China overtakes Japan as world's top car exporter

China says it has become the world's biggest exporter of cars after overtaking Japan in the first three months of the year.

Officials figures show China exported 1.07m vehicles in the period, up 58% compared to the first quarter of 2022.

At the same time Japan's vehicle exports stood at 954,185, after edging up 6% compared from a year earlier.

The jump in China's car exports was boosted by rising demand for electric vehicles and increased sales to Russia.

Last year, China overtook Germany to become the world's second largest car exporter.

According to China's General Administration of Customs, China exported 3.2m vehicles in 2022, compared to Germany's 2.6m vehicle exports.

The shift away from fossil fuels has helped fuel the rise of China's motor industry.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, proton said:

Even the ones which explode into flames like their electric ones? They may be making more than Japan but will never overtake Japanese cars for reliability, Chinese cars are cheap for a reason.

EVs don’t explode into flames. Some batteries do but considering that 90% of batteries worldwide are being made in China, there is as much chance that it could catch fire in an European or Japanese made car as a Chinese made one.

It’s obvious you haven’t been shopping for a new car in recent years. If you had, you would realise that dollar for dollar, Chinese made cars are of equal if not better quality than Japanese made ones.

Toyota had to recall all of their By4zs worldwide due to the risk of the tyres falling off. Not very reliable if you ask me lol.

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My branded and 'made in CH' are my favorites.  Though only one brand/model, ICE & EV - MG ZS.

Can't say best yet, as need to stand the test of time, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't become the best I've owned.  ICE only had 2 yrs / 40k kms before sold and no issues, as one would expect.

Think I've owned a good variety of, as no allegiance to any brand ... until now. 

Owned VW, Ford, GMs (Pontiac, Buick, Chevy, Caddy), Chrysler/Dodge, Datsun/Nissan, Mazda, Toyota.   Made in USA, Germany, Japan, and now TH & China.  

Unless a major oops, surely the MG ZS EV will be my last car, as will my wife's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope anyone planning on spending ฿550k and up, on any product would do some research on said product.

Yes, I Google'd/YouTube'd ... "MG ZS EV fires" and not one fire, and few credible negative reviews of.  Along with SAICs ICE & EV history/track record.  Lots of praising & award winning, worldwide for MG & ZS.

Was interested in 2020, for EV, though ignorant and still skeptical myself of EV, and so glad I waited 2 yrs to buy in, as updated version w/govt incentive, though buying in at 2020 wouldn't have had much regret.   ZS EV being available already for a few years, with no major issues.

Actually getting the ICE version was a fluke, as not a fan of the MG3 when first introduced, and only saw the ZS (unplanned) when taking another peek at the MG3, years after introduced, see if upgraded enough to interest us, as it was time for a new ride.  Took the ZS for a short test ride, and the rest is history ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I hope anyone planning on spending ฿550k and up, on any product would do some research on said product.

Yes, I Google'd/YouTube'd ... "MG ZS EV fires" and not one fire, and few credible negative reviews of.  Along with SAICs ICE & EV history/track record.  Lots of praising & award winning, worldwide for MG & ZS.

Was interested in 2020, for EV, though ignorant and still skeptical myself of EV, and so glad I waited 2 yrs to buy in, as updated version w/govt incentive, though buying in at 2020 wouldn't have had much regret.   ZS EV being available already for a few years, with no major issues.

Actually getting the ICE version was a fluke, as not a fan of the MG3 when first introduced, and only saw the ZS (unplanned) when taking another peek at the MG3, years after introduced, see if upgraded enough to interest us, as it was time for a new ride.  Took the ZS for a short test ride, and the rest is history ????

How much is the ZS EV here?

A post with a video from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed:

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source. In some circumstances a moderator may relax this rule and this will be determined on a case by case basis. If this rule is relaxed a moderator will post a public notice explaining the limit and scope of the relaxation.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Granted, I am partial, but I will buy a Japanese car over a Chinese car, any day of the week, and likely for the remainder of this lifetime.

1. They are proven commodities. They have a track history.

2. They are very dependable. And easy to repair.

3. They are great cars, for the money and have good resale value.

4. Japanese cars are very safe. The jury is out on Chinese cars. I have reason to question the quality of the workmanship.

5. I do not find Chinese cars appealing anyway. MG looks nice on the outside, but on the inside they feel cheap to me, and the power train is not sufficient. They have cut corners.

6. They are made by a government that does not have huge concentration camps, nor do they engage in organ harvesting.

Call me biased. I despise the CCP, and will do everything in my power to deny them support. There are alot of products I buy that are made in China. Not my car. Not now, and not ever.

The South Koreans have overtaken the Japanese in terms of technical excellence and build quality. Some are better than the German brands, and considerably less expensive.

They are not seen much in Thailand, as they are not manufactured here and attract the usual 100% (or more) customs duty.

The Hyundai Kona N SUV is a seriously good vehicle. AWD, 1.6 L turbocharged engine, 8 speed double clutch gearbox.

It operates in Eco, Normal, Sport and N mode. In Sport mode, its handling and acceleration are phenomenal. N mode is really only for use on a racetrack.

All done with onboard computers which automatically adjust ride, handling, engine, clutch and steering characteristics

I would agree Chinese vehicles are unproven as yet. In Australia, I understand getting spare parts for them is a nightmare.

The LDV brand has quite quickly established the capacity to rust beyond an owner's expectations, according to a YouTube video.

• Like 1

There has be a huge reduction in the price of ICE vehicles in China and the public there were expecting similar reduction in EV when it didn't happen they have postpone their purchases because they believe it will happen soon

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/business/china-electric-vehicle-prices.html

Chinese auto price war drags down battery raw materials prices

“Prices for traditional vehicles fell by as much as 100,000 yuan [around $14,600]. This has attracted many customers because this type of car is still more convenient to use compared with EVs,” one source said.

https://www.fastmarkets.com/insights/chinese-auto-price-war-drags-down-battery-raw-materials-prices

Chinese automakers wouldn't survive without export markets at the moment

Edited by vinny41
add

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The South Koreans have overtaken the Japanese in terms of technical excellence and build quality. Some are better than the German brands, and considerably less expensive.

They are not seen much in Thailand, as they are not manufactured here and attract the usual 100% (or more) customs duty.

The Hyundai Kona N SUV is a seriously good vehicle. AWD, 1.6 L turbocharged engine, 8 speed double clutch gearbox.

It operates in Eco, Normal, Sport and N mode. In Sport mode, its handling and acceleration are phenomenal. N mode is really only for use on a racetrack.

All done with onboard computers which automatically adjust ride, handling, engine, clutch and steering characteristics

I would agree Chinese vehicles are unproven as yet. In Australia, I understand getting spare parts for them is a nightmare.

The LDV brand has quite quickly established the capacity to rust beyond an owner's expectations, according to a YouTube video.

Totally agree about the Korean cars. And many Korean products as well. Kia is also a great brand, as well as Hyundai, Genesis, and Renault Samsung. Other brands like Samsung and LG, are top quality, in the electronics arena. 

The Chinese need decades to prove themselves to the world. They make an awful lot of low quality stuff. Can they, and are they willing to master the kind of quality control the Japanese and Koreans have, remains to be seen, by a longshot.

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally agree about the Korean cars. And many Korean products as well. Kia is also a great brand, as well as Hyundai, Genesis, and Renault Samsung. Other brands like Samsung and LG, are top quality, in the electronics arena. 

The Chinese need decades to prove themselves to the world. They make an awful lot of low quality stuff. Can they, and are they willing to master the kind of quality control the Japanese and Koreans have, remains to be seen, by a longshot.

Yes, China does make a lot of low quality stuff. If you know anything about commerce and economics (such as demand and supply), you will know why.

China also makes a lot of very high quality stuff, including cars, You may disagree but the worlds’ car buying populace is putting their money where their mouth is by buying huge numbers of Chinese made cars. Hence, this thread.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes, China does make a lot of low quality stuff. If you know anything about commerce and economics (such as demand and supply), you will know why.

China also makes a lot of very high quality stuff, including cars, You may disagree but the worlds’ car buying populace is putting their money where their mouth is by buying huge numbers of Chinese made cars. Hence, this thread.

Car buyers are buying Chinese cars because they are cheap. Probably hoping their purchase of a new vehicle does not bite them later on.

China does not have any reputation for high quality cars, because the industry is too new to establish those credentials.

Permit me to doubt you can point me to any Chinese vehicle that has the technological development of a Hyundai I30N or a Kia Stinger, the Chinese are making cars for the mass market.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, proton said:

Even the ones which explode into flames like their electric ones? They may be making more than Japan but will never overtake Japanese cars for reliability, Chinese cars are cheap for a reason.

???? I hear echos... 

"Those Japanese cars will never overtake American cars for reliability, Japanese cars are cheap fo a reason".

Now substitute Korean. 

Now substitute Chinese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the anti CH crowd a bit hypocritical, as so much of their life & products rely on products from CH, whole or parts of.  The grid, most cars, all made with CH products/parts, or CH supplied raw materials.

They support CH way more than they think, whether buying a car 'made in CH' or not.

Simply being able to be on this forum, they are supporting CH.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Try telling me something I don’t know, instead of everything I do.

That notwithstanding, I do everything I possibly can to minimise supporting the vile, despotic CCP. It was not easy last week, and more expensive, to buy a lawn mower that was not made in China, but I eventually found a Japanese made one, which was 30% more expensive, a price I was delighted to pay.

Some Chinese components are impossible (for now) to avoid, but my conscience demands that I do my best.

I do not have to buy large consumer goods like their rubbish TV’s, washing machines, refrigerators, etc; and I certainly don’t need to buy their garbage cars.

Also, would you be kind enough not to shout at me by using upper case font, it is against forum etiquette, and is rater rude … many thanks

Good you knew those little tidbits already.   

I hope for your conscience, the vendor doesn't go out and buy a Chinese EV with the additional profits he made from your purchases ????

The more we spend here in TH, supports CH even more, as CH is one of TH's largest trade partner.

Every baht we put into the TH economy, yep, a lot goes to CH.

May want to consider moving to some anti CH country.  Good luck finding one, and it won't be the USA

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It is probably because some commenters on this forum understand that every time a Chinese car is sold, it helps to fund the burgeoning military machine of the despotic, repressive, expansionist CCP.

Those of us that believe in democracy and human rights for everybody on planet earth, are not very keen on that eventuality.

First of all, it’s CPC, not CCP. Education is beneficial.

I support a country that has lifted over 700 million of its citizens out of extreme poverty, where literacy is over 90%, where hardly anyone is homeless (unlike a major Western country). For Chinese citizens, this is what they consider human rights. Democracy (Western style) means nothing to them.

I also support a country that assists to improve living standards of under developed and developing countries around the world, especially in the Africa continent. Listen to the words of the African leaders and not the western propagandist MSM (although I doubt you will).

For the same reasons you avoid buying Chinese made products, I absolutely boycott any US products as part of the proceeds undoubtedly goes towards military equipment and ammunition that has killed millions of innocents and has brought us to the brink of another global conflict.

Back on topic, it costs me 1 baht to drive 1 km in my Chinese made car. Can’t think of a better reason to buy one lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1