Air con not cold in Toyota Vios?

proton

One thing after another with Vios, but it is 11 years old. Just warm air out of the vents, new air filters, put gas in it today, still not cold. Garage man said fill the coolent up but that looks half full still, shops shut today anyway. What else could it be?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have a 17 yo Vios, It's just a matter of getting the refrigerant recharged, and checking for leaks afterwards. You need a competent aircon mechanic.

I have a 20 year old Vios. Most reliable car I've ever owned and bodywork still good.

The aircon packed up a few weeks back. Turned out to be a leaking hose on the compressor. New hose and coolant fixed it but for good measure I had the coil removed and cleaned as they get very dirty and slow air flow.. If the aircon only work intermittently, a loose or bad relay is usually the problem. Easy to check. 

Plenty of youtube videos on Vios aircon repair.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

Here is my experience with my first Toyota here 2006 Yaris which is basically the same as your Vios.

You are correct that the dealers over charge for everything they in majority of cases replace not fix problem.

After 17 years I still take it to the dealership once a year for service oil,  because the Yaris has a computer system they plug in to detect problems.  Yes it is ignoring when waiting they come up and recommend changes like wipers, battery, tires when not necessary just last year told to do brakes just a few months ago I had them replaced at my independent shop I use.  Basically the Yaris no longer under warranty I use them detect problems then take it to my other shop. 

My truck still under warranty last year I replaced the battery shop forgot to mark the purchase date at service they saw that it wasn't said testing the battery only 60%, I just say thanks and I would take care of it,  their price 4000 replacement same battery more amps 2400.

Years ago I had the same problem with A/C,  I took it to an independent guy right outside the dealership tested said have you ever cleaned the system unit Answer was No,  he said no leaks but will recharge if it still blowing warm that is your problem. I ask him how is it done and how much then 1400 baht he pointed at a Vios, the entire dash was taken out to get to the unit to clean.  I looked at all the screes removed to the dash it was scary I though no way can anyone put it back together without something being wrong. I told him let me think about it Because in a week I was taking it to the dealership for oil service. At the service this time did notice said " A/C " very dirty need to be clean I said how and how much?  Good news to my ear he saw Toyota has a machine like a vacuum that flushes the unit without taking out the dash 1800 baht and recharged it was like a miracle drove off with unit on freezing. 

Five years down the row a number of problems with unit including motor slowing down although cold we were now turning the dial up to 3-4 for the fan.  Replacement for problem was 18,000,  I took a few days to research if I could locate a use unit since there are so many accidents vehicles are total but not all the parts I was unable in the end not wanting to do a piece meal replacing some unit although the vehicle was now ten years only had 80,000 KM,  I had Toyota replace the whole unit 24,000 baht. Problem with small cars and being here in Thailand A/C are on blasting, my truck 2.4  rarely do I need to move dial past 1.

Sorry that is long but I would get member recommendation for independent A/C shops I usually look for conservation approach if they quickly suggest cleaning without checking for leaks etc I usually politely leave.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Where do you live?  If in Pattaya I know a good mechanic PM me 

SAme here. I am in Chiang Mai. Just had compressor, dryer, hoses, radiator fan replaced. Flushed and recharged coolant. Also driver door lock fixed, 2002 Honda CR-V. Great mechanic, fare prices and speaks fluent English. 

11 year old car, already re-gassed, if the freon gas in the air-con coolant system is topped up, and NOT leaking, this might mean the air-con compressor is done.  

Edited by Tropposurfer

14 hours ago, proton said:

put gas in it today, still not cold. Garage man said fill the coolent up but that looks half full still,

Sounds like your "Garage man" hasn't a clue on what he is doing. why didn't he top up the coolant?  I'd take it to a real car A/C place if I was you. The coolant should not make any difference, cold air should come even before the engine would get too hot. 

As for using a dealer A/C cabin filter at Nissan 1,200b-- Lazada 185b delivered and looked stronger/better. 

Edited by brianthainess

15 hours ago, proton said:

Not going there again, went 2 years ago for a key not locking the car- could not find out why. All it needed was a new battery, they always aver charge and make you wait all day.

Having issues with my Toyota dealer too. Love the vehicles but will have to to think long and hard about buying a new one, which is due soon. Toyota need to check on their dealerships or will lose custom. 

You need to have the Freon topped off but you may have other issues.  Best to have the A/C checked by a qualified shop.  There are A/C shops all over the place once you know the signage. .

Memorize this Thai script and look for it on roadside signs.  It's a Thai transliteration of the word "Air" and is simple enough to remember:  (Dear mods - I know Thai isn't suppose to be used in non-Thai forums, but in this case this script is more like a picture that the Op can remember in order to identify a road-side A/C shop.  Thanks)
975591201_Screenshotfrom2023-06-1210-15-22.png.b77cde7ec96da68c3137aa0b52bae430.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stoner said:

check the refrigerant and pressure levels of the ac system. sounds like you have a leak possibly or your compressor is shot. 

or the compressor clutch.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, connda said:

Memorize this Thai script and look for it on roadside signs.  It's a Thai transliteration of the word "Air" and is simple enough to remember: 

Exactly. On some main roads there are specialized workshops every 500 m. No advantage to visit a Toyota dealer (that's what they are).

Just did the math: 2566 - 2547 = 19.

So our first car, a Vios is a whopping 19 years old.

Runs smooth and strong, no rust no nothing.

AC is better than my 2011 Mazda.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

A Toyota dealer will know for sure... 

17 year old PreRunner with same air-con problem, used a recommended back street place twice to clean and re-charge the system, everything OK when leave, after a couple of weeks, back to blowing warm air (it's cooler when I take air from outside the car than recirc inside).

B#gg#r this I thought take it to Toyota they'll fix it while they look at the clutch, car was there for a whole day, then it was we need to order a part for the air con, bring the car back tomorrow, again another whole day (bill in excess of 40k including a new clutch plate).

2 months on back to where we started, intermittent cold air but mostly warm.

Don't want to change the car it's only got 240k on the clock and mostly runs like a sewing machine, but beginning to think it's the only solution.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grusa said:

or the compressor clutch.

bingo mrs said burnt out clutch, last thing I would have thought of, new one 900 baht probably cheap one, they always seem to go for that option. So much going wrong with it all at once probably time to start thinking about a new car, only done 64k kilometers though

1686543404892.jpg

Edited by proton

9 minutes ago, proton said:

bingo mrs said burnt out clutch, last thing I would have thought of, new one 900 baht probably cheap one, they always seem to go for that option. So much going wrong with it all at once probably time to start thinking about a new car, only done 64k kilometers though

1686543404892.jpg

Whatever unless you want a change of motor the car air-conditioning needed a part after 11 years isn't that bad.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

17 year old PreRunner with same air-con problem, used a recommended back street place twice to clean and re-charge the system, everything OK when leave, after a couple of weeks, back to blowing warm air (it's cooler when I take air from outside the car than recirc inside).

B#gg#r this I thought take it to Toyota they'll fix it while they look at the clutch, car was there for a whole day, then it was we need to order a part for the air con, bring the car back tomorrow, again another whole day (bill in excess of 40k including a new clutch plate).

2 months on back to where we started, intermittent cold air but mostly warm.

Don't want to change the car it's only got 240k on the clock and mostly runs like a sewing machine, but beginning to think it's the only solution.

I just gave away a 12 year old car as it was more predictable that i would have a problem next month than not. I should have done that 2 years ago... I am at the age where convenience is worth the money... 

• Like 1