2 hours? You need an army of cleaners for that! And, by the way, they all speak and write excellent English.

Yeah, it's terrible isn't it. I hear many of them are on the waiting list for jobs working the sewers as it's easier!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Good idea.... as it creates a bad impression. But I have certainly seen hotel receptionists with their phones. 

9 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

1) University degrees

2) Not older than 35

Surely they are not asking for university degrees for cleaning staff and kitchen helps ? Most of my usual haunts have employed Burmese , excellent workers, some Cambodian but speak little Thai. All legal. One very good restaurant in Phuket has had 3 chefs in one month ! Left for no reason ! 
Then there’s the long hours., low pay, and huge problem, nowhere decent to live ! Every year I spend a few months in Thailand, buy my own fans as don’t like constant air cons, pots and pans ,towels. Clean pillows, hate ones that aren’t new. Then I give them to the waiters and waitresses when I leave. Ive seen plenty of awful lodgings, clean enough, but really basic shared between a few, one

as a waiter I know with his whole family on the floor! 

same problem in lots of countries beach resorts, no decent lodgings , low pay, long hours. No staff .
Have a look at some of the places for rent around Soi 5 Jomtien, or that Russian enclave further down after the temple . 10,000 Baht a month for a ….hole, and the 5000B ones forget it., The government lives in their own cosy homes with transport and good pay, they have no idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe if you gave the Burmese proper rights and pay equal to Thai's 

Heaven forbid, that citizens from a "neighbouring country" might display a willingness and ability to serve and speak English better than a native Thai. Tut Tut!

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, jacko45k said:

Those jobs where one can sit in air conditioning playing with your phone require far higher intellect and qualifications! (We have to be fair, in that many do have some English!)

Lets not forget brown envelopes from families to secure a job for their Daughters and Sons.

• Haha 1

Before finding a place to live I stayed at a hotel in central Pattaya for a few weeks. I never noticed a shortage of staff at reception or elsewhere throughout the hotel, and things appeared to moving quickly and smoothly even at 100% occupancy. Maybe it's the 3 star and under hotels unable to find capable and trustworthy staff at minimum wage? Real shocker there.