Crackdown on Illegal Foreigners in Sukhumvit-Asok Area

webfact

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Ten plus years ago, a majority of the Sukhumvit vendors were deaf non-speakers. It was a large community and as Thailand has no support system for persons with disabilities, a very practical solution to their support needs.  Then the BMA decided to clean out all the Sukhumvit vendors and they were thrown out with no assistance plan.  It was pretty sad.

The current crop of vendors, primarily "marital aids" sellers etc are not Thai. Not sure what Nationality they are.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Plern said:

What a farce. As these are not Westerners they will be 'fined' and released.

Exactly this. So many businesses with one foreigner and no sign of the wife and two other employees or a ratio of non Thai employees to Thais that the regulations only allow for priority BOI companies. A Westerner would last 5 minutes doing that.

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

On June 23, 2023, Lieutenant General Phakphiphat Sajjapun, Commander of the Immigration Bureau, summoned Lieutenant Colonel Phanapha Nuchanarot......,

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The operation started around 4:00pm and ended 8pm.

I'm reading this at 1.20pm on the 23rd. More great Thai reporting. Some people don't even know what day it is is a common phrase in my native UK. Rings true here too, it seems.

44 minutes ago, Plern said:

Watch copy sellers - all foreign (S. Asian). 101%. Even the street bosses are foreign ????

Seen the same blokes for YEARS

How do you know they aren't Thai nationals? Did you ask to see their ID's?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's way past the time when immigration police should be arresting there own at the airports like Phuket Airport when I returned with my girlfriend and her visa expired on the same day they Raped her for 5000 baht cash were going to send her back to Singapore,,, so 2henare these officers going to crack down more so on their own,,, I've got the bastards name, time and flight number plus his QR code for his number

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Ten plus years ago, a majority of the Sukhumvit vendors were deaf non-speakers. It was a large community and as Thailand has no support system for persons with disabilities, a very practical solution to their support needs.  Then the BMA decided to clean out all the Sukhumvit vendors and they were thrown out with no assistance plan.  It was pretty sad.

I have always loved the lively athmosphere of these stalls on the walkways between Asoke and Soi 1. They not only did provide some livelyhood for the sellers - I think the tourists did like them as well. I do not believe that any of them did complain. All part of the wrong attitude to "clean" up the city like they did in Singapore - killing all the fun and leaving nothing but a sterile environment behind - like many have in their home countries and would want to leave behind to have a good time here. I have not been there for some years now but hope they left even a little bit of vendors and foodstalls alive. Maybe the responsible entities need some lessons of what is (was) lovable in Thailand and what is not. I think they really do not know and they think they are doing their best.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

It's way past the time when immigration police should be arresting there own at the airports like Phuket Airport when I returned with my girlfriend and her visa expired on the same day they Raped her for 5000 baht cash were going to send her back to Singapore,,, so 2henare these officers going to crack down more so on their own,,, I've got the bastards name, time and flight number plus his QR code for his number

did you really mean to type "Raped her for 5000 baht cash" or did you mean ripped her off for 5000 baht

Edited by TigerandDog
additional information
  • Haha 2

It was always my understanding that the principle endeavour of the constabulary on that part of Sukhumvit was running a sophisticated and comprehensive protection racket for the street traders. I wonder how this fits in, perhaps another level of taxation.

Why on earth is Special Branch involved? I thought they existed to monitor terrorist suspects and political extremists? Mind you, I don't suppose that there is much scope for informal fiscal arrangements in that field - so perhaps they are moonlighting?

• Thanks 2