‘Not Thailand anymore’: Russians are flocking to this resort island — but not all is well in paradise

webfact

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Went there twice at the insistence of the missus sixteen years back, since then have resisted all attempts by her to drag me back there. How farang manage to live there in their little jungle clearing surrounded by noisy nosy neighbours is beyond me. Ok for back to nature types I suppose.

I dont think many have a choice and just convince themselves they like it there.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roxy01 said:

Early days yet , you obviously haven’t had any dealings with them if you had, your opinion would be somewhat different. 
I thought I would like them until I started meeting them and having multiple and numerous interactions. 

Of course there are and always must be exceptions however I’ve yet to find them yet 

Have had Russian friends and many interactions over the last 20 years and most were pleasant.   You will get a good following on this forum with your populist post but that only is a reflection that there are numerous fools here on this forum that love to be liked.  What type of person are you that can't interact with Russians?  A simpleton is my guess.  Growup...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Quite a lot of hours away ,to be accurate- not exactly a day trip . And if wanting the more attractive Andaman coast getting on for 2 days drive. Hotter too… ???? 

Not that far if you live in southern Isaan.  I would know—since I make the trip often.  And we have no Russians or Chinese up here.

Edited by Isaan sailor

1 hour ago, maddox41 said:

Where are the  Russian hot spots in Phuket now?? 

Like what areas do they like to live  The new Russian communities in Phuket 

Kata beach was popular with Russians for a good while. I met one massage parlor lady who said her boss was Russian. So obviously under the table work/ money. Now Kata is mainly Russian .

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Isaan is looking more and more attractive everyday.

Why ?   In April to end May?  No way!  Too warm.  But then again with all these "quality tourist" flocking Phuket one might consider and prefer the Isaan heat!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Why ?   In April to end May?  No way!  Too warm.  But then again with all these "quality tourist" flocking Phuket one might consider and prefer the Isaan heat!

It is cooler in Isan in the mornings and evening than Krabi.  Regardless, I struggle with the heat in all areas in Thailand in May.  In May,  hope is near and the wait is intolerable.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Border runs. Dozens of minivans going to the Malaysian border and back every day.

Just came back from a trip down to Hat Yai and. You’re not kidding loads of nutty van drivers

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the more russians in los the less workers he has to build rockets and service IT back home

Exactly. if the western countries really wanted to ruin the Russian economy and stop the war they would have introduced the permanent residency visas and other relocation programs for skilled Russian workers. But as the war is actually beneficial for the western decision makers they instead create all possible hurdles and annoyances for the Russian citizens willing to leave their country.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ask them and 99 percent will support Russia holding Crimea and the majority Donbas.

because the majority of the population of Crimea are ethnic Russians and some of them even were born when Crimea still belonged to the Russian Soviet Republic. Despite the western claims of "referendum at gunpoint" most of Crimeans really support joining the Russian Federation.

And Donbass/Luhansk is Putin's personal game, we the people don't need those.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, fdsa said:

because the majority of the population of Crimea are ethnic Russians and some of them even were born when Crimea still belonged to the Russian Soviet Republic. Despite the western claims of "referendum at gunpoint" most of Crimeans really support joining the Russian Federation.

And Donbass/Luhansk is Putin's personal game, we the people don't need those.

Crimea

Ethnic Cleansing

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Exactly. if the western countries really wanted to ruin the Russian economy and stop the war they would have introduced the permanent residency visas and other relocation programs for skilled Russian workers. But as the war is actually beneficial for the western decision makers they instead create all possible hurdles and annoyances for the Russian citizens willing to leave their country.

There actually has been a historically significant brain drain of Russian technical talent related to the war..

Visa policies are a complex country specific thing.

They go to many places and don't necessarily need  formal residency visas to.work.

Dubai is very popular

Many work remotely for Russian companies faking their location.

Putin.wants them back.

In any case you are promoting a vile and false conspiracy theory that western powers want this war..

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I'm trapped...........unless I leave the wife.........it's her land, her house, her money, next to her village..........so I am 'dying' here for free, but also saving 20k/30k baht a month rent money...... I really want to be in BKK.

What in your view are the highlights of BKK?

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me a while ago when I held the door open for a Russian family, and at least I got some reaction when I said sarcastically "Thank you? You're welcome!". The look that I got back let me know that at least they understood English!

yeah right...  years ago i saw a strugling family with shopping on a large road.. so, alone in my big enpty pickup I pulled over and pointed down the road ofering a lift, the man screamed ant me shaking his red head NOOOOO!!  then went off on Ruski at me..  since then I only offer lifts to thais who are always thankfull and polite, a true pleasure....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, isaanistical said:

ah yes, the internationally renowned go-to for Asian affairs.

Kid reporter on vacation or fam-trip more likely.

Leafs knocked out of NHL playoffs....so the cub reporter went to Phuket where the Russians in the NHL play golf in the off season...Toronto is not in Russia yet