Why did you move here to CM instead of other cities in Thailand?....Are you still happy?

BKK24

Why did you move here instead of other cities in Thailand?

Are you still happy being here or any difficulty/caution you want to share? Just want to hear from those who have the first hand experience

I was thinking of BKK, but the wife said it's always flood every year (just more or less each year), too many mosquitos (dozen species of them) and too hot & high humidity.  In addition to being too  close to her family, the main issue is that the family like to go to temples but she doesn't like to go that often.  On her day off she just want to sit back and relax at home.

I am here now I usually come one week a month to get away from the madness of Pattaya.  Unfortunately, the smoke early in the year is not just annoying but a true health hazard in my opinion.  Stay home mostly for 2 months with air filters running to get through it.  If you play golf it can fill time.  It is not terrible in CM better then some places in Isan. It seems to kill time many people go to one of the 100's of coffee shops or walk the mall.  It can be boring, but any place gets a little boring over time.

I personally prefer Bangkok over here just me, as many I know dislike Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

I lived in cm about 5 years. I left because I got bored going to the same places and eateries each time. After years in one spot I need to get out for more stimulation and to see new things.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Next month marks 12 years retired in Chiang Mai living along the 3rd ring road. During 2009 & 2010 I came 4 times, a month for each visit. I traveled around Thailand to see where I might settle. CM had 5 universities and I thought I might want to continue working with students (western history or conversational English). There are other Thai areas I think I could be happy living but CM seemed to check all the desires. Raised in the Philly metro area, I prefer to live outside Bangkok and am partial to the mountains over the beach for “home”. Granted, either stay in or leave the area during a month of the smoky season.

• Like 1

They really need to work on the parking, exacerbated by the store owners who reserve the parking places on the street in front of their stores... 

But, I live out of town and still enjoy going in town... though there are good restaurants and massage out here too... 

• Like 1

I have lived in Chiang Mai "Province" off and on for ten years; Doi Saket, Mae Rim, Sarapee and Sanpatong. In the countryside; the City within easy reach with plenty of transport, except after dark it seems!

Never have I been remotely affected by the smog, that I acknowledge is there. Chiang Mai, is not like many countries second cities and certainly has a character that I know and like. Yes, the traffic has got worse but that is the case everywhere I can think of!

Businesses come and go, restaurants change hands often that allows for the variation in experiences. Things hardly ever remain the same - some good, some not so good.

I first lived in Chiang Mai area 20 years ago and when had been there for about three weeks I was asking those who had been there for a few years and I recall them saying, yes, it is nice here but not as good as the past! In some ways, now, I would say something similar.

Some people wouldn't like Chiang Mai and many choose Pattaya for example, but certainly not me!

If I became single again, Chiang Mai would be one of my first places to move to.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/24/2023 at 1:44 PM, BKK24 said:

Why did you move here instead of other cities in Thailand?

Are you still happy being here or any difficulty/caution you want to share? Just want to hear from those who have the first hand experience

I've been living 10 months a year in Chiang Mai for 15+ years now and it gets worse every year. Congested, polluted and so frustrating getting around due to traffic and u-turns that I dread going in to the city. Housing is becoming a real problem because land is so expensive the only people who buy are property developers that build these awful congested little housing projects that are so close the roofs nearly touch. I saw a 1 rai piece of land in some ghetto little village in Mae Jo yesterday for 6.5 million baht. More 11x11 meter plots for tiny houses will occupy that whole field soon and more congestion to follow.

Any smaller city in the region is better in my opinion unless you're easily bored and need to go to new places every night and be around crowds of people.  100% I would move tomorrow if I could find something to do with my wife. Places in the north I would move to:

1) Mae Hong Son

2) Nan

3) Chiang Dao

4) Phayao

5) Chiang Rai (maybe)

Of course this all subjective. Chiang Mai was tons of fun when I was in my 20s and there was less car traffic but now I want something more livable and chill. I'm leaving back to Colorado next week and I'm already dreading the horrible road conditions when I get back.

Remember it gets worse every year so if your off put by traffic and congestion it's only getting worse next year.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 4:47 PM, Bassosa said:

8 years in CM and I'm looking for a way out. 

I came to realise that I don't want to live in a car-centric society anymore even though I do own a vehicle.

This is the primary point. Chiang Mai is great city BUT you're trapped within a horrible network of roads with some of the most inconsiderate drivers in the world so doing simple things like to doing an errand can be long detours around u-turns with crazy fast driving. Anytime I go some place else I realize how terrible it is living like that. If you must live here you need to be extremely strategic on where you live and make sure you're not trapped between any of the major roads, which are always expanding and encroaching on once nice areas, and it's only going to get worse next year...

On 6/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, GaiwanAddict said:

We are moving to Prachuap Khiri Khan after 2 years in Chiang Mai. The last burning season was disastrous. There is also a lot of traffic jam especially during the high season. The food is not very good either, it is too bland. No comparison to the food in the rest of Thailand. The friendliness of the people is also decreasing because more and more people from Bangkok live here, unfortunately. I definitely cannot recommend Chiang Mai.

Lanna food is great. Bland 555

• Thanks 1

Just now, bignok said:

Why mhs?

The city is very quiet and charming and has lovely mountains all around. It's more remote but still going to immigration would be much easier than Chiang Mai. Getting imported foods would be very difficult and airport travel a problem since CM is ~7 hour drive away.