The number of weed shops in Pattaya has reached absurd levels!

Jingthing

Isn't it just the way here... the market must be saturated. I recall thinking the same about coffee shops... and more so of tattoo parlours. I just could not expect that many people wanted to go get a drunken mistake inking! Thais do like to have their own business.

19 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why would number of weed shops impact anyone? If you're not into weed just ignore them and walk on by (just like people ignore Gogo bars, Gentlemens clubs and beer bars if they're not into them)

There is a very good reason to highly question things in life that dont make sense....Its part of having a active brain and using your God given intelligence, which seems to be seriously lacking in todays world....

When there is way to much or to little of something than there should be, an answer of WHY needs to be found.....

Example

There are 7-11 stores on top of 7-11 stores in Pattaya...WHY.....Most of them are still busy anyways......Question answered...

There are vastly more Indian restaurants than are needed for a city of Pattays size....Why? Unknown...

Same question about the number of Weed shops...Why so many?.....Anyone with half a brain can find vastly cheeper weed online with a tiny bit of work....So that leaves all the weed shops fighting over the One gram tourist

buyers....

Even if only 3 grams a day are sold at a inflated price of like 700 baht a gram some good mony can still be made....

700 baht minus 40% for what the shop paid leaves 420 baht profit per gram, 420 baht times 30 days = 12,600 baht a month gross profit off one gram per day sales.... Now lets make that 3 grams a day......12,600 X 3 = 37,800 Gross profit per month....

In a nutsell folks not much weed needs to be sold at inflated prices to turn a profit....Hence many weed shops in Pattaya......

Edited by redwood1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Supply & demand will weed out the good shops, visited by expats.  Tourists, oh well ... will there be enough in low season ?   If not, profits up in smoke and yet another failed adventure.   Next genius idea, maybe a box/P4P bar vendor ?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Supply & demand will weed out the good shops, visited by expats.  Tourists, oh well ... will there be enough in low season ?   If not, profits up in smoke and yet another failed adventure.   Next genius idea, maybe a box/P4P bar vendor ?

I am not convinced about your idealistic theory especially in tourism cities. Often it's the crappier for consumers businesses that survive shakeouts. Because of internal factors like better sourcing deals not passed on to consumers, being adequately capitalized  to eat years of losses and many others.

Reminds of an excellent South American restaurant that opened some years back in Jomtien by an experienced restaurateur. The food was excellent, the prices very fair, the service provided with love.

To the casual observer it looked like they had enough customers at least for a new business selling something different.

So.I asked the owner how long he had to make the place profitable as he had shared with me his stress related to the business .

He said less than a month  I was shocked. They soon vanished.

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So.I asked the owner how long he had to make the place profitable as he had shared with me his stress related to the business .

He said less than a month  I was shocked. They soon vanished.

Not even 1 month .... I wouldn't consider a product based business without at least 1 yr of operating expense, while developing a customer base.   No surprise of the failure rate of bars/restaurants here if that's their business strategy.  

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Many more weed shops than 7-11s. Many closed during the pandemic.

Now you're making stuff up. All the 7/11's I knew pre-covid in central Pattaya are still open and I'm guessing half as many weed shops max

I also think there are more Amazon coffee shops now than weed shops, they seem to be everywhere

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not even 1 month .... I wouldn't consider a product based business without at least 1 yr of operating expense, while developing a customer base.   No surprise of the failure rate of bars/restaurants here if that's their business strategy.  

Yes but the point was consumers were loving his food. I recall it had taken him a lot longer to open than expected so that short rope wasn't the original plan.

My point was that to say businesses that survive are necessarily the best ones for consumers is a silly ideologically based myth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Now you're making stuff up. All the 7/11's I knew pre-covid in central Pattaya are still open and I'm guessing half as many weed shops max

I also think there are more Amazon coffee shops now than weed shops, they seem to be everywhere

Not making it up.

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Many more weed shops than 7-11s. Many closed during the pandemic.

Meh. Perhaps in Pattaya, but overall, in Thailand?

In 2020, the Company has 12,432 branches of the 7-Eleven stores, divided into 5,431 stores in the Bangkok Metropolitan Region (44%) and 7,001 stores in provincial areas (56%). Stores are clustered into 3 types: Company Stores (46%), Store Business Partner (48%), and Sub-Area License Stores (7%).

https://www.cpall.co.th/en/about-us/our-business/convenience-store-services#:~:text=In 2020%2C the Company has,Area License Stores (7%).

Recent estimates on Cannabis shops: ~ 5,000.

2 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Meh. Perhaps in Pattaya, but overall, in Thailand?

In 2020, the Company has 12,432 branches of the 7-Eleven stores, divided into 5,431 stores in the Bangkok Metropolitan Region (44%) and 7,001 stores in provincial areas (56%). Stores are clustered into 3 types: Company Stores (46%), Store Business Partner (48%), and Sub-Area License Stores (7%).

https://www.cpall.co.th/en/about-us/our-business/convenience-store-services#:~:text=In 2020%2C the Company has,Area License Stores (7%).

Recent estimates on Cannabis shops: ~ 5,000.

Yes in Pattaya and Jomtien.

In the tourism areas.

Including Family Marts basically the same business model.

There was extensive discussion about this when it happened. 

It was very dramatic.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My point was that to say businesses that survive are necessarily the best ones for consumers is a silly ideologically based myth.

Agree with that, as been to more than a few, long running, highly rated vendors, I wouldn't return to.  Usually due to quality, as not worried about paying a bit more for good quality.

32 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sir take a drive around Pattaya sometime, the weed shops VASTLY outnumber the 7-11s......Amazon coffees # lol, they are a drop in the weed shops bucket.......

Heck the number of weed shops even put the Indian Restaurants to shame...

Edited by redwood1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Sir take a drive around Pattaya sometime, the weed shops VASTLY outnumber the 7-11s......Amazon coffees # lol, they are a drop in the weed shops bucket.......

I don't have a car, only follow tourist baht bus routes so I guess I stay out of stoner shop territory that you report ????

I still don't know why it matters, if they are not successful they'll close, if they are successful they prove being open is good decision

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Heck the number of weed shops even put the Indian Restaurants to shame...

It has become ridonculous.

We cannot rule out that all these stores have to close this year:

"An eight-party alliance led by the MFP has signed a pact outlining the working agenda of their proposed coalition government,...

Among the key items, is ... reinstatement of cannabis as a narcotic drug,..."

Edited by Espanol

37 minutes ago, Espanol said:

"An eight-party alliance led by the MFP has signed a pact outlining the working agenda of their proposed coalition government,...

The definition of insanity?

40 minutes ago, Espanol said:

The weed Genie can not be put back in the bottle overnight.....It would take a loong loong wind down over years....I say its here to stay..

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now we know offically there are 12,000 weed shops in Thailand from the News...Or one weed shop for every 5,000 people in Thailand.... But if you included all the online sellers and pop-up street sellers I bet the total could be 17,000 18,000 thosand sellers...

Following representatives of an estimated 12,000 cannabis shops nationwide expressing concerns about the new government relisting cannabis as a narcotic in Thailand, the Move Forward Party has said currently legal licensed shops would be legally protected

On 5/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, redwood1 said:

The weed Genie can not be put back in the bottle overnight.....It would take a loong loong wind down over years....I say its here to stay..

Sure it could be, but hope not.

There’s a huge one being built on the corner of 2nd rd & Thappraya now, weed town or something. It’s huge. Looks like a department store.

I think some of the smaller stores are trying to find something that makes them different then other places to stay in business, like having the grower on site to talk to customers about growing techniques they use, stuff like that.

27 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

There’s a huge one being built on the corner of 2nd rd & Thappraya now, weed town or something. It’s huge. Looks like a department store.

I think some of the smaller stores are trying to find something that makes them different then other places to stay in business, like having the grower on site to talk to customers about growing techniques they use, stuff like that.

Maybe they could combine with ball massage and Punjabi pizza?

That would set them apart.

The bulk of the retail business (weight and baht) will be satisfied by three to five large companies, each with five or six retail brands.

I think on-line sales will continue to be banned going forward, that's a limitation we see in the alcohol space (yes I know there are exceptions there, thebottlesbkk for example), so there will have to be physical stores.

The Canna OG Company model is representative...OG Canna Company brands – Wonderland, Kush House, Mary Jane, Cloud Nine

And yes, there will be small, boutique shops catering to local tastes.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Jingthing said:

The definition of insanity?

I have to say, this is the first video from this guy that I have found to worth watching. I was expecting a much different take. Perhaps it was the longer format? 

• Like 1