Teenage boy bitten by rat at food court in Bangkok shopping mall

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo by Patrick Kalkman on Unsplash and Facebook/ ออยศรีและผองเผือก

by Petch Petpailin

A Thai mother sought help on social media after her teenage son got bitten by a rat while dining at a shopping mall food court in the Pathum Wan district of Bangkok after the mall refused to be held accountable for the incident.

The Facebook page Oil Sri and the Gang (ออยศรีและผองเผือก) received a complaint about the shopping mall from the Thai mother and shared the story last night.

According to the page, the 19 year old visited the shopping mall’s food court on Tuesday, May 2. While he was eating, a rat ran out of a food shop and bit his foot. A picture attached to the post shows the boy’s right foot with blood around the toe.

The mother revealed that staff members of the shopping mall provided the boy with first aid and let him go after he signed a document stating that he allowed the mall to provide first aid.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/teenage-boy-bitten-by-rat-at-food-court-in-bangkok-shopping-mall

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 minute ago, webfact said:

mall refused to be held accountable for the incident

Get the shots then worry about getting the 200 baht rabies cost later.

Priorities before costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai mother sought help on social media after her teenage son got bitten by a rat while dining at a shopping mall food court in the Pathum Wan district of Bangkok after the mall refused to be held accountable for the incident.

I wonder how she will react when he comes home with his first love-bite?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How is Social media going to help?

People are weird, whatever happens, they want to show the world.

It seems in thailand the one way to gain govt and police action is for a story to show up on social media. In this type situation it's one of the only effective methods to get action, if truely warranted, unfortunately. 

Now there's also the reverse side where there are those that feel they are "influencers" and use it as a platform for pure attention or monetary gain or reward because in their minds they are special. Those are the dregs of social media and personally have no interest in them and feel they are mentally lacking in some key areas. 

I would be nice to know name of mall food court ,so it could be avoided,

not normal for a rat to just run up to you and bite you , and they carry

so many nasty diseases , I bet the food court has those health and cleaness

certificates up on the walls , when in reality ....... ????

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How is Social media going to help?

People are weird, whatever happens, they want to show the world.

You should be happy that they're bringing Thailand's endemic corruption to light. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

after the mall refused to be held accountable for the incident

Could you imagine if malls were held accountable?  There seem to be rats everywhere and I can't imagine how much would need to be changed to keep them out.  I don't think many places could still trade, especially the outdoor kind.

• Like 2

About 15 years ago, a lady got bitten by a cobra at the big Super Cheap in Phuket! Then a few years later, it burned down. But now it is rebuilt out of steel instead of bamboo so it can't burn down any mores but there are still rats running around inside the store. Birds also! Maybe a cobra or two! This is part of Thai living!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steven100 said:

i guess in the US or UK he would have got 200k to say nothing .....    

the rat would be praised on fox news as the kid was a person of color.......

perhaps the GOP nominee as hes on par with the Former Rat.......aka the Perfect Rat..many are saying..beLIEve me...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaisail said:

About 15 years ago, a lady got bitten by a cobra at the big Super Cheap in Phuket! Then a few years later, it burned down. But now it is rebuilt out of steel instead of bamboo so it can't burn down any mores but there are still rats running around inside the store. Birds also! Maybe a cobra or two! This is part of Thai living!

need some kitties there to control things and the kids can take selfies with rat kitty patrol!

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I got bitten by a rat recently as well , rats seem to have gotton more aggressive ever since Trump got elected 

I've been bitten several times by Thai's .....   but never a rat although I could call them that now   !!

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I would be nice to know name of mall food court ,so it could be avoided,

not normal for a rat to just run up to you and bite you , and they carry

so many nasty diseases , I bet the food court has those health and cleaness

certificates up on the walls , when in reality ....... ????

regards worgeordie

looking at the two marks, that rat deep throat is toe before dropping the teeth in !!

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

By bringing media attention to the Mall and their avoidance of responsibility... why may just well trigger them into doing something about this issue.

Social media is an extremely powerful tool...   Is can be use to ‘persuade’ business to take the correct course of action, especially in Thailand where oversight is so very poor the only tool remaining to push for accountability is to potentially impact the bottom line (i.e. poorer publicity through poorer custom - Now, if the draconian defamation laws were removed we’d all be better off knowing which businesses are substandard and have rats running around etc).

As harmful as social media is, it's actually one of the few things that seems to be making a difference in Thai society.

Unfortunately, we have the other side of it in Western countries, where it isn't the little guy standing up against the big guy anymore.