Thailand’s cannabis farmers anxious over new coalition’s U-turn

snoop1130

Screen-Shot-2022-11-12-at-13.39.34.png

Cannabis growers in Thailand are expressing concern about a potential U-turn on legislation governing the recently-decriminalised plant, once the Move Forward Party is officially in power. The Bangkok Post reports that small businesses cultivating the plant are calling on the new government to classify only cannabis buds as narcotics.

Even if the Move Forward Party fails to form a government, all other parties, excepting BhumJaiThai, have made it clear, before and during the election, that they will resist cannabis as an illicit narcotic, only allowing licensed medical uses.

One weed farm in the north-eastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima is a joint venture between Rajamangala University of Technology Isaan and a local community enterprise. Canabis One @KORAT grows thousands of plants for distribution and medical use. The facility was given an official licence by the last government to operate as a cannabis clinic. It offers several forms of medicine, made from the leaves, buds, and roots of the plant.

By Peter Roche

Caption: Changes to cannabis laws in Thailand

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/thailands-cannabis-farmers-anxious-over-new-coalitions-u-turn/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Hey guys, read the MFP manifesto.

They want to regulate cannabis. Not stop it.

Get a license and follow the rules. You will be ok.

over here at stoners place we welcome the changes coming. it will turn things into private members only clubs. and with our dank the memberships will fly out the door. with doctors approval of course.

ps we are fully licensed and legal to operate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Is that any different to workers having a few pints at lunch. If you are not happy to do business with either then take your business elsewhere, as I would. Being unprofessional is never acceptable.

I think the high they get is a bit different with alcohol (will need to get back to you on that one ????????‍♂️).

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

over here at stoners place we welcome the changes coming. it will turn things into private members only clubs. and with our dank the memberships will fly out the door. with doctors approval of course.

ps we are fully licensed and legal to operate. 

Hey stoner, i generally support nearly all of your posts, but this time i am in disagreement. all it will take is a police roadblock and a piss test and the party is over. as for doctors' prescriptions... i don't think it will be so easy to get considering how ultra conservative doctors are here in thailand and they already made their positions clear about weed. i actually talked to my optometrist about this for my many eye conditions and she almost laughed me out of her office. actually she was quite angry at the mention of this. i do hope they don't get stupid about weed as i believe no one should be locked up for growing it, possessing it nor consuming it. unfortunately, i think we are in for dark times ahead

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Hey stoner, i generally support nearly all of your posts, but this time i am in disagreement. all it will take is a police roadblock and a piss test and the party is over. as for doctors' prescriptions... i don't think it will be so easy to get considering how ultra conservative doctors are here in thailand and they already made their positions clear about weed. i actually talked to my optometrist about this for my many eye conditions and she almost laughed me out of her office. actually she was quite angry at the mention of this. i do hope they don't get stupid about weed as i believe no one should be locked up for growing it, possessing it nor consuming it. unfortunately, i think we are in for dark times ahead

i have been working with a prominent doctor from a big hospital in bkk for a few years now. he is going to be our dedicated md. he wants to open wellness clinics centered around medical cannabis.

about 6 or so months ago i was told to start down that path as the rules would eventually change. my close tie to a rather large cannabis company here allowed me privy to the info. 

as for cops pulling people over piss test etc. can't disagree with you on that but i don't see that becoming a major issue. 

there will be changes but i doubt as much is being feared. i will repost this for any who haven't seen it yet. doesn't sound all bad to me......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i don't think it will be so easy to get considering how ultra conservative doctors are here in thailand and they already made their positions clear about weed.

I thought their position was mainly about getting their share of the prescription charges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stoner said:

there will be changes but i doubt as much is being feared. i will repost this for any who haven't seen it yet. doesn't sound all bad to me......

just watched the video... more questions than answers. if it is allowed by prescription only i fail to see the customer base being enough to support all the 'legal' shops. also, if someone gets a medical certificate for whatever reason this then, in the eyes of insurance companies, becomes a pre-existing condition. i dunno, but i think the only way to go is, as in canada for example, for recreational use. guess i am dreaming on and thing is i can't smoke anymore due to my lung condition...

Edited by Pouatchee

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

just watched the video... more questions than answers. if it is allowed by prescription only i fail to see the customer base being enough to support all the 'legal' shops. also, if someone gets a medical certificate for whatever reason this then, in the eyes of insurance companies, becomes a pre-existing condition. i dunno, but i think the only way to go is, as in canada for example, for recreational use. guess i am dreaming on and thing is i can't smoke anymore due to my lung condition...

those with inferior quality will fade away as they won't be able to hold onto a customer base. 

you should try edibles or tincture. :)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

you should try edibles or tincture. ????

i was a smoker... cigarettes, cigars, weed, hash ... i love smoking so it is difficult to get high with edibles as 85% of the reason i smoke is eliminated by not smoking. getting high is fun, but smoking is what it was about for me.

i still think we are heading for the dark ages and i am sad for you guys. gawd i miss it!

• Like 1

if it is regulated and sold through licenced agents it is fine, it is all those trying to make a quick buck out of selling it illegally that cause the problems. I gave it away many years ago although I did use "cookies" to help me get off opoids after 20 years of taking them for pain, I would often help friends trim up their plants as I quite liked the smell of their variety, very fruity and used the trim to make the cookies. Adults are fine and as long as they dont drive after using(same as alcohol) & should be left alone, kids are a different matter as they are the ones the illegal growers aim for. Make it legal and regulate who can sell/buy it, currently there are a lot of stoners everywhere as no one is following the regulations and there are way too may growers trying to make fast money from it

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

I would bet many will go broke

with weed . Too many shops opening up all over at once. Looks like everyone wants to get rich. Never ever works that way.

What always happens is people get loans for new fancy shops or put all their money into grow operations and the rules and regulations suddenly change. They can’t recoup their investment and it goes bust. Sound familiar?

But if you never try, you will never know if you were one of the wildly successful ones that got in early enough, and were wise enough to sell up in time.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Hey guys, read the MFP manifesto.

They want to regulate cannabis. Not stop it.

Get a license and follow the rules. You will be ok.

regulate cannabis to the death....yes some doctor can prescribe it, but that is not what the people want. They want freedom

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, h90 said:

Why? If you don't like it, don't use it, but let other people do what they want.

What people want, as indicated by their support for the Thai political parties who all agree, is to shut it down.

• Confused 2