Move Forward party leader’s political future uncertain

webfact

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Regardless of this particular 'political activist' regularly dobbing in viable opposition candidates to the EC, CC and other regulatory groups of questionable political bias, one would think that any clever and well-educated leader of any opposition would have eviscerated any and all linkages to anything vaguely suspicious. Especially after how his predecessor was similarly and successfully jilted at the altar at the last rodeo.

There's no known antidote for stupid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

.......and the establishment media [under the thumb of those guys] does everything in their power to stir the pot.

It's what they do. 

Which is why someone like this should not be doing something as stupid as holding shares in a media company - even I know that much.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Did they not learn anything from Thanathorn last time that he was banned for media shares? I hope there is nothing wrong this time because I don't believe that it will be accepted that Move Forward is being banned now.. I foresee big problems if they decide against the party. What is the reason by the way that media shares are such a hot item for elections?? I am wondering if there is nothing to find for the complainer.. I suppose he is not an angel too and it is shameful that 1 man can hold a whole country back from progressing...

The company may be defunct as a broadcaster right now, but a) it's still actively doing lucrative business and b) maybe he's hoping to ramp it up again to broadcast level after election?

Stupid stupid.

I cannot believe two leaders of the same party are in trouble for exactly the same thing. You would think Pita would have got rid of the shares in advance, knowing the stink they would cause.

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Funny how the Thai Military can own several TV channels to continually push their agenda but anyone else with a political interest banned for owning a few shares.

Excellent point. Not much different to Prayuth's friend Putin really.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes and I believe Pheu Thai is also in trouble for something or other - its so predictable and boring that I can't remember the details.

A party could be squeaky clean but the moment they seem like any kind of threat to the generals and the elite families they protect and serve, some false claim or other would be made.

Thailand will never change and will always remain 'owned' by, I think its 6 elite families - without a civil war.  I don't think the real 'opposition' have sufficient funding to make any sort of credible challenge to the generals so that's hardly likely.

Anyone who doesn't understand why I refer to the 'generals' should read the 2018 constitution where they effectively granted themselves the power to control the country forever.

What I find most strange is that most Thai's I speak to, say they are aware of what goes on, know they don't have a true democracy and are unlikely to ever have one - but just accept that that's how things are.

Strange, as I'm writing this in the UK, there's a story on the BBC news that makes exactly the same point about the 'generals' as I do above.  The BBC's Jonathan Head states that Pheu Thai is favourite to win and Move Forward are gaining ground but that whoever wins the actual election, they could find that they are blocked from entering government by the Senate (general's puppets).

My money's on months of legal action and turmoil with no resolution for a very long time.  The general's are unlikely to accept anyone who either isn't in their pockets or is likely to have any actual power.

True democracy. [whatever that is]

What is this?

And where does it exist and function?

4 hours ago, BusyB said:

Which is why someone like this should not be doing something as stupid as holding shares in a media company - even I know that much.

Does holding shares as an executor mean the same as owning the shares?

10 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Yes indeed, my wife tells me that the shares were owned by his father and are in a trust; but she said regardless of that, the rule is that any candidate cannot own more than 5% of a media company, and she tells me that these shares equate to less than 1% …. but they are doing everything they can to try and derail him, because his popularity is burgeoning faster than the speed of light.

Nonetheless, the ruling elite will dig up any unsubstantiated or bogus claims.

Just putting it out there is to their advantage. 

All the while, the crack investigate media ignores the criminal activities of their paymasters.

Rather convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I agree with this in a way but sorry I have to disagree in another. It has already been delayed. The new administration as you call it will be the coup makers by hook or crook. The people will rise against the coup makers. They've had enough. I've been saying for quite some time the people will rise up. I might be wrong and Prayut will go peacefully and accept the will of the people but I don't think so. If you believe Prayut and his cronies will accept the will of the people then you believe in Santa Claus.

Keep in mind that he who has most toys all the guns, wins.

Always.

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

All the while, the crack investigate media ignores the criminal activities of their paymasters.

Rather convenient.

You are aware that a truly free press isn't an option in Thailand and it has been that way for at least as long as there have been coups.

"it ceased operations in 2007". The Ministry of Commerce might come in handy in clarified this point, the Ministry of Finance could also report on eventual tax returns, the Department of Labour could report of Social Security contributions by the company, which apparently "ceased operations in 2007".

If Ruangkrai is wrong, then I would sue his backside for defamation, spreading of false news and make it crystal clear, that Ruangkrai's statement were timed in such a way, that it would smear the name of Pita without him being able to get external proof prior to the whole Sunday .........

On that note, maybe it is time to scrap that old dinosaur law as well? 

• Thanks 1