The top 10 countries Brits want to spend their retirement in, according to new study

webfact

18 hours ago, chalawaan said:

If only there was an easy way for Brits to move, work, and retire to the EU, and even get FREE healthcare and automatic driving rights, and not have to get visas, and wait in queues like foriegners at every airport outside the UK.

If only there was such a system in place... 

But I'm dreaming, that would make too much sense, and besides, the channel would be flooded with illegals in boats! ????

But, but, but they voted the easy way out hahahahahaha

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, geisha said:

Never heard of this 2 million Euro  investment. I have a niece just bought there and has residency and I know for certain she had no 2 million to invest ! 

This is information I got researching the issue on the internet, I never pursued the issue independently  because I don't have any interest in retiring there. 

"The minimum investment amount is €500,000. With this amount, you can buy residential or commercial property in Spain. You need to invest at least €1,000,000 in purchasing shares of Spanish companies or investment fund units. To get a Golden Visa for buying government bonds, you must invest twice as much — €2,000,000. "

https://immigrantinvest.com/residence-in-spain-en/#:~:text=The minimum investment amount is,twice as much — €2%2C000%2C000.

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The fact that your state pension is frozen is hardly Thailand’s fault & whilst I’d admit I didn’t know this until I read it on this forum nor would I have actively sort this information out, the fact is it there are many other countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Canada & India being 4 other counties on the list) where it would also be frozen. 

If you don’t like the air in Chiang Mai… Move, Don’t like the Taxi Mafia in Koh Samui (never had a problem there myself)… Move…

I don't live in Chiang Mai and will never visit it as I value my health too much.  I had a holiday in Samui in January where a simple short journey to the airport of under 3 kilometres cost 300 baht.  I will not return; ditto Phuket.  My post was a simple warning to avoid these pitfalls and to express disbelief that Thailand is at no 4.  I live in Pattaya which has no police force to enforce the use of meters in Taximeters.  Your simplistic solution of moving ignores the ties I have made over 18 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, proton said:

I thought Brits could only spend a total of 90 days a year in EU countries now, so how can they retire there?

There is a visa that allows you to retire. My friend has just done it in Italy 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, proton said:

I thought Brits could only spend a total of 90 days a year in EU countries now, so how can they retire there?

There is a visa that allows you to retire. My friend has just done it in Italy 

20 hours ago, bignok said:

Best option is a nomadic life. No one country.

yeah, there are pros to doing that. no requirements to meet. 

but a lot of people are not that fit in their later years to be constantly moving around.

and more expensive than staying in one place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I am the 2nd happiest person I know.......

Sounds great Milke.... although from the tone of most of your posts, it comes across as you being pessimistic in relation to Thailand.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I don't live in Chiang Mai and will never visit it as I value my health too much.  I had a holiday in Samui in January where a simple short journey to the airport of under 3 kilometres cost 300 baht.  I will not return; ditto Phuket.  My post was a simple warning to avoid these pitfalls and to express disbelief that Thailand is at no 4.  I live in Pattaya which has no police force to enforce the use of meters in Taximeters.  Your simplistic solution of moving ignores the ties I have made over 18 years.

That’s a shame as we visited Chiang Mai (& Chiang Rai / Pai) in Feb and the air quality was fine, much better than we had in Pattaya a couple of months back when the AQI was > 150 even at the beach in Wongamat.

But the point is you don’t spend 18 years somewhere & suddenly decide the air quality is too bad or taxis are too expensive, you find this out early on & move if you don’t like it. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The taxis in Samui are for tourists, not for the people living there. I don't remember ever using a taxi in the last 4-5 years. Samui is a great place to live, a bit more expensive as it is an island, but still very affordable by the western standards.... except healthcare. But healthcare would be an issue not only in Samui.

23 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Was going to ask a similar question about Aus/NZ/India/Canada how can your average Brit (assuming no family ties) retire to any of these ?

Australia is a no go for Brits on state pensions, the monthly state pension would probably only cover a fortnightly rent in Sydney. On top of that there are investment requirements.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, bogs smith said:

yeah. it also offers choking smog for half the year.

if thats your thing then go for it.

i do not think you live in CM do you? this year was the most terrible ever it lasted 2 months this is about double of normal

BKK has polution all year round it be of a different kind and on a global scale its even not worth mentioning

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Was going to ask a similar question about Aus/NZ/India/Canada how can your average Brit (assuming no family ties) retire to any of these ?

The op only says "want to", not "can" or "do"!

• Like 1

Australia, New Zealand, Canada and France are on the list? Why? Expensive, over rated, bad taxation policy, over bearing law enforcement, and a dozen other good reasons to avoid these 4 places for retirement. No thanks. Thailand works for me!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, Mike Teavee said:

I agree, the free boat rides ended in the 1800's 

• Like 1

'British females are some of the most beautiful and tolerant in the world.' (bkk6060)

Thai girls much more beautiful in my estimation (otherwise I wouldn't still be here)

I had a blind date with a lady in England - the only thing she asked me prior to this on the phone was "Do you have big ears?". I said No - true, they're not wing flaps. But I failed the test when she saw me. We had a good dinner date but she gave the ears as the reason for not seeing me again.

When I came to Thailand 14 years ago, the girls in my local bar said: "We love your ears! You look like Buddha!" (LOL)

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 9:52 AM, mikebell said:

4th!  These people, like me, haven't done their homework.  This perfect place to retire freezes your State pension (mine hasn't moved in 15YEARS!)  Chiang Mai is the Lung Cancer Capital of the World.  Koh Samui's strong sense of community means their taxi mafia now rivals Phuket/Pattaya.

You seem to get your wisdom from tabloid headlines. shameful:coffee1:

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I can't go into it here in detail. We did look into it. It's not straight forward. They restrict what properties you can buy.. And you can't get residency for years...plus other requirements.  

If you are interested you can look it up too.  We don't want to be doing visas, paperwork, going to immigration, buying a property of a certain age or state or repair, and restricted to certain areas of the country.

Not true. There are no restrictions for foreigners buying private property in Portugal. You can buy where and whatever you want.

BTW: Each country has visa and residency regulations, so does Portugal. It's changing, but yet it's one of the most easy places to retire for non-EU nationals.

On 6/10/2023 at 8:58 AM, bogs smith said:

yeah. it also offers choking smog for half the year.

if thats your thing then go for it.

Happens all around the globe. Some months good some bad…hey Ho keep smiling TB

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Hardly a POV from an experienced person.

CM is a great city but I admit, you have to choose which half of the year to go. Much better than Patts IMHO