Thepprasit Road upgrade aims to reduce accidents, accommodate underground cables

snoop1130

Pattaya-Mayor.jpg

Photo via เรารักษ์พัทยา

In Pattaya, the construction of traffic islands on Thepprasit Road has sparked concerns among residents and business owners. Pattaya City Mayor Poramese Ngampiches reported he addressed these concerns, explaining that the traffic islands are part of a project to upgrade the road and its surrounding areas to accommodate future underground electrical cables, thus avoiding the need for re-excavation.

Mayor Poramese also highlighted the importance of the traffic islands in reducing accidents on Thepprasit Road, which have been frequent due to the absence of median strips, traffic lights, and emergency lights. He mentioned that surveys were conducted before the construction began to gather input from the general public and businesses on both sides of the road, with the majority expressing their agreement with the project.

Additionally, Mayor Poramese assured the concerned parties that he would investigate the issue further and work towards fostering a better understanding with the affected residents. This development aims to improve the overall infrastructure in Pattaya, benefiting both locals and visitors alike while ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone who uses Thepprasit Road.

Thepprasit Road has been notorious for accidents over the years. Only three weeks ago a motorcyclist lost his life in a tragic accident after speeding around a construction barrier and colliding with a commuter van.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/thepprasit-road-upgrade-aims-to-reduce-accidents-accommodate-underground-cables

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the traffic islands are part of a project to

enhance local officials bank balance. 

As Bradiston above points out this means a long, pointless, petrol-wasting drive with its resultant impact on the market. Watch the crowd vote with their 'feet'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What're another 3 to 5 years for the local businesses along this road to put up with? I'm sure they will be pleased with the islands in 2030 when it's all done in time to dig it all up again and put in bigger and more drain pipes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

Seriously they need to look at how long this has been going on for, its a joke 2nd road is the same 

Pattaya planning is atrocious and has been the same since as long as i can remember, whats wrong with these people.

Having a large market close to such a major busy junction is not the best planning certainly......

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

The only way to reduce accidents in Thailand is to take away all the cars and motorbikes, and give them buffaloes.

They have been in the cars and on the bikes for years . :giggle:

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

First the drains, now this disaster. Some brainless fool has totally stuffed Thepprasit. For instance, leaving Ratanakorn Market it's no longer possible to turn right. Anyone wanting to cross or turn right on Thepprasit has to drive all the way to the end of the stupefyingly pointless central reservation they've put in, almost the whole length of the road. So tailbacks from u turns will be enormous, and of course bring the usual driving hazards.

Just an enormous waste of money, time and resources, and totally unnecessary. And the guy lost his life trying to negotiate the obstacle course these nuts have turned it into.

Yeah, those medians there now are concrete and only about 2 feet high. At least  With motorbikes passing all over those need to be the orange plastic barriers, not concrete. There is a gap in the middle though, hope they put something taller in there for visibility.

Edited by JimTripper

With no dedicated u turn lane and only very few places to do so wait till that traffic backs up, especially now that the Chinese and their wonderful tour buses are back. Especially in back of my house ????

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

With no dedicated u turn lane and only very few places to do so wait till that traffic backs up, especially now that the Chinese and their wonderful tour buses are back. Especially in back of my house ????

Too right. It's not like Pattaya Nua which is wide enough for a turn right/u turn lane. It will be absolute chaos.

As for laying cables down the middle of the road? How do they reach them without stopping the traffic in both directions? As somebody said, the traffic engineering department at city hall need riding out of town. They're a bloody liability. This project will bring Thepprasit to a grinding halt. Used to be a pretty decent road, too.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, bradiston said:

Too right. It's not like Pattaya Nua which is wide enough for a turn right/u turn lane. It will be absolute chaos.

As for laying cables down the middle of the road? How do they reach them without stopping the traffic in both directions? As somebody said, the traffic engineering department at city hall need riding out of town. They're a bloody liability. This project will bring Thepprasit to a grinding halt. Used to be a pretty decent road, too.

If you're coming from suk and tyour kids go to aksorn thepprasit you need to go past thepprasit 6 to u turn around to drop your kids off or lick them up. Wait until the weekend night market where coming from theppraya you have to go all the way up to outlet to u turn to go back and park. Another wonderfully thought out plan 5555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live on Soi 10 and this morning just before 10am I went to Bangkok Bank (Thepprasit Branch). On arrival there was a crowd of people waiting so I thought blow this I'm going home for breakfast and come back later.

Therein lies the problem To do the u turn I had to go up to Outlet Mail . I knew that you cannot turn into Soi 10 from Thepprasit coming from Sukhumvit so I went to turn into Soi 8. That was blocked off as well. It meant carrying on to Kaan and doing a u turn there. As most people here know just after 10 this morning we were hit by a very short but extremely heavy rainstorm just as I was stationary to do the u turn. I have been through many storms here but this one was the worst I can remember for a long time. I wouldn't have minded but I was on my motorbike at the time.

Just as a bit of info the normal distance to the bank and back is roughly 2k, Today 3.7K

• Like 1

The median on the road is an absolute disaster, far too low. Yesterday saw one car straddled over the middle...one wheel in the gap, so the car frame sitting on the concrete lip. A week ago saw a bike in the same predicament.

Couple that with the dangerous high drain cover frames on the inside of the road...amazing engineering.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well they have finally done it. Completely f---ed up Thepprasit Road. As of today I can no longer turn right from my Soi (Soi 10) nor Soi 8 or even by backtracking to Imagine 79 and Khan . They have even shut that off.

What with stopping the right turns into Rattanakorn Market and The Weekend Market they have even blocked of Tesco from Thepprasit. You either have to go to Sukhumvit and do a u turn at the lights or the u turn before Tesco drive back to Outlet Mall 2 and then turn left drive through the parking lot until you get back to what was for most people the way  into the original  Outlet Mall and Tesco.

Pattaya planners deserve something and it's not a medal.

1 hour ago, roger101 said:

Well they have finally done it. Completely f---ed up Thepprasit Road. As of today I can no longer turn right from my Soi (Soi 10) nor Soi 8 or even by backtracking to Imagine 79 and Khan . They have even shut that off.

What with stopping the right turns into Rattanakorn Market and The Weekend Market they have even blocked of Tesco from Thepprasit. You either have to go to Sukhumvit and do a u turn at the lights or the u turn before Tesco drive back to Outlet Mall 2 and then turn left drive through the parking lot until you get back to what was for most people the way  into the original  Outlet Mall and Tesco.

Pattaya planners deserve something and it's not a medal.

Totally agree. As do Thais I talked to. Can't right into or out of almost any businesses, shops or even Sois. This is a total disaster.