Uproar over shameful exploitation by taxi drivers at Muang Thong Thani convention centre

webfact

Get the  ‘White accommodation scheme for foreigners’ mob from Phuket to come up to Bangkok and kick the ass of these rogue overcharging taxi driver thieves. 

Put them to better use chasing Thai Bangkok taxi drivers breaking the law, then wasting time in Phuket chasing white folks. 

Op's sorry, they are too busy with the taxi mafia in Phuket, NOT!

• Like 1

To all the international exhibitors and non-Thai visitors alike - the message is clear. 

Welcome to Thailand! 

And, thank you to the Thai authorities to keep this Pandora box - over the last 40 years this subject keeps popping up; unlike other Asian capitals where exhibitors and visitors have the alternative of a public skytrain/subway or most frequent shuttle buses. But, in all fairness, why should Impact be different to the rest of the country? 

To address this issue promptly, one immediate solution is to adopt a market-driven Darwinistic approach known as Capitalism.

By allowing companies like Uber, Grab, Bolt, and other third-party providers to take over the subsidized monopoly, we can bring about significant reductions in taxi fares due to increased competition and supply.

This shift would eliminate the need for relying on non-verbal communication cues, as the pricing would be clearly stated upfront, enabling customers to make informed decisions without any hassle.

Under this system, efficient and reliable taxi companies will be incentivized and rewarded, while underperforming ones will naturally be phased out over time.

Edited by racket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goat said:
5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Only Thailand could build a 10,000 seat arena with no way to get to it except by road and taxi.

Geez Barry. 

You seem to habitually make up stories about "only Thailand" when plenty of other countries have the same issues.

Please fact check on google before making things up.

You conveniently, for your response, forgot to also quote me about American sports arenas.

Meanwhile this Thaifex international trade fair expo events was outstanding, in terms of quality of its fabulous exhibitors and their teams!
And that is the principal to remember, as the rest doesn't directly depend on Anuga organisation it should be adequately fixed in a reasonable time before the next events...???? 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

This is my shocked face...

Taxi drivers overcharging in Bangkok?

Amazing. Just amazing.

First time I've ever heard of that happening...

Just remember you heard it here first........

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why do they do it? A. because they can, with no policing and "crackdown" we hear about every day but not where it's needed. B. it is within the nature of Thai service providers to overcharge and price gauging whether be it selling fruits, drinks or taxi fares, been like this foe decades and worse now with the proliferations of supposedly "rich" foreigners into Thailand.

"....the proliferations of supposedly "rich" foreigners into Thailand."

Yes, I agree -  it's been like this for decades.

On one of my first visits here (about 20 years ago - when I got 73 baht for my British pound) I asked a bar girl why they (bar girls) all thought that all foreigners were rich. She replied "Well, you could afford to get a flight here on an aeroplane, so you must be rich!" ???? 

Regarding the taxis, years ago on my tourist island, the "meter taxi" drivers were told that unless they used their meters they "could" lose their licences. Decades on, they are still not using their meters. "Meter not work!" Well, if "Meter not work!" you shouldn't be working either, but I have yet to hear of ONE meter taxi driver that has lost his licence due to not using his meter. It's all just words by the people "in charge"!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

And what repercussions will there be for these rip off merchants - absolutely none, apart from a few disgruntled customers complaining on the Internet.

Do the police do anything about it? Do they even care? Maybe they even turn a blind eye to it because "there's nowt in it for 'em!" (Unless, of course they have already received their "gratuities"!)

• Like 2

I don't see anything wrong with Taxis overcharging. It is an economy based on supply and demand, otherwise known as Capitalism. A nice place where most of you come from, but suddenly disapprove of the practice.

I write this as most taxis would not even bother stopping at this place as it is always traffic around that area and during conventions it is absolute hell. Who's crazy enough to wait hours for a 100-200b ride? It makes no sense. There should be some kind of premium charge for this nonsense. We are talking about suits here who aren't exactly poor. They could do like the airport, register and charge extra.

Edited by Celsius
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

All sounds normal to me what's all the fuss about ????

Exactly. Business as usual, I would say, so why the uproar? Wel all know that most taxi drivers will screw over anyone at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Use BOLT taxi service, app is super easy to use, a little cheaper than GRAB.

Bolt has options of car with full taxi branding, motorcycle or 'econo' car, meaning basic car in good condition and very clean, no taxi branding. I use 'Econo' car, about 10 to 15 Baht cheaper than branded taxi. 

One item: BOLT curently only accept cash, soon to be changed to have QR code etc. Drivers always have change.

Can add extra details of location of pick up in English, their app automatically/immediately changes your message to Thai for the driver. 

App shows where the car is all the time. 

BOLT driver's courteous and focused.

not Thailand, but when I was in another Asian country,

the setup is similar, private drivers using their own cars, metered taxis refusing to turn meter on, refusing to take unless you paid a stupid figure

say a $5 trip using the meter on a genuine company/app, (the company took 25%, driver gets 75%) i found that figure out by asking the drivers, the dodgy ones would only do it for $15, so it means its still worth the genuine driver to take the fare for $3.75 in his pocket.  As my gesture of appreciation of taking me without being dodgy, I would often give them $3 or so extra on top as cash

thats my way of showing a little appreciation

It’s not the taxi drivers you should blame but the company owners employing them !  They pay really low wages , and surely it’s up to them to install working meters which should be read morning and night every day . And to answer whoever above, ( Richard-Smith?) Ive never had a problem in Bangkok, which I visit for a week often at Christmas and New Year , early December and March. When I go from my hotel they always call one for me and never a problem there either ( Erawan). On the other hand, Pattaya and Phuket nightmare!! 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

It’s not the taxi drivers you should blame but the company owners employing them !  They pay really low wages

I thought that a large percentage of the Taxi Cab Drivers were self employed who just rent the cab from the holding company, same as Tuk Tuk and Samlor drivers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I thought that a large percentage of the Taxi Cab Drivers were self employed who just rent the cab from the holding company, same as Tuk Tuk and Samlor drivers!

They are described as Taxi Cooperatives.

A very large % of the cars are directly owned by 4 or 5 companies who rent these cars cars out by the day.

Actual owners totally not interested in what happens between the driver and the end customer. 

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Bolt has options of car with full taxi branding, motorcycle or 'econo' car, meaning basic car in good condition and very clean, no taxi branding. I use 'Econo' car, about 10 to 15 Baht cheaper than branded taxi. 

One item: BOLT curently only accept cash, soon to be changed to have QR code etc. Drivers always have change.

Can add extra details of location of pick up in English, their app automatically/immediately changes your message to Thai for the driver. 

100% I second that and for 3 reasons

1/ I save money

2/ I save frustration trying to deal with scam taxi drivers

3/ Using Bolt or Grab denies a scumbag taxi scammer an opportunity

15 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

Anyone who is willing to do that could not care less,

They are looking out for themselves and themselves only

Its just purely greed and selfishness

It has degenerated into a grab all, sod all melle, brought about by governing role models.

Plus they are trying to catch up after being wiped out during covid.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

who tried to hail a taxi to take him from a car park at Muang Thong Thani to the site of the trade fair, a distance of about one kilometre, was asked to pay a 300 baht and the driver refused to use the meter,

He should have walked, it would have been much faster. That's why he asked 300 baht.. A colleague of mine took 2 hours to drive less than a few hundred meters in that area during this event. Fortunaely I chose to leave that area in the opposite direction. The place was gridlocked and a result of poor traffic management coupled with way too many cars. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

They are described as Taxi Cooperatives.

A very large % of the cars are directly owned by 4 or 5 companies who rent these cars cars out by the day.

Actual owners totally not interested in what happens between the driver and the end customer. 

Ok, sorry, didn’t know that there were no rules at all. Doesn’t change the fact that for a 15 min drive in Phuket or Pattaya will cost you 500 Baht . They have great new cars and SUVs because they can afford them. At least triple  the price of Bangkok. 

16 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

Anyone who is willing to do that could not care less,

They are looking out for themselves and themselves only

Its just purely greed and selfishness

Boy. That sounds like every shop owner/ business/ Corporation in California

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agreed. I have used them several times. Excellent service.  Bolt is also present in Paris: cheaper than Uber.