Thailand braces for liquor industry disruption under Move Forward

webfact

image.jpeg

Craft brewers and distillers call for easing of production curbs

BANGKOK -- It took only a word from Thailand's prime minister hopeful to trigger a run on local liquor brands Sangvein Spirits and Issan Rum.

Appearing on a morning TV show in early June, Pita Limjaroenrat named his favorite spirits and reminded audiences of his Move Forward Party's policy to promote Thai liquors abroad.

But as supporters -- who carried the party to a surprise win in the May 14 general election -- rushed to order bottles, they were confronted by the supply issue at the heart of Move Forward's policy. Small distilleries are limited to five-horsepower stills, which means they can make only 100 bottles per day.

"We're actually almost sold out this year. It's going to be rough for us to try to keep up with demand," said Niks Anumanrajadhon, a partner in Issan Rum.

FRANCESCA REGALADO, Nikkei staff writer

Top picture+ Customers enjoy cold beers at a restaurant in Bangkok on June 28. Thailand’s overall beverage market was worth $20 billion in 2020, with alcoholic tipples accounting for 64% of that. (Photo by Ken Kobayashi)

#news

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Food-Beverage/Thailand-braces-for-liquor-industry-disruption-under-Move-Forward

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2023-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

yeah... yeah... yeah... yeahhhhhhhh

i truly dislike 2 faced pitiful pita and the shinawat clan and hope they both rot in monitor lizard dung. but i do hope the oligarchs of brewing have a run for their money

• Confused 10
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Also the import duty and tax on wine needs examination. In Italy last week I enjoyed a bottle of Pinot Grigio for 3 euros, probably 25% of the cost in Thailand.

The domestic wine industry is so small the excuse of protecting it is very shallow, the tax is more of an income generator for the Government.

I don't drink spirits, and the beer here is like fizzy lager, so any reduction on the price of (imported) wine would go down well with me - along with probably quite a few others who would drink more if it was more affordable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terryofcrete said:

Nice to see you practicing your ABCs... soon you can move on to the other 22... good boy ! 

now lets hear you sound out phonically what i wrote. oops, right, needs to be at least kindergarten 2. by the way how bout adding content or an actual opinion to the matter at hand rather than just picking an argument that i wont let you win?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Also the import duty and tax on wine needs examination. In Italy last week I enjoyed a bottle of Pinot Grigio for 3 euros, probably 25% of the cost in Thailand.

The domestic wine industry is so small the excuse of protecting it is very shallow, the tax is more of an income generator for the Government.

Bearing in mind that only 10% of Thais pay tax, or so I've read, then the government has to generate income by heavily taxing 'non-essential luxuries', especially imports. Which is why many imported items cost the same or more than they do in their homeland. It isn't only because of freight charges.

It's a pain in the a***, but understandable. What I don't understand is the tax on imports from ASEAN countries. Beer Lao, and Thai beer that has to be brewed in Vietnam and imported into Thailand are examples. I thought that one of the points of ASEAN was that it operated rather like the EU, which includes tax-free movement of goods between countries. Perhaps, in true Thai fashion, the country believes the law doesn't apply to them and, as one of the bigger players in the region, they get away with it. I might be way off the mark, of course, and stand to be corrected.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK -- It took only a word from Thailand's prime minister hopeful to trigger a run on local liquor brands Sangvein Spirits and Issan Rum

Promote liquor and ban cannabis! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sambum said:

I don't drink spirits, and the beer here is like fizzy lager, so any reduction on the price of (imported) wine would go down well with me - along with probably quite a few others who would drink more if it was more affordable. 

wouldn't it be ncie to have reasonably priced  wine to drink here. To get a half decent bottle here now, you have to spend at least 7-800 thb..  What is that, around 17 Euros per bottle?  I think a bottle of that quality would cost as little as 4-5 Euros back in Europe? 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

If memory serves, the original reasons for the high tax on wine is that it is a luxury product and Thai people don't drink it. Well, not being a French colony that would be understandable, compared to Laos.

But as the Thai middle class, middle income,  grows more of those Thais are drinking wine, usually though it's the low priced imports. Perhaps because outside Bangkok and tourist / expat hotspots it's hard to find "middle" priced wines on shelves or in restaurants. You have to look online. For decent wine one pays alot more than in wine producing countries in Europe. In the UK there's a wide choice from all the wine producing areas of the world but prices are not so different to Thailand due to high duty levels.

• Like 1

Dismantling such an ingrained monopoly, with all the laws and regulations designed to prevent an effective challenge will take time. I wouldn't imagine that the situation on the ground will change for at least six months, maybe more.

The monopolies contacts run deep. Do you remember the Police General who was so concerned by the crowd he observed at a pub and craft brewery in Bangkok, seen from the back seat of his staff car, and assessed by him to constitute a risk to the structure of the building, that he very public spiritedly ordered it closed with immediate effect!

Nothing to do with him being on a handsome retainer from one of the big two brewers of course - perish the thought, it was unworthy of me!

• Like 1