The number of weed shops in Pattaya has reached absurd levels!

Jingthing

People on holiday probably don't care much about the prices if they want to get high.

Yes, there is a glut but what about the glut of bars for many years a number of them with few

if any customers.  But, new bars seem to open up consistently. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

they just copy each other until they are  cannibalising  each other business,, normal situaton in LOS

You were faster.

And sure it will implode if the new government will tighten the rules even a bit.

I am guessing the growers are happy to financially sponsor friends and family to open shops and push the product, the money involved now must be staggering.

Seems like around Pratumnak a new one opens every week

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

People on holiday probably don't care much about the prices if they want to get high.

Yes, there is a glut but what about the glut of bars for many years a number of them with few

if any customers.  But, new bars seem to open up consistently. 

Money laundering? Or they like to burn their money? I don't understand this too. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Remember fish massage?

Coffee Buns, ca. 2006

https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/article/battle-buns

After the fad, it always turns bad.

Who cares how many cannabis shops there are, or why people feel the need to open one?

This boom/bust retail phenomenon is just normal here. How many nail salons, hair salons, massage joints, conveninece stores...are really needed?

These storefronts would probably be vacant otherwise. Occupied shophouses are always better than vacant ones.

If Cannabis remains legal for personal use, additional controls will limit purchase to a physical retail store, and online advertising, sales and fulfillment will be illegal (they already are, but other than the agregators, this is not really enforced).

Edited by bamnutsak

The market will correct itself as it does with bars, massage shops, coffee shops and restaurants. The best survive, the rest die away, sometimes slowly. Large chains seem to be in play and they will be hard to shift. The low season should thin out smaller sellers but every week I see more not less.

I think an MFP Government will leave the topic alone; it doesn't show on their list of priorities. If the old guard somehow retain power they will need help from Anutin's BJT, as they do now, so they will turn a blind eye too.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, champers said:

I think an MFP Government will leave the topic alone; it doesn't show on their list of priorities.

It's there, #17 Re-listing of marijuana as cintrolled (sic) substance and introduced laws to regulated beneficial use of cannabis.

The number of coffee shops <noodles shops, smartphone kiosks, etc> has reached absurd levels, but Mr. Market takes care of that in his own due time.
Same with cannabis shops.  Mr. Market will shake out the weak and unprofitable. 

Mr, Mrs, and Miss Free Market just need to kick back and watch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RayWright said:

The great economist, philosopher, entrepreneur, conservationist, script editor and all round nice guy, Douglas Adams had this to say on the subject....

The Shoe Event Horizon is an economic theory that draws a correlation between the level of economic (and emotional) depression of a society and the number of shoe shops the society has.

The theory is summarized as such: as a society sinks into depression, the people of the society need to cheer themselves up by buying themselves gifts, often shoes. It is also linked to the fact that when you are depressed you look down at your shoes and decide they aren't good enough quality so buy more expensive replacements. As more money is spent on shoes, more shoe shops are built, and the quality of the shoes begins to diminish as the demand for different types of shoes increases. This makes people buy more shoes.

The above turns into a vicious cycle, causing other industries to decline.

Eventually the titular Shoe Event Horizon is reached, where the only type of store economically viable to build is a shoe shop. At this point, society ceases to function, and the economy collapses, sending a world spiralling into ruin.

This reminds me of when I visited Madrid.

There was a district that seemed to have nothing but shoes.

Of course I bought a pair.. Turned out to be too tight.

"The number of weed shops in Pattaya has reached absurd levels!"

Let me know when it reaches the level of 'P4P' shops, as not been there in a while, and need a reference point ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"The number of weed shops in Pattaya has reached absurd levels!"

Let me know when it reaches the level of 'P4P' shops, as not been there in a while, and need a reference point ????

Good point. I don’t notice them any more but at least with those there is a well proven demand.