Possible return to the UK, without any money.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Get off the plane, throw a brick through a shop window.

Immediate free housing, food, health care and counselling for as long as you like.

That would have worked out a few decades ago, but today you can hit a policeman in the face and beat the s...t out of him and the policeman will be punished.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Si57 said:

I found it difficult to leave Pattaya it's like being paralyzed, the longer you stay the more you learn about its dark secrets .but I found the strength to leave and closed my room. I took my Yamaha spark which I brought new in Chiang mai years earlier,and headed to rayong. a interesting journey north up through chantaburi. Feeling great relief I had finally left Pattaya.

Interesting. What specifically was keeping you from leaving Pattaya?

On 6/30/2023 at 8:27 AM, Shannoblic said:

Although UK State pensions are not taxed [they are below the tax threshold] the Government adds them to any private/forces etc. pensions you have.  This usually takes you over the tax threshold [set at £12,570 for the 23/24 tax year]

And they do this by reducing the Personal Allowance by the amount of the State Pension thus ensuring that the tax is collected at source by, in my case, my Pension Provider.

The Personal Allowance has been frozen until, and including, the 27/28 years, the media is reporting that many middle income taxpayers, including pensioners, are being dragged into the 40% tax bracket as a result of this stealth tax.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:38 PM, KhunLA said:

he should have quit being an alky,

A whole lot easier said than done. Being an alcoholic is not the same thing at all as being a heavy drinker, it is a physical addiction very difficult break.

6 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

elfpattaya - you MUST be joking!  All income generated in the UK is taxed at source if you are on private pensions.  

I deleted my Post because I didn't want to be involved in a ping pong about tax.

You can live abroad and still be a UK resident for tax, for example if you visit the UK for more than 183 days in a tax year.

oldgit - same position as you.  Personal allowance reduced by amount of State pension so pay tax every month.

One possible ray of hope is that no UK government can tie a future government.  Therefore, if, for example, there was an election and the Labour Party gained power they could [and I specify could NOT would] pass a new budget which removed that freeze.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

oldgit - same position as you.  Personal allowance reduced by amount of State pension so pay tax every month.

One possible ray of hope is that no UK government can tie a future government.  Therefore, if, for example, there was an election and the Labour Party gained power they could [and I specify could NOT would] pass a new budget which removed that freeze.

Don’t hold your breath!

The Labour Party showed no sign in the past of wanting to remove the freeze.

No government has the desire, or incentive, to change the status quo.

25 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

elfpattaya - you MUST be joking!  All income generated in the UK is taxed at source if you are on private pensions.  

Sorry to disagree, but that's certainly NOT my own experience, my combined-income from two small personal-pensions and my OAA slightly-exceeds the personal-allowance for income-tax, all are paid Gross, and I need to make a self-assessment return & payment-by-cheque every year !

On 6/26/2023 at 4:46 AM, Terry2905 said:

Hi everyone. 

It is looking likely that I will have to return to the UK in maybe the next 8 weeks. 

I have fallen on hard times, with a heart operation that the insurance refused to pay for. 

That took most of my savings. 

I do not receive my UK pension until May 2024, and my remaining savings will not last that long.

I suffer with extreme anxiety issues, and have become an acute alcoholic.

My question is what what becomes of me when I arrive in the UK, with no accommodation and very little cash?

I will be able to afford my flight, and a few nights stay in a b&b, but who would I need to contact immediately for accommodation assistance and income for necessesaties?

I have no family or friends that would help me.

So my basic question is what would be my 1st steps to take?

I can't seem to find any direct answers on the Internet. 

I only find things like contacting shelter UK, or the local council. I find it all very confusing, but maybe some of you have had friends in a similar situation, and can offer me advice. 

Thak you in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Find a job.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Si57 said:

I found it difficult to leave Pattaya it's like being paralyzed, the longer you stay the more you learn about its dark secrets .but I found the strength to leave and closed my room. I took my Yamaha spark which I brought new in Chiang mai years earlier,and headed to rayong. a interesting journey north up through chantaburi. Feeling great relief I had finally left Pattaya.

Hop on a bus.

Ricardo - I agree with you but was quoting my own [and others] experience where taxes are collected at source.  This removes the necessity for self-assessment returns and any payments.

hotandsticky - totally agree!  Was just pointing out that succeeding governments have the ability to change a previous governments plans

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Interesting. What specifically was keeping you from leaving Pattaya?

You settle into a routine, everything is provided for you. After a couple of years it's like you loose the will to move on,but in the back of your mind you know you must. I was lucky I was looked after by the walen girls who asked me if I would like to work there.but I politely declined their kind offer.as I would never have got away from the place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Si57 said:

You settle into a routine, everything is provided for you. After a couple of years it's like you loose the will to move on,but in the back of your mind you know you must. I was lucky I was looked after by the walen girls who asked me if I would like to work there.but I politely declined their kind offer.as I would never have got away from the place.

So your saying it becomes too comfortable because people are overly catering to you and you get lazy?

Or, is it more like a depression and lack of willpower?

7 hours ago, Denim said:

A whole lot easier said than done. Being an alcoholic is not the same thing at all as being a heavy drinker, it is a physical addiction very difficult break.

Thank you for posting your reply. An awful lot of people do not understand that is an illness and very difficult to break to break the addiction. 

From personal experience with my psychiatrist in Bangkok hospital, alcoholism is just a part of normal life in Thailand, and there is zero support. 

1 hour ago, Terry2905 said:

Being agnostic, and pretending would be a sin. Enough said. 

Those morals are going away quick if you find yourself homeless though. People do whatever they need to to survive on the streets. Your choice may be choosing the lesser of two evils. There are gray areas, not all black and white.

12 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Those morals are going away quick if you find yourself homeless though. People do whatever they need to to survive on the streets. Your choice may be choosing the lesser of two evils. There are gray areas, not all black and white.

What choice do I have?

The sinclair method will not help me.

Lesser of 2 evils?

I either lie to the AA, even if they could help me with my alcoholism or I end up living in the streets in the UK. 

I can't lie. 

Suicide is always an option. The psychiatrist always prescribe more than enough valium to do that. 

But I have tried that in the past, ans said my goodbye to my very few friends, and I did actually die in the ambulance once, but they revived me.

Yes it tought me a lesson. 

But I have also learnt that the uk health system will not not help me.

I am honestly at a complete loss what to do. 

32 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

What choice do I have?

The sinclair method will not help me.

Lesser of 2 evils?

I either lie to the AA, even if they could help me with my alcoholism or I end up living in the streets in the UK. 

I can't lie. 

Suicide is always an option. The psychiatrist always prescribe more than enough valium to do that. 

But I have tried that in the past, ans said my goodbye to my very few friends, and I did actually die in the ambulance once, but they revived me.

Yes it tought me a lesson. 

But I have also learnt that the uk health system will not not help me.

I am honestly at a complete loss what to do. 

In the worst despair, life have a tendency to turn around for some strange reasons. Im positive good things will happen soon, just give it a chance

5 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

The psychiatrist always prescribe more than enough valium to do that. 

Best not to take any Valium into the UK. It is a prescription  drug and if found in your luggage you could get hassled.

Unfortunately, your future is in your own hands and you have to just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you arrive at some kind of solution.

Things have a way of working themselves out given some time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Best not to take any Valium into the UK. It is a prescription  drug and if found in your luggage you could get hassled.

If you have the doctors certificate and or prescription and receipt etc from a hospital or clinic you should be ok with enough for three months, this is following guidance on  Uk gov website.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

I find it very offensive to see some of the replies on here from the hiso, ignominious people, who have no respect for people like me who have fallen on bad times.

I asked a simple question, for guidance on returning to the uk, and not because I am an alcoholic. 

So Jack get of your high horse.

I don't think you fell on hard time, you jumped on hard times.

Simple solution ... back to UK, take whatever housing available, possibly only a shelter providing, until gov't can help, if ever.

Step 2 .... get a job ... any job.  Surely they have temp employment agencies.  Sign up, show up everyday, and take what's available.  Temp job, may even turn into a permanent job, if they like you.  Find a steady job, not daytime.  Maybe part time dishwasher at restaurant, or something else overnight, as always hiring, to keep days open for better options.   I've done both, when needed.

I wasn't born with a 'small fortune' ... I worked for & earned it.

Last obvious advice .... quit being an Alky, as suspect this is the root of all your problems

Good Luck.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I havent read the entire thread but there is definately a welfare office at Heathrow for just this situation.

It literally only popped up on Sky news few days ago over slightly different issue but the Police guy they were following for the report explained what the office can do. I was very surprised

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1