Thaksin Prepares for Return to Thailand

snoop1130

5 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The plan is to receive a proper trial now that his enemies have been finally and soundly beaten. No need for anything devious, just due process in the courts.

Yes...the present judicial system that was created and is still controlled by the scallawaggery of the Junta Gang.

Due process requires an objective and truly lawful court system. 

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I don't have any skin in the game here....I live in Issan and can see the great progress made here when Thaksin was in power eg provision of electricity where there was none, extensive building of hospitals and schools, introductions of pension and health care....radical ideas for a third world country like Thailand, aiming to become a developed nation. I don't think it any coincidence that all progress stopped when Thaksin was the subject of an illegal coup, and it has never recovered...Thailand has gone from an Asian tiger to an Asian donkey.

As to whether he should go to jail? Personally I don't think the trail that condemned him was fair. It was clearly rigged and the sentence given was illegitimate. All people are supposed to be treated equally under the law....Thaksin was clearly not, and neither was Yingluck, and she was a complete travesty of justice.

But the philosophical questions you raise would be very interesting to debate, albeit imponderable. I'd settle for an unbiased legal system that treated defendants equally....and Thaksin was clearly victimised, as Trump is being victimised in the US now where it has been exposed unequivocally that the FBI tried to create an environment where Democrats would win the presidential races and neglected to prosecute Hunter Biden or Hillary Clinton, even going as far to seed cover ups stories for their evil doing. These things happen....I don't care whether Thaksin comes back or stays away. I have to say that I don't think his return is in the best interests of the country....but a destabilising influence and a fall in the value go the Thai baht, would be in my interests as I earn in USDs.

I have never met any nice billionaires, you don't get to be a billionaire by being a good human being, you get that sort of money by breaking laws. I worked at a high level in a very large US corporation and met a lot of very rich CEOs, most not very talented, and by and large, all as$holes. I'm guessing Thaksin fits this mould.

Rather than the man or lady going to jail if they return, I would like to see them appeal, get bail like every other person (even police officers sentenced to death got bail), and then have a totally FAIR, unbiased, non-political and transparent trial. 

Quote:  "As to whether he should go to jail? Personally I don't think the trail that condemned him was fair. It was clearly rigged and the sentence given was illegitimate. All people are supposed to be treated equally under the law....Thaksin was clearly not, and neither was Yingluck, and she was a complete travesty of justice."

I don't buy your statements, There's conclusive evidence he broke serious laws. ALos meaning it wasn't rigged and wasn't illegitimate. All ben discussed and aid out in complete detail before.

Yingluck was clearly complicite in rice trading scams which were clearly proved and she now lives day by day with the fact theat several senior gov't oficials plyed serious/speciifc/personal roles in these scgeems and still doing long jail sentences. There was no 'travesty of justice', she broke serious laws which was well proven. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I don't have any skin in the game here....I live in Issan and can see the great progress made here when Thaksin was in power eg provision of electricity where there was none, extensive building of hospitals and schools, introductions of pension and health care....radical ideas for a third world country like Thailand, aiming to become a developed nation. I don't think it any coincidence that all progress stopped when Thaksin was the subject of an illegal coup, and it has never recovered...Thailand has gone from an Asian tiger to an Asian donkey.

As to whether he should go to jail? Personally I don't think the trail that condemned him was fair. It was clearly rigged and the sentence given was illegitimate. All people are supposed to be treated equally under the law....Thaksin was clearly not, and neither was Yingluck, and she was a complete travesty of justice.

But the philosophical questions you raise would be very interesting to debate, albeit imponderable. I'd settle for an unbiased legal system that treated defendants equally....and Thaksin was clearly victimised, as Trump is being victimised in the US now where it has been exposed unequivocally that the FBI tried to create an environment where Democrats would win the presidential races and neglected to prosecute Hunter Biden or Hillary Clinton, even going as far to seed cover ups stories for their evil doing. These things happen....I don't care whether Thaksin comes back or stays away. I have to say that I don't think his return is in the best interests of the country....but a destabilising influence and a fall in the value go the Thai baht, would be in my interests as I earn in USDs.

I have never met any nice billionaires, you don't get to be a billionaire by being a good human being, you get that sort of money by breaking laws. I worked at a high level in a very large US corporation and met a lot of very rich CEOs, most not very talented, and by and large, all as$holes. I'm guessing Thaksin fits this mould.

Rather than the man or lady going to jail if they return, I would like to see them appeal, get bail like every other person (even police officers sentenced to death got bail), and then have a totally FAIR, unbiased, non-political and transparent trial. 

You started well until you claimed false equivalences between Thaksin and Trump.

Edited by candide

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

His return (if it ever happens ) could be more trouble than an elected Government never being sworn in.

I wonder why he is stating he will return. He must know:

- His return means he should be arrested on sight, and any attempts by his party to stop him being detained will turn very ugly and break every item of judicial ethics and morals. Could turn into very ugly protests and do great damage to his party.

- The military could quickly/easily override the police in their duties in such circumstances.

- Why right now? He knows the current situation is very complex and tense and his return won't help.

- Or does he perhaps believe his return, right now, will help get his daughter into the PM seat?

- Does he have a strategy plan yet not evealed that he believes will shoot him into the PM seat.

- I wonder if he has considered what actions/dictates/orders might come from a higher authority if he steps foot on Thai soil?

• Love It 2

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- His return means he should be arrested on sight, and any attempts by his party to stop him being detained will turn very ugly and break every item of judicial ethics and morals. Could turn into very ugly protests and do great damage to his party.

- The military could quickly/easily override the police in their duties in such circumstances.

- Why right now? He knows the current situation is very complex and tense and his return won't help.

- Or does he perhaps believe his return, right now, will help get his daughter into the PM seat?

- Does he have a strategy plan yet not evealed that he believes will shoot him into the PM seat.

- I wonder if he has considered what actions/dictates/orders might come from a higher authority if he steps foot on Thai soil?

It could be you could become very surprised.........

Thaksin knows probably more than us .....and especially  you .... because his smartness the Bangkok elite started to fear him ,whit the resulting coup(s) as happened...

When Thaksin would set foot on Thai soil ... Prayut has on serious headache more .......????

2 hours ago, david555 said:

It could be you could become very surprised.........

Thaksin knows probably more than us .....and especially  you .... because his smartness the Bangkok elite started to fear him ,whit the resulting coup(s) as happened...

When Thaksin would set foot on Thai soil ... Prayut has on serious headache more .......????

Well that was a total waste of cyber space.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

For many of the charges there was / is clear specific undistputed evidence that serious laws were broken and he was guilty, and got serious punishment and the trial was fair, and nothing to do with politics in any way . Further, there is no need nor reason for a new trial, he fact he was once a PM doesn't specifically mean he has any entitlement to a new trial. 

What clear and specific evidence? Post a link to it. The trials were nothing but unfair and 100% politicised. Why do you bother posting untruths?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Quote:  "As to whether he should go to jail? Personally I don't think the trail that condemned him was fair. It was clearly rigged and the sentence given was illegitimate. All people are supposed to be treated equally under the law....Thaksin was clearly not, and neither was Yingluck, and she was a complete travesty of justice."

I don't buy your statements, There's conclusive evidence he broke serious laws. ALos meaning it wasn't rigged and wasn't illegitimate. All ben discussed and aid out in complete detail before.

Yingluck was clearly complicite in rice trading scams which were clearly proved and she now lives day by day with the fact theat several senior gov't oficials plyed serious/speciifc/personal roles in these scgeems and still doing long jail sentences. There was no 'travesty of justice', she broke serious laws which was well proven. 

Nonsense!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'll take all of the above for 500, Alex.....

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Yeah…????????????

From your link:

The post-coup junta set up the Assets Examination Committee to investigate suspicions of ill-gotten wealth of Thaksin

I repeat, what legitimate ones?

Thaksin was found guilty by The Supreme Court not by the A.E.C.

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

A Supreme Court that was set up/created by The Junta Gang.

Legitimate.....????

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, bannork said:

The AEC forwarded the charges.

Do you think the Supreme Court is unbiased, impartial and non politicised?

https://researchprofiles.anu.edu.au/en/publications/thailand-judicialization-of-politics-or-politicization-of-the-jud-2

https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/thailand-judiciary-politicized

Etc., etc., etc…

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The AEC forwarded the charges.

Do you think the Supreme Court is unbiased, impartial and non politicised?

https://researchprofiles.anu.edu.au/en/publications/thailand-judicialization-of-politics-or-politicization-of-the-jud-2

https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/thailand-judiciary-politicized

Etc., etc., etc…

Neither of those articles you quote mention anything about Thaksin's convictions by The Supreme Court 

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

Neither of those articles you quote mention anything about Thaksin's convictions by The Supreme Court 

And your impression of the Thai courts after reading those articles is?

Accepting a substandard judiciary because it persecuted people you disagree with is the height of foolishness.

IMG_2374.jpeg.16340b764991455a96e652409328a6f8.jpeg

Better to live by the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Wouldn’t you agree?

A summary of the charges against Thaksin, convictions and acquittals.

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions pronounced him guilty of power abuse in his wife’s purchase of a state-owned plot in the coveted Ratchadaphisek area at a price much cheaper than market value.

In October 2008, Thaksin was sentenced in absentia to two years in prison. The 10-year statute of limitations for that court verdict expired in October 2018.

The court later gave Thaksin another two years in prison after finding him guilty of malfeasance in the two-and three-digit lottery case.

He was handed a further three years’ imprisonment for abusing his position to authorize loans totaling 4 billion baht to Myanmar via the Export-Import Bank of Thailand.

The loans were then spent on buying supplies from a telecom firm owned by Thaksin’s family.

Thaksin was sentenced to five more years in prison in another case in which he was found guilty of using nominees to hold shares in Shin Corp. The law prohibits any political office holder from holding shares in a telecom company.

Acquitted in two cases

The court acquitted Thaksin in two of the cases brought against him. In 2019, it dismissed charges of dereliction of duty and malfeasance in the Finance Ministry’s administration of a rehabilitation plan by the private firm Thai Petrochemical Industry (TPI).

In the same year, Thaksin was also acquitted of masterminding loans of 9 billion baht granted by the state-owned Krungthai Bank to subsidiaries of property firm Krisda Mahanakorn. The court found no convincing evidence to prove accusations that Thaksin was the “big boss” who ordered bank executives to approve the loans.

The money was meant for refinancing and land acquisition for real estate development, but it was instead used for share trading on the stock market and was laundered to conceal its source, according to public prosecutors.

In 2015, Krungthai’s former executive board chairman Suchai Jaovisidha and former bank president Viroj Nuankae were among more than a dozen defendants sentenced to prison terms in connection with the loan scandal.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

And your impression of the Thai courts after reading those articles is?

Accepting a substandard judiciary because it persecuted people you disagree with is the height of foolishness.

IMG_2374.jpeg.16340b764991455a96e652409328a6f8.jpeg

Better to live by the golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Wouldn’t you agree?

Jim, your attempt to liken the Thai courts to Nazi Germany is absurd. The findings of the Court's verdicts, the reasonings behind the verdicts were all published at the time.

The only way Thaksin can escape these convictions is a pardon from above, using the new regulation that says convicted offenders don't have to be detained in jail, or faking illness like Kamnan Poh did and live it up in a hospital. 

I think Thaksin would only accept the first option. 

We will just have to see how it plays out. 

Whilst Thaksin is waiting for the sun, he may be waiting for you to tell (him) what went wrong. 

• Thanks 1