China and Thailand plan joint military cooperation to maintain regional stability

webfact

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Uncle Tu is getting pretty cozy this Zi...wasn't there a USN just a carrier group visiting here recently? interesting 

In theory Uncle Tu has been emphatically rejected at the polls, and he and his government are standing down.

In practice of these sort of announcements indicate otherwise.

Mind you, if they do stay on, they might be too busy with "internal security operations" to be able to spend any time on field training exercises with the Chinese.

There again, a Chinese military presence in Thailand, however it is billed and for whatever the purpose, would add an interesting perspective to things!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

And that boys and girls is why the US will not sell the F-35 to Thailand 

I doubt that Thailand cares. The F-35 is horrendously expensive, and China and Russia also make decent warplanes these days. America's days of hegemony are over.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

By threatening to invade the sovereign country of Taiwan?  

I don't think so!

?? which sovereign country? only the below 12 former 13 "countries" recognised taiwans sovereignty 

Belize,

Guatemala, 

Haiti,

Vatican City, 

Honduras (not anymore since early 2023)
Marshall Islands 
Nauru   
Palau    
Paraguay    
Saint Kitts and Nevis   
Saint Lucia    
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines   
Tuvalu

all other do not and officially stand to the one china policy

also taiwan is not officially a "country"

just the facts regardless of geopolitics and opinions

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Mark17AA said:

Stability and China in the same sentence, how does that work ?

Very well of course. In the same way Freedom and North Korea works (ask Kim Yong-Un) or Democracy and ..... ah, nah....

All depends on your viewing angle.

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If I was Thailand, I wouldn't trust China, and if I was China, I wouldn't trust Thailand. Both countries' leaderships are as untrustworthy as they come. 

Ask any Afghan who fought the Taliban how trustworthy America is. The fact is that all countries put their own interests first. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

?? which sovereign country? only the below 12 former 13 "countries" recognised taiwans sovereignty 

Belize,

Guatemala, 

Haiti,

Vatican City, 

Honduras (not anymore since early 2023)
Marshall Islands 
Nauru   
Palau    
Paraguay    
Saint Kitts and Nevis   
Saint Lucia    
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines   
Tuvalu

all other do not and officially stand to the one china policy

also taiwan is not officially a "country"

just the facts regardless of geopolitics and opinions

That's what people forget. The entire world refused to acknowledge Taiwan's sovereignty, but at the same time rush to defend it by supplying arms. Could this be about protecting markets for weapons?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

current soldiers more in line with the popular vote and the people and will not turn on their own.

thus import other soldiers who will be soldiers with no feelings towards it all and keep the local soldiers on task as well since their will be threats against mutiny that could be enforced then.

Chess moves to stay in power.

Thats my 2 second severely ill informed take.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

That's what people forget. The entire world refused to acknowledge Taiwan's sovereignty, but at the same time rush to defend it by supplying arms. Could this be about protecting markets for weapons?

way more likely than defending illusory democracy

When the fox is talking about peace, then the farmer should watch over his chicken.

Look at Tibet, Hong Kong, Taiwan.  The constant international pressure and tricks, used by China.

Is that not enough to convince people that they should really be more than careful and prepare for a global future that does not look bright at all.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't think so!

That's not the way they see it. China sees Taiwan as a break away Chinese province. All companies and countries doing business with China see it that way too, as the USA said, One China, two systems, so America doesn't regard China's claim as baseless. Uncle Sam will always support the weak and democracy, unless economics muddy the situation or oil or the people vote for a left wing democratic government then they become pragmatic and let the CIA lose.

11 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't think so!

Taiwan is not a sovereign country, whether you say that lie once or hundred times.  Most of the UN members recognise only one China including all the western countries. There are a handful of countries recognising Taiwan as independent state, and that recognition was funded by Taiwan. However it appears that recently the Chinese have more cash, so even these countries are jumping ship.

This is how a major war will start in Asia, the Chinese will be goaded on attacking Taiwan by a certain country all of a sudden saying that things have changed and now there are two China states.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

The original was "With friends like the USA..................................................." as was coined during WW2.  My father served alongside yanks during that war and he would often give me the same warning when I was a child.  Try to be original if you are going to invent stuff!

Oddly enough I did not claim to invent it, nor did I claim that my father had told me the same thing when I was a child.

I am sure that if you search the internet you will find quite a few example of similar wording, yet nobody seems to claim that they invented it.

Note that this statement came from China's Li and not from any Thai official. They could be spinning this to their benefit. Meanwhile you can expect Western countries to have a very terse and firm response should this take place. Obviously what we have here is Thai government cozying up to China because of tourism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dart12 said:

current soldiers more in line with the popular vote and the people and will not turn on their own.

thus import other soldiers who will be soldiers with no feelings towards it all and keep the local soldiers on task as well since their will be threats against mutiny that could be enforced then.

Chess moves to stay in power.

Thats my 2 second severely ill informed take.

Hmm, well, it is not, perhaps, entirely far fetched that it may be considered, for example, that "regional stability" could be ensured by garrisoning Suvarnabhumi Airport, and the major access routes to it...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, johnc925 said:

This is a huge mistake, we just got done with US military exercises several months ago... it seems Thailand is going to have to make a choice sooner or later who they side with... and if it's China I know I'll be departing.

Bye. Don’t let the door…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

When the Philippine government learned what "friendship" with China was like it decided it liked the US better.

Philippine government ie Ferdinand Marcos Jr. You do know that his father was one of the most corrupt presidents of all time and that his mother possessed over 6,000 pairs of expensive shoes while it’s citizens were eating scraps of leftover KFC?

7 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

So G are you saying Taiwan is giving up their democracy and fall under the dictatorship rule of China?

Damn right the US wants Taiwan to retain their freedoms something you might know nothing about…

Are you a Chinese? You do realise that the Taiwanese are actually Chinese right? If not, who are you to think that you know what they want? Oh wait, you’re probably American, thinking you know best.

• Sad 1