Most charming Thai towns

bignok

Maung Kao Sukhothai is looking good and has been transformed quite a bit, no ugly electric cables, internet cables.

Pavements and pretty lamp posts.

Improvement's ongoing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Baan Rak Thai, about 20 km from Mae Hong Son, way off the beaten track. A lake surrounded by shops whose main stock in trade seems to be lollies.

The only place I have ever seen an albino Thai.

Nan, Phetchabun and Loei are nice, also Sukhothai, although that is more like a city.

For anyone who likes wood carvings, IMO Phrae is the place to go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianburi said:

Wichian Buri in Phetchabun province.  A few miles from any major routes and with an old fashioned high street (Main Street for our US folk).  It has a certain laid back charm.....

Shhhhhhhh ????

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

How am I supposed to drive from Songkha to Roi Et to Phrae?

I would say that the first step is by car, rental or owning - up to you? But, I would think surely you must know this, right?

If you want something easier maybe try the old city of Chiang Mai - quite charming to walk around in... 

• Haha 1

Chiang Khan is good for an overnight, Ditto Nan and Chantaburi.

Lampang pretty much never sees a tourist. Phrae supposedly has the biggest collection of old teak houses. I've been her a year and have been to Pai 3 times. 

These places are good en route to a real place, but 3 days in any of them would have you reading a book a lot on day 3. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I would say that the first step is by car, rental or owning - up to you? But, I would think surely you must know this, right?

If you want something easier maybe try the old city of Chiang Mai - quite charming to walk around in... 

I was joking 

I would not say it is charming; however, the warren-like market at Mae Sai just short of the crossing into Tatchilek is very interesting, and has items which are really not all that legal.

I like Chantaburi and Ubon as practical towns with charm here and there. Chaing Rai in 1985 seemed nice. Phuket town has some nice areas with mix of lovingly tarted up older buildings but still a fair few almost derelict buildings. Walked through this big old fifties hotel the other day that is no longer a hotel. Big foyer, broken down lifts and totally run down, with 10 residents hanging in there. Seemed a bit of that amongst the nice restored hotels and restaurants. 

Not sure what is meant by "charming" The scenery is spectacular in many parts of Thailand but I would like to introduce the aspect of the architecture and quaint little towns; interesting walks around them, with privately owned businesses, shops that are a little different from the main stuff, lovely restaurants. And of course a small matter of the locals being friendly.

My brother-in-law is visiting Thailand for the first time in November and he asked me, what is the Thai architecture like? Although, I have been to many places all over Thailand, I have found that architecture amounts to temples and little else. To check this opinion I visited Google and architectural images of Thailand to discover- it is mostly about Temples.

I am sure there are pockets of interesting architecture and "charm" in Thailand; I have a found a few, particularly in Songkhla, especially the "old town"

• Like 1

How on earth Karon on Phuket got onto this list is a mystery.   Nothing but a few resorts and low level shops and restaurants.   Lanta Town (obviously on Koh Lanta) is worth a wander around for an hour or so (too small for anything more).

Edited by pagallim