‘Not Thailand anymore’: Russians are flocking to this resort island — but not all is well in paradise

webfact

48 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:
5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Isaan is looking more and more attractive everyday.

It still does—stunning women, quiet lifestyle, lower cost of living.  And coastal areas only a few hours away.

Quite a lot of hours away ,to be accurate- not exactly a day trip . And if wanting the more attractive Andaman coast getting on for 2 days drive. Hotter too… ???? 

38 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

We’re they equally ambivalent when you slammed it into their face… ?

Honestly, they simply expect you to do as you please - either hold it or don't; they will look after themselves.

7 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

HUH ? they are degusting arrogant pigs. I just spent 4 months in Jomtien in a Russian condo block and I wasnt aware there were a thousand of them. never ever again bye bye Jomtien !!

Maybe they thought similar about you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Those are the ones with money and are connected in all probability, lets see them burning Putin effigies and protesting against the war if they are not complicit I would say ????    

Do you really think that someone with a few thousand dollars is connected? The money that the elite have is mind-blowing. These people in Pattaya are definitely not in that league.

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

You don't hear them moaning like the Ukrainians eh?

Perhaps all the money they spend in Phuket can be redirected out of Thailand to damage costs they have inflicted on their neighbor and they might be more welcome.

It is not the Russian people responsible for the war in Ukraine, that lies with Putin.  Hence the amount of Russian young men trying to flee the call up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

It is not the Russian people responsible for the war in Ukraine, that lies with Putin.  Hence the amount of Russian young men trying to flee the call up.

i wonder if they are really against the war or just dont want to die.....that is the big question. I know some are against of course but then you see old babushkas happy for their retarded Putin leader and would sacrifice their sons just to serve the Judo Botox Tiranic Killer

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Do you really think that someone with a few thousand dollars is connected? The money that the elite have is mind-blowing. These people in Pattaya are definitely not in that league.

You need more than a few large to buy property in Phuket though and who mentioned elite?????  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

You need more than a few large to buy property in Phuket though and who mentioned elite?????  

You said they were connected; they are most likely middle or working class. The thread is about the presence of Russians in general, not about a few very moneyed individuals who would most likely not be mixing with the hoi poloi.

5 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i wonder if they are really against the war or just dont want to die.....that is the big question. I know some are against of course but then you see old babushkas happy for their retarded Putin leader and would sacrifice their sons just to serve the Judo Botox Tiranic Killer

A lifetime of indoctrination and an almost religious fervour about the importance of the state and it's infallibility can do that to you. Add a state controlled media and brutally stifle dissent and you are not going to see a lot of opposing views. 

27 minutes ago, parafareno said:

Not a question.

Most Russian draft dodgers don't want to die.

Ask them and 99 percent will support Russia holding Crimea and the majority Donbas.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't mind the Russians, they keep to themselves, most don't bother others and you rarely hear them moaning and complaining like some. 

We've got a few moaners and complainers here. 

You don't have to hear them whinging, from the look on their faces they're all as miserable as sin. You'd think that being on holiday here in paradise with the hot weather, beaches and friendly people, away from war they'd be happy. Wrong! They all look like they have a severe dose of piles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Walker88 said:

It's a well-written article, and I don't believe the female writer is a kid.

Perhaps you should open the LINK and read it.

I think the reporter got off to a bad beginning and bad end mentioning that Phuket was still suffering from the tsunami , which was 20 years ago nearly !! I was there long before, and a good while after, and I can tell you that  Phuket was  rebuilt rather quickly and people flocked there to help. They also had a lot of government help with money etc. That’s when the island started to go downhill , when many locals sold up cheaply and moved in with family, rather like when the Covid crisis arrived. In came the investors with their multi story buildings and cheap bungalows,  and also a lot of rather nice ones like you see in Surin / Kamala and other areas. Beautiful views and still totally unspoiled.  One Thai friend I have bought two houses and a shop in Kata plus a nearly new posh suv. Another friend bought a whole row of townhouses, admittedly a bit run down, redone them all up nice and then rented them out to mostly small businesses. 
Spent three months there last year where Kata was a ghost town, not even  roads lights were working ! Rented a nice condo, cheap, near club med. it was great to see my old friends but I was bored stiff. The few working restaurants were full of Russians !! Worried Russians, tho they always look grumpy. 
My friends called me in January to say not to come back this year , I’d hate it. Russians, pooling their cash to buy cheap condos , Rich ones paying any price asked. Lots of westerners moving out ! Loads of Russian kids and young families.

So I went to Jomtien , it isn’t much better , tho at least my condo this year was anti Russian , so lucky. 
Bali was full of Russians too , same problem, disliked by everyone and creating hell on the roads. 
They are not welcome here in the south of France , or anywhere in EU , so they will stick to Asia .

I do wonder how so many can stay so long/ spend ? Russia must have a lot of millionaires. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Fat, rude, obnoxious, entitled, chain smoking, beer and vodka swilling reprobates …. and then of course, there are their husbands ¯\_()_/¯

Some of there women are babes though, even if they are as miserable as sin.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Why?

I live in Isaan; and I love it. Don't think there is a better place to live in the world.

Went there twice at the insistence of the missus sixteen years back, since then have resisted all attempts by her to drag me back there. How farang manage to live there in their little jungle clearing surrounded by noisy nosy neighbours is beyond me. Ok for back to nature types I suppose.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:
3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I prefer not to meet new people, I find the people I meet these days (all nationalities) are best avoided. 

then why are you commenting here? you obviously want to voice your opinions to people you dont know. sometimes best to keep your opinions to yourself... or your tight knit team

Are you one of the people I avoid. 

Sorry if I offended you, anyway I'm free to voice my opinion. 

BTW, next time we pass I'll give you a wave. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

47 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You said they were connected; they are most likely middle or working class. The thread is about the presence of Russians in general, not about a few very moneyed individuals who would most likely not be mixing with the hoi poloi.

Its a communist totalitarian state with a wanted war criminal as president they are all connected and tainted by it  end of story ????  

• Thumbs Up 1

Off topic posts about Canada and Trudea removed topic is about:

Not Thailand anymore’: Russians are flocking to this resort island — but not all is well in paradise