Pita Limjaroenrat: Meet Thailand’s (probable) next leader

webfact

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I doubt that the likely manoeuvrings of the "establishment" will be unexpected. Other leading figures within MFF remain in the background to keep the movements " powder dry" 

MFF and the coalition they are assembling exist to force and conduct profound reform of Thailand's government and governance. I am sure that they hope, and will be delighted if, this election mandate is enough to put them in power. It likely won't, and they will have expected and planned for that. They will eventually get there, but it may first entail the physical overthrow of the "ancien regime" followed by fresh elections.

Any bans or disbarrments, be it Pita, Thannathorn, or even the Thaksin siblings, will be meaningless, and will be rapidly overturned once that overthrow happens. So maybe he is a short term sacrifice. But he is a young man, as is his predecessor. They have plenty of political milage left.

Agree, and if anything, is showed the younger generation, they now have choices.  Hopefully, if Pita gets banned, it will be just him, and not the whole party.  That would be a bit of a setback, and once again, a wait to next election cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, and if anything, is showed the younger generation, they now have choices.  Hopefully, if Pita gets banned, it will be just him, and not the whole party.  That would be a bit of a setback, and once again, a wait to next election cycle.

Yes, the sudden rise of FF showed the desire of many Thais for reform which none of the other parties offered.

Dissolving them simply led to the ascent of MF. The banned three leaders still made a very visible presence. Indeed, there was a public quarrel recently between Piyabutr and Pita about policy.

If they dissolved MF, its MPs can move to another party and rename it keeping the 'Forward' as part of the name, ' Forward Forever' sounds good to me!.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

He did see it coming. Have you not been reading aka educating yourself.

Didn't delve into it that much, as totally irrelevant to my life in TH, but also not seeing anywhere stating he expected or planned on dealing with the issue.  Maybe you could provide a link to that tidbit.

Stating that he found it 'impossible' to get rid of his shares, doesn't change the fact, he holds them.  

Clue me in on what I'm missing, please.

From VOA:

image.png.598d7eddf5a05a8d21549467dacdcd7a.png

It may come down to he said / he said, 'did' / 'did not' inform of holding shares.  Both irrelevant, if letter of law followed, holding shares disqualifies him from holding office.

Public pressure to enforce the rule ...

.... or not.

Personally I'm not optimistic on his chances of winning, when they vote to ban or not.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He promised change in Thailand. But will he be allowed to lead?

BY SUI-LEE WEE
THE NEW YORK TIMES

screenshot_19860.jpg
Pita Limjaroenrat, leader of Thailand's Move Forward Party, at the party headquarters in Bangkok on Thursday | LAUREN DECICCA / THE NEW YORK TIMES

BANGKOK – When Pita Limjaroenrat was a student at Harvard in 2008, he shadowed his American classmates who were campaigning at the time for Barack Obama. The experience gave him a window into electoral politics, from phone banks and polling data to knocking on doors and putting campaign flags on front lawns.

Fifteen years later, Pita said he used what he learned in Massachusetts to help his recent campaign in Thailand, where he stunned the country’s political establishment by leading his progressive Move Forward Party to a momentous victory.

For decades, Thai voters had known only two dominant political forces: one led by conservative royalists and militarists and the other by a populist billionaire living in exile. Supporters saw Pita, 42, as the candidate who represented change and a return to democracy after nine years of military rule that was preceded by a coup. On the stump, he promised to undo the military’s grip on Thai politics and revise a law that criminalizes criticism of the monarchy.

But his path to prime minister remains uncertain.

image.png

This article originally appeared in The New York Times. © 2023 The New York Times Company

Full story: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/20/asia-pacific/politics-diplomacy-asia-pacific/pita-limjaroenrat-thailand-allowed-to-lead/

japantimes-logo-tagline.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat is on the road to becoming Thailand’s next prime minister after his three-year-old progressive party’s shock victory in last Sunday’s general election.

On the road but it seems it's a very long, twisty and dangerous path.

I hope for all those wishing change in Thailand he navigates it carefully.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Let us hope the greedy, toxic, moronic, backwards, incapable nitwits get the message, and back down. 

They need to figure out a way to get rid of the corrupt, army appointed senators. ASAP. By whatever means necessary.

I agree totally with your post, but the above are numerous and set in their self indulgent lifestyle.

They do not take kindly to young upstarts who are going to change things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr B said:

As is often the case in the forum, the "facts" are very hard to establish. Still I note that you have referred to shares in iTV, as some others have, as "his shares". However I have also seen it suggested that (i) they were shares bought and held by his late father, and (ii) that he is an executor of his father's will. One would therefore need to investigate and understand probate law in Thailand. If it is similar to that in UK, and it may well not be, then I think being an executor may give one management rights over the assets on behalf of the estate, but not necessarily ownership, unless they were left to him. This would appear to be consistent with the suggestions by Khun Khemthong that he was trying to sell the shares, not as an owner but on behalf of the estate. It seems to me that, with what we know, there is at least a clear path via which he never has been the "owner" of the shares. Whether or not that is supported by the facts remains to be seen.

Yes, read same, as how he 'acquired' or got 'control' of the shares.  Does give the EC and CC room for some discretionary leeway, if they see fit, to let him remain.

As you say, we don't have the exact facts, and may never have.  Next week or month may be interesting.

Really hope Pita & party take the helm, as TH needs a break from the very old junta regime.

Give it rest fellows, you got your millions, just retire already.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Dr B said:

As is often the case in the forum, the "facts" are very hard to establish. Still I note that you have referred to shares in iTV, as some others have, as "his shares". However I have also seen it suggested that (i) they were shares bought and held by his late father, and (ii) that he is an executor of his father's will. One would therefore need to investigate and understand probate law in Thailand. If it is similar to that in UK, and it may well not be, then I think being an executor may give one management rights over the assets on behalf of the estate, but not necessarily ownership, unless they were left to him. This would appear to be consistent with the suggestions by Khun Khemthong that he was trying to sell the shares, not as an owner but on behalf of the estate. It seems to me that, with what we know, there is at least a clear path via which he never has been the "owner" of the shares. Whether or not that is supported by the facts remains to be seen.

For the points you raise my personal opinion is that the EC will refer the matter to the Constitutional Court. 

As far as I can tell neither the Organic law on elections or Constitution define the meaning of shareholder,  in the context of nominee , manager in a trust or beneficial owner.

5 hours ago, bignok said:

I doubt much will change.

Well if he is successful in pulling together a coalition of the required number of votes he will need to sell his soul to the entrenched.  Hopefully he can still make a bit of progress in a few key areas so he can build experience, trust and a track record in future elections. Don’t expect too much it is naive.  He has a lot against him.  He needs time.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't delve into it that much, as totally irrelevant to my life in TH, but also not seeing anywhere stating he expected or planned on dealing with the issue.  Maybe you could provide a link to that tidbit.

Stating that he found it 'impossible' to get rid of his shares, doesn't change the fact, he holds them.  

Clue me in on what I'm missing, please.

From VOA:

image.png.598d7eddf5a05a8d21549467dacdcd7a.png

It may come down to he said / he said, 'did' / 'did not' inform of holding shares.  Both irrelevant, if letter of law followed, holding shares disqualifies him from holding office.

Public pressure to enforce the rule ...

.... or not.

Personally I'm not optimistic on his chances of winning, when they vote to ban or not.

I'm not going to do spoon feed you. There have been articles on here and elsewhere about Pita's response to this.

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed