Isaan hard to like after 3 months

bignok

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

it's psychological marketing 101. 

you're totally cut off from the outside world with nothing but shops. 

places are built like mazes. 

We go to food courts to eat, maybe book store and pharmacy. Then leave. Never enter 90% of shops. Nobody forces you to buy anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, bignok said:

1 mall doesnt turn Isaan into the western world. They have malls in China. Thai malls have good food courts selling local food. Nothing like the west.

Western malls have food courts too. They're no different from Thai malls and even sell many of the same brands. 

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well if your point is that now farangs are the NIMBY * folks in Isaan, that might make sense.

* Not in my back yard

That wasn't my point. My point was that Thailand shouldn't copy the west, because the western way isn't the best way.

44 minutes ago, atpeace said:

It seems like the Thais want it more than Farangs.  I prefer simple Isaan but do like western conveniences at times.  It seems to me you want the Thais to be more like you but they obviously enjoy malls, air condition, big cars...  Might be wrong but think you are being closed minded and not seeing Thailand for what it is today.  Thais aren't going to live the way you want them to live.

People all around the world are being moulded into identical consumers of what big business says they should consume. It's a phenomenon that was birthed in the west and has ultimately made people lonelier and dissatisfied. I don't understand why you seem to think that Thailand becoming like the western world is a good thing. Do you like everything to be the same as back home?

7 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

That wasn't my point. My point was that Thailand shouldn't copy the west, because the western way isn't the best way.

A Central Nong Khai would not be copying the West. It would be copying Central Khon Kaen and Central UdonThani

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

People all around the world are being moulded into identical consumers of what big business says they should consume. It's a phenomenon that was birthed in the west and has ultimately made people lonelier and dissatisfied. I don't understand why you seem to think that Thailand becoming like the western world is a good thing. Do you like everything to be the same as back home?

Thai coffee shops, food courts are not like the west. The supermarkets are also different. Lots of food you don't see in the west.

Thais own phones and cars like the west. Are you suggesting they ditch those and go back to riding elephants?

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

We go to food courts to eat, maybe book store and pharmacy. Then leave. Never enter 90% of shops. Nobody forces you to buy anything.

Yep, nobody forces you to buy anything and you have to be more than a bit daft to feel cut off from the world and in a maze, exits are easy to find and use.

I go once every month or so and make a purchase at one or two shops but sometimes just a 15 minute walk thru.

21 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Thankfully CP Group doesn't copy western malls, and been building them better since the 1990s.  And simply do it better ... IMHO

With one exception (having a blues bar in it, the only good thing), yet to be in a western mall better than CP Group's versions of malls.  

On topic ... I don't think NK can support a Central Plaza ... not yet.

They don't even have a Robinson dept store there...nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

I never said Thais becoming more like the west is a good thing.  You want to be righteous but at the expense of Thais choosing what they want.  I live a simple life but don't feel I have the right nor obligation to impose it on Thais.  

Difference between You and I is I want people to have a choice to live their life how they want to and you want to tell Thais what is best.  Thais enjoy modern amenities and you telling them how unhappy they will be is probably more of a reflection of how unhappy you are at the moment.  Might be completely wrong about you  but the vibe I'm receiving is that you are unhappy and unaware of this because of your righteous attitude.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Thai shopping malls are big shiny buildings, with lots of shops, franchise food outlets and a food court. Just like shopping malls in the west. Why does a charming town like Nong Khai need one? 

Ask the Thais, they seem to frequent them often.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Thankfully CP Group doesn't copy western malls, and been building them better since the 1990s.  And simply do it better ... IMHO

With one exception (having a blues bar in it, the only good thing), yet to be in a western mall better than CP Group's versions of malls.  

On topic ... I don't think NK can support a Central Plaza ... not yet.

They don't even have a Robinson dept store there...nuff said

Build it and they will come. It was in a movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

I never said Thais becoming more like the west is a good thing.  You want to be righteous but at the expense of Thais choosing what they want.  I live a simple life but don't feel I have the right nor obligation to impose it on Thais.  

Difference between You and I is I want people to have a choice to live their life how they want to and you want to tell Thais what is best.  Thais enjoy modern amenities and you telling them how unhappy they will be is probably more of a reflection of how unhappy you are at the moment.  Might be completely wrong about you  but the vibe I'm receiving is that you are unhappy and unaware of this because of your righteous attitude.

You're just homesick or suffering from culture shock. When I first got to Thailand, there were no malls in the Isaan at all, but the people were friendly and for the most part happy. There were strong local communities, with family run shops selling all kinds of different things. 

Now everything is becoming the same and Isaan uniqueness is being erased - boring malls full of tacky and expensive franchise outlets - because that's what business wants. And you think that's a good thing?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

You're just homesick or suffering from culture shock. When I first got to Thailand, there were no malls in the Isaan at all, but the people were friendly and for the most part happy. There were strong local communities, with family run shops selling all kinds of different things. 

Now everything is becoming the same and Isaan uniqueness is being erased - boring malls full of tacky and expensive franchise outlets - because that's what business wants. And you think that's a good thing?

Yes and no ????

we just got a 7/11, and just as that one openend we got a CJ to. Still one and a half hour to closest Robinson or any shopping mall. a 7/11 didnt change much for me really, but for the kids it seems to do

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Yes and no ????

we just got a 7/11, and just as that one openend we got a CJ to. Still one and a half hour to closest Robinson or any shopping mall. a 7/11 didnt change much for me really, but for the kids it seems to do

CJ? 7/11s are a great option for food.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

We go to live in Thailand and leave the west behind. That kind of answers your question. 

So Thais living abroad speak English, eat fish and chips and never eat rice again? Of course not. They speak Thai 95% of the time, eat Thai food and mostly mix with Thais.

Udon Central is 97% Thai customers. KK Central is 99.5% Thai.

The farangs did not bring malls to Thailand. The Thais wanted them.

Edited by bignok
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Really? I have a wife who do excellent cooking home out of fresh homegrown vegetables and fresh meat from marked. She do Europeen and thai food as well a great mix of her own recipes, no fast food can ever compete with her food.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Really? I have a wife who do excellent cooking home out of fresh homegrown vegetables and fresh meat from marked. She do Europeen and thai food as well a great mix of her own recipes, no fast food can ever compete with her food.

Fast food is fast. Slow food is slow.

34 minutes ago, bignok said:

I could happily live the rest of my life on food from 7/11. Never known a bad cheese and ham tostie. Carbonara if I'm feeling more sophisticated. Their cakes and biscuits are fabulous. Hot and cold coffee delicious.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1