British family offer reward for their 17-year-old boy to be ‘detained on sight’ after he went missing in Thailand’s ‘Sin City’ Pattaya

webfact

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Character building. 

His own adventure to recount in the pub... when he is old enough.

Yes he will  laugh about it in time to come.

But now, oh dear, can you imagine the things that will be said on social media and by the people in his home town. :shock1::giggle:

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:37 AM, quake said:

10,000 baht reward.

Got to be a Thai person come up with that figure.

Is that what your boy is worth mum and dad.

says a lot about them I think.

He will not forgive you for going to the news papers now. 

Look at it this way. In Thailand the minimum wage is around 350 (?) Baht per day. In the UK it's £11.XX per hour, so (I reckon) we should always think of money in those proportions. I often hear 'English teachers' in Thailand reacting with outrage at the wages on offer, when they haven't considered what I just mentioned. That, and the fact that real teachers (ie with a teaching degree) can earn considerably more.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:50 AM, Gottfrid said:

Why are you blaming the parents. The guy in question is 17 years old, and should be able to take care of himself. Like @BritManToo says it´s 16 in the UK. I was travelling abroad alone at the age of 14-15. My god! The only way to blame the parents in any kind of way here, is that they might not have been teaching to call back home and send pictures of the girls.

My parents could not control me even when I was under 16, so they knew they would be wasting their time trying it when I was over 16.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I think it is 16 in Scotland. It definitely was when I was young.

When my parents married (in England) in 1956 it was 21. My dad was 20 at the time and had to get written permission to get married from my grandmother????

Edited by Andrew65
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Character building. 

His own adventure to recount in the pub... when he is old enough.

I was talking the other day to a friend who came here at 18 to get married, so the woman could get British citizenship. They were divorced in Singapore the same week, and he has so many stories to tell of his VIP treatment in Pat Pong.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Hi all. Thanks for all of the help. Ryan White has been found safe and well and is getting a flight home today,

According to Bangkok Expats FB group, I bet he's gutted 

Ah just saw this after posting

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:25 AM, Gaccha said:

I am looking forward to how this plays out. My guess is:

There is an obvious danger of somebody actually listening to the parents and promptly detaining or kidnapping or abducting the kid.

If they take him straight to the police station, then presumably the police will do nothing to those who make the illegal detention. 

The police themselves will take on their paternal role and encourage him to head home.

All for the grand sum of 10,000 baht. Perhaps they think this is a lot of money in Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:18 AM, jvs said:

Not enough information,is he here alone?Blame the parents,he will be eaten

alive in Pattaya and i am sure he would be easy to spot.

Some one who is 17 can be very responsible but can also completely lose it.

HM,...He might have the time of his life, Bar girls can really take good care of young people...and this is no intended sarcasm.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In a country where the minimum monthly wage is about that...it is.????

I don't know where you live, but 10,000 is not and hasn't been a lot of money in Thailand for a long time. The cost of a good night out in Pattaya won't see much change from 10,000 baht. A decent hotel will cost you over 5000 a night. My monthly rent is 30,000. We're talking about foreigner spending in Pattaya as tourists, not a rice farmer trying to survive in Northern Thailand.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I was 17, I went to Pattaya back in the late 1970's with my eldest brother being 21 and a friend of age in between. R&R from work in Saudi Arabia.

Had a ball, but got the clap, penicillin shots back at the base in Riyadh.

The previous year, was introduced to Thailand along with Dad and Mum, my two elder brothers and younger sister.

Dynamics were three rooms at the Montien Hotel.

Room 1: Dad and Mum, Room 2: Mike & Dave (Elder brothers), Room 3: Me and my younger sister Sandra.

Short term room rental when needed at aged 16 was possible.

My elder brothers were left to fend for themselves in Bangkok "as planned per the itinerary", because after 3 days in Bangkok, Dad, Mum, myself and Sandra carried on the tour to:  Hong Kong, Seoul & Tokyo.

The rest of this bi-annual escape for me was then an introduction to Culture, Temples, Cuisines,   

Don't sweat the boy will be fine, expect a go-fund me page if he hasn't got funds.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:13 PM, picctrainop said:

That’s Not True… Parents Have To Give Written Permission For Their Children To Travel Alone Under The Age Of Eighteen…

Not the case for the UK, according to lawstuff.org.uk

As they state on their website:

If you are under the age of 18 – It is up to the airline or travel operator whether you can travel abroad. Either you or your parent should contact the airline and check what their policy is on children travelling on their own or without parental consent.

Holiday without parental consent

It is true however that some countries (Portugal for instance) will not allow unaccompanied minors into their country without written permission from the parents.

21 hours ago, firemans35 said:

As someone here mentioned, in the UK at 16 he doesn't need to answer to parents so at 17 I assume he's considered an adult and not a minor as his Aunt said.

Somebody said that, but it's not true.

The age of majority in the UK is 18. Teenagers in Scotland have some increased rights at age 16 (the right to get married, for instance) but even there, the age of full majority is still 18.

As stated on the UK Law Reform Commission's website:

on January 1, 1970, the age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 years. (See Family Law Reform Act 1969 ...)

The Law Relating To The Age Of Majority

• Thumbs Up 1