The top 10 countries Brits want to spend their retirement in, according to new study

webfact

5 minutes ago, proton said:

I thought Brits could only spend a total of 90 days a year in EU countries now, so how can they retire there?

Was going to ask a similar question about Aus/NZ/India/Canada how can your average Brit (assuming no family ties) retire to any of these ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, proton said:

I thought Brits could only spend a total of 90 days a year in EU countries now, so how can they retire there?

Was the same in Thailand until a few years back---just do a U turn boarder crossing, plenty to chose from near Spain.

Maybe Spain will open an office to just report in every 90 days like Thailand did ---oh no I forgot about all the posts....thats a really big hassle in peoples lives to have to do that here.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

With a retirement visa. That simple.

https://www.lexidy.com/blog/portugals-retirement-visa-program/

And can you believe that the financial requirement is 760 Euro/month!!!

That's less than 30000 Baht!

Compare this to the ridiculous requirements here (minimum income corresponds to top government/military ranks).

Thats not Spain though and as for NZ dream on

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, proton said:

Thats not Spain though and as for NZ dream on

You referred to EU not specifically to Spain.

Portugal is popular as a retirement location for a reason.

A long term visa for Spain is available but has much higher financial requirements.

Seems even higher than here.

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why should Scotland take them?

I wonder why anyone would want to go there anyway as the SNP have turned it into a communist freeloading drug riddled and illiterate country now!

That’s easy… Tattie Scones & Lorn sausage

I’m English but was lucky enough to work in Glasgow for 3 years, staying in the old Copthorne St George’s square & many a great night out on Sauchiehall Street  

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

4th!  These people, like me, haven't done their homework.  This perfect place to retire freezes your State pension (mine hasn't moved in 15YEARS!)  Chiang Mai is the Lung Cancer Capital of the World.  Koh Samui's strong sense of community means their taxi mafia now rivals Phuket/Pattaya.

The fact that your state pension is frozen is hardly Thailand’s fault & whilst I’d admit I didn’t know this until I read it on this forum nor would I have actively sort this information out, the fact is it there are many other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Canada & India being 4 other counties on the list) where it would also be frozen. 

If you don’t like the air in Chiang Mai… Move, Don’t like the Taxi Mafia in Koh Samui (never had a problem there myself)… Move…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

Friend bought in Spain now can only spend 90 days at most there, if there was a visa I think they would have found one in the last 3 years

Probably because they do not qualify and if they were there when brexit happened they obviously didn't bother to do the paperwork.  If you have the money/income visa's are not a problem in most countries. I have a good friend who has a great retierment in the med (yes eu).

• Like 1

I see Portugal at #3

I remember reading that legislation has passed tat eliminates the golden visa program some time this year. 

If that's true they better hurry. 

Edited by sirineou