Healthcare shortage tackled by Thai government with new strategy

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai government’s Public Health Ministry has laid out strategies to address the ongoing shortage of healthcare professionals in the nation’s state-operated medical sector. Within the next three years, these measures aim to expand the country’s cadre of medical personnel according to current legal parameters.

The government spokesperson, Anucha Buraphachaisri, indicated the interventions may result in a 40% increase in doctors and over a 50% surge in nursing staff by 2026.

The actions respond to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s concerns over the persistent scarcity of medical professionals. The lack of healthcare personnel has placed a considerable burden on new graduates, many of whom opt to leave the high-pressure environment of state-run hospitals for more lucrative and less taxing positions in private institutions.

Buraphachaisri added that Prayut Chan-o-cha recognises the driving factors behind the dearth of medical staff. Thus, the government has taken steps to address this pressing issue, targeting both immediate and long-term solutions.

Part of the solution involves redirecting a larger share of health personnel to support the rehabilitative needs of the country’s estimated one million drug addicts – an area regarded as one of the Ministry’s highest priorities. Buraphachaisri also noted that Tambon health promotion hospitals, designed to relieve larger urban hospitals by providing healthcare services to rural communities, have yet to reach their full potential.

by Mitch Connor

Photo Courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-government-lays-out-strategy-to-tackle-severe-healthcare-personnel-shortage

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

didn't he start packing all his things to leave the house? why is he still talking?555

The Myanmar thing, this here...yes strange....his time is up, even if the MFP can't form a government it won't be him. He reached his expiration date.

He can make a nice plan and leave it on the table for the new PM to consider

3 hours ago, h90 said:

The Myanmar thing, this here...yes strange....his time is up, even if the MFP can't form a government it won't be him. He reached his expiration date.

He can make a nice plan and leave it on the table for the new PM to consider

Perhaps, just perhaps, he/they think, hope, or maybe even know that they he will remain.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, he/they think, hope, or maybe even know that they he will remain.

Even the royalists are bored seeing his face.....But who knows they live in their own bubble....If MFP and PTP can't form a government and there is chaos, he can try to present himself as the person of stability and reason.....That would have worked 2-3 years ago but not now....I think and I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government’s Public Health Ministry has laid out strategies to address the ongoing shortage of healthcare professionals in the nation’s state-operated medical sector.

I don't think he's addressed the real issue, or is just ignoring it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The government spokesperson, Anucha Buraphachaisri, indicated the interventions may result in a 40% increase in doctors and over a 50% surge in nursing staff by 2026.

Please share this amazing plan with the UK government.

• Like 1

As usual, no solution.

Regular working hours and higher pay.

Our government hospital in Sakon Nakhon is a miserable cold war era building packed with patients and very few staff.  Sundays there may or may not be a doctor on duty.

15 hours ago, h90 said:

If you think 50% more are needed, than there is something very seriously wrong.

Did so many leave during Covid (mandatory vaccinations, mismanagement, low salaries, whatever?)?

Are there now so many more sick people? Long covid? Side effects from the vaccines? Side effect from sitting at home and getting more fat?

You can't need +50% without detailed analyzing the problem.

Public hospitals have been always understaffed and underpaid.

Nothing to do with COVID, although during big waves it was overwhelming for medical staff. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

As usual, no solution.

Regular working hours and higher pay.

Our government hospital in Sakon Nakhon is a miserable cold war era building packed with patients and very few staff.  Sundays there may or may not be a doctor on duty.

Public hospitals have been always understaffed and underpaid.

Nothing to do with COVID, although during big waves it was overwhelming for medical staff. 

It was not that bad, or?

increase the payment would be the obvious first step that is easy to do.

And where is a public health plan...we had that before...promoting exercises and good food. Having less customer would also help.

• Sad 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:38 PM, rwill said:

So they are leaving because of low pay but none of their solutions has anything to do with better wages.

Government hospitals are so disorganized compared to the private ones.  And dirtier.  I went to a local one to get my booster shot and  there were patients laying in hospital beds in the hallways and outside.

Which hospital was that?

Here in Kamphaeng Phet province there are patients on hospital gurneys simply waiting to see a doctor. When I go I am usually offer a wheelchair, though If I need a gurney they will give me one.

Normal patients requiring hospital beds are out in the ward areas, and not in the general waiting area.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:38 PM, rwill said:

So they are leaving because of low pay but none of their solutions has anything to do with better wages.

Government hospitals are so disorganized compared to the private ones.  And dirtier.  I went to a local one to get my booster shot and  there were patients laying in hospital beds in the hallways and outside.

Was that in the UK ?

Regards Worgeordie

On 6/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, webfact said:

Part of the solution involves redirecting a larger share of health personnel to support the rehabilitative needs of the country’s estimated one million drug addicts

That won't improve the shortage of nurses or Dr.s , just move some of who they have

to treat  addicts , so on the wards and in hospitals it will be worse,,,, 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newnative said:

I didn't see any 'new strategy'--or any strategy at all.

Crazy.

There going to unload a bunch of Yaba addicts on them plus put them in some shi*-h**e public hospital somewhere as an insentive?!?

Obviously Anutin the rimmer is still in charge. 

• Sad 1