Move Forward Scores Surprise Victory; Pita To Become PM

webfact

27 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I don't think it's Anutin that did well rather than BJT did well. My wife dislikes Anutin but says the local BJT candidate here in Kanchanaburi is good and works hard.

Oh well.

Off topic posts, bickering personal attacks, and a discussion on Marijuana have all been removed.

The OP Is: Move Forward Scores Surprise Victory; Pita To Become PM

Comments about Thailand's Monarchy have also been removed.

Continue and you will have a posting holiday.

4. You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any member of the Thai royal family whether living or deceased. You will not criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments or discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing His Majesty The King of Thailand or the Thai royal family. You will not link to or discuss any website which breaches this rule.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

We have the same problem in the UK with the House of Lords which is loaded with lefties. Despite the overwhelming success of Tory governments in elections, they can't seem to redress the balance. I don't give much for the success of the new Thai govt in this respect.

Me neither. Thailand now has a left wing house and a right wing senate. Nothing much will change. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

They will not, no other elected governments "went after" their predecessor governments, its live and let live system, (translation: we won't touch you and next government will not touch us) 

"we won't touch you and next government will not touch us"

Of course only elected governments are expected to follow that rule.  Never the coup governments.

• Like 1

This is excellent news, but I expect there will be a judicial coup in the near future, followed by a military coup if the ensuing protests go on too long.  It's definitely progress, but the future will not be easy.

I found this especially interesting:

"Pita’s party has won all 33 Bangkok constituencies and swept all constituencies of several provinces in all regions of the country including the capital city’s neighbouring ones." 

The "elites" (dinosaurs) have lost Bangkok, the city that they made the focus of wealth and power in Thailand.  The people are screaming that they want the relics of bygone ages out of government.  Will the relics listen?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

A very small side note: I wonder what the future now holds for the arrogant cha cha supporter who did several years jail time in Australia for drugs?

He was originally a Thaksin acolyte back in the days. 

Last I heard he has something to do with the oil and gas training centres in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was anticipating this "unexpected" orange landslide. My Facebook feed was swamped with the colour orange, from the middle class and upper middle class young (25- 35) thais of Bangkok in my feed, there was not a single non-orange supporter. Not one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

It will be interesting to see how hard the new government led by Pita goes after the outgoing government for their crimes. No better way to prevent future coups than to lock up the perpetrators of the last coup.

Exactly! And it has happened exactly zero times, hence there have ALWAYS been future coups.

If you think the new government is going to "go after" the outgoing government you have exactly zero understanding of Thai politics.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, realfunster said:

I really don’t think that is going to happen…and if we do indeed want some level of peace and stability in the country, I suggest it is better to just reconcile and “move forward”.

If Thaksin can be forced out of the country, then worse should happen to Cha Cha as a lesson that governments should be elected by the countries people, and not hiding behind soldiers, tanks, and guns.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My guess, it will be the same confusion and corruption, at least previous governement had many years of experience and in those fields and it was less visible... just an opinion    

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Both Move Forward/Pheu Thai are anti weed for recreational use.

But that's what Anutin always totally said but wink-wink nudge-nudge allowed (and I think encouraged) the opposite--the way things work here all too often. That said, pot is not and should not be considered the big issue at this time. I don't indulge but would bet that it is here to stay. There's too much money already involved.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, hoopmonk said:

Actually, this is what he hoped and expected. A coalition of Pheu Thai and Move Forward should suite him quite well. 

Maybe, but I expect he thought he would be the one with the upper hand, not Move Forward. The dynamic has very definitely changed

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Enzian said:

But that's what Anutin always totally said but wink-wink nudge-nudge allowed (and I think encouraged) the opposite--the way things work here all too often. That said, pot is not and should not be considered the big issue at this time. I don't indulge but would bet that it is here to stay. There's too much money already involved.

You do have good a point. Money talks at the end of the day. 
I'm an ex weed smoker, but i don't touch it these days as it has a tendancy to induce paranoia and anxiety. I'm just one of the unlucky ones that suffes such effects from weed. I have no issuies with people smoking it. i think it should remain legal but there aslo needs to be  education around the  potential negative effects from it. 

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Like Thatcher in the UK, it's amazing how Thaksin always gets a mention after being out of power for many years.

What a ridiculous analogy!

When was Thatcher's sister in power? When was Thatcher's daughter contesting the most recent election? When was Thatcher in exile and the possibility of her return dependant on the outcome of an election?

No, discussions about Thaksin in the context of this election have nothing in common with people talking about Thatcher after UK elections (if they ever even did??)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1