Passenger sustains serious injury on escalator at Don Mueang airport

snoop1130

58 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Note: you're insulting a lot of people here who you don't agree with. Cut it out - there's no need for it. You can answer politely or just don't reply.

I agree with you on this... 

I was however responding to the 'galactic insult' towards all Thai's with the comment 'TIT' (this is Thailand)... in the suggesting that the only reason the leg was amputated was to save money. 

None of vitriol in that response was directed towards you... 

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Yes. The Thai bean counters made the decision to cutoff her leg and pay some pittance as opposed to ripping up the hardware and paying a lot to repair the walkway. TiT.

My heart goes out to the victim of this heart wrenching and totally avoidable accident caused by using equipment past its sell by date and then not bothering to maintain it. From the photographs it is hard to see what happened but one assumed a section of the walkway collapsed just before the end pulling her leg down and the section behind it that did not collapse severed her leg. Some reports blame her for tripping over her suitcase but that would not sever her leg, if a piece of the walkway did not collapse under her.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JensenZ said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps...  but this has nothing to do with 'no wanting to cut open' the travelator...  that suggestion is moronic... 

I imagine they didn't have the tools onsite quickly enough and a decision had to be made fairly quickly to ensure life-saving treatment took precedence to avoid serious loss of blood and threat to life. 

Or, perhaps they'd already established that the leg was unrecoverable (mangled ?), although someone mentioned in another post that it was reported 'somewhere' that the leg could be re-attached - I'm not so sure about that. 

Expand  

You might be more sure about if you investigate the possibilities of limb reattachment. They have successfully managed to reattach limbs since the 1960's. The amputation would provide the clean cut needed to give her more chances of successful surgery.

The amputation was to 'free her'....  and I assume, render immediate life saving treatment. 

If her lower leg was mangled by the travelator teeth (or whatever we want to call them), I'm not sure sure 're-attachment' is a viable option... hence the comment 'I'm not so sure about that'...  when the discussion concerns re-attachment.

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, rwill said:

It looks like it was more a matter of the guards before you step off being broke off.

The passenger was rushed to Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital in the capital for emergency treatment

I guess that the section of the walkway she was standing on suddenly collapsed as she was coming to the end of it, causing her leg to fall down a hole and be trapped by the intact walkway section behind it before she could haul it out.  There is a clip in the Mail article showing several sections of an escalator collapsing and swallowing up a man completely in Turkey.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I agree. She's still conscious after having her leg amputated? And normally Thai news media blurs out a victim's face but not in this horrendous accident? Furthermore, without the victim's consent the photo may violate the Personal Data Act. 

The photos are from the Mail in the UK. 

In no way to detract from this poor woman's plight, I met a woman in the Beer Hall off Sukhumvit, Nana area, years ago, and got chatting. She lost a leg in an equally terrifying way at Hualamphong, running for a train in high heels. I'll spare you the details, but believe me, they were horrific. She seemed to have recovered from the dreadful trauma extremely well, and was able to lead what appeared to be something of a normal life, out with friends and doing whatever people do in such an establishment. Well, apart from drinking beer that is. Her story haunted me and still does. She was able to recount every detail of the accident, but had the amazing strength not to let it destroy her life. Kudos!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Safety checks are to be carried out on all moving walkways at Bangkok’s Don Mueang airport, after a woman lost part of her leg yesterday morning at 8.40am, June 29.

Should be part of a daily safety inspection... to prevent such accidents not done after an incident

Thailands safety record stinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Absolutely a malfunction and likely negligence.

I could not quite get it from the Thairath article but they compare to some "China" case where a person was even killed. Falling into some collapsing "floor plate".

Terrible!

How many million Dollars in compensation would that be in the US? And here?

In Thailand 10,000baht a Whai and a mama pot noodle unless there is insurance.

19 hours ago, riclag said:

My wife says she’s only gonna use the stairs in the future!

They also might collapse, or the hand rail come away from the wall. 

I nearly fell head first down some stairs when I tripped on the grip / anti slip rod that had come loose and was like a trip wire. 

Edited by jak2002003

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see the PM has got his priorities right. In his own mind, anyway.

A spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office Ms Trisulee Traisanakul expressed his concern for the country’s image and reputation abroad.

‘Because Don Mueang Airport is an international airport, the service users are both Thai and foreigners. This will impact the image of the country’s tourism. 

Hmm.. Now the poor lady will probably get into trouble for defermation....as she is spoiling the airports reputation. 

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Maintenance is another concept totally foreign to Thais.  Buy it new and keep running it until chewing gum, fencing wire and electrical tape wont keep it going any longer, then you buy a new one (unless somebody gets killed in the meantime).

A risk assessment would identify the preventative maintenance required for such equipment. 

Normally, it should be an FMEA (failure mode effects analysis) done by an engineer, detailing all the required inspection and maintenance in line with manufacturer's recommendations, international and national standards and guidelines etc. 

This forms part of the overall OHS risk assessment of the facility, in this case DM airport passenger terminal.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Good idea.

How do we start?

What will you do?

Please advise guidance.

a few hundred long electric buggies in a separate lane, ferrying people continually..rip out the travellators

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

image.png

Something wrong with this photo ...

Would you sit there like this , when your leg has just been cut off ?

Below the knee ?

Where is the blood ?

Is she 57 yrs old ?

Anyway , if that really happened , sue the <deleted> out of them ...

looks to be well above the knee to me!...Hmm!..no torniquet or sedation..more to this. Am sorry for the woman.

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

The penalty and damages awarded should be set so high that the airport goes out of its way to make sure this never happens again.

Fining them is no good as it's a state enterprise so I would suggest a few hundred million Baht in compensation may have the desired effect.

I agree 100%...oh well we really didn't need a new airport in CNX.

22 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

You have to do a risk assessment sat on your sofa here every object appears to want to end you ????  

A Risk Assessment more like a Servicing and Inspection record of the escalator 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The amputation was to 'free her'....  and I assume, render immediate life saving treatment. 

If her lower leg was mangled by the travelator teeth (or whatever we want to call them), I'm not sure sure 're-attachment' is a viable option... hence the comment 'I'm not so sure about that'...  when the discussion concerns re-attachment.

I made a comment that they MAY have been too quick to amputate. It didn't look like they could see the damage to the lower leg. You replied basically that I'm an obtuse (slow), idiot and I saw similar comments to other members. Get off your high horse. We're only discussing this with limited information and giving opinions.

You've been in Thailand for long enough to know that triage is very primitive here. In Pattaya, when people are on the ground and injured from car and motorcycle crashes, they are often thrown in the back of pick-up trucks and taken to the local hospital. You think they made the right assessment at the airport? Maybe, maybe not. I'm leaning toward not.

Yes, the damage to the lower leg is crucial in this decision, and I mentioned that before you called me a fool. If the lower leg was indeed mangled, then amputation was probably the best option as reattachment would be impossible. You might have missed the report that at Bumrungrad they said they can reattach it, which would probably indicate the lower leg was not beyond repair.

20 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

Woman loses her leg after getting caught in an airport travelator: Passengers' horror as moving walkway at Bangkok airport mangles victim's limb forcing medics to amputate it in order to free her.

Full Story

image.png

Amazing, lose part of a leg and no blood comes out!?  Pants have no blood, escalator no blood, Where is the blood? Another staged photo??? 

Edited by Skallywag
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Amazing, lose part of a leg and no blood comes out!?  Pants have no blood, escalator no blood, Where is the blood? Another staged photo??? 

The blood must be in the section of the walkway that collapsed with the remains of the poor woman's leg.

The question is what are the authorities going to do?  Turn a blind eye and act as its not their responsibility, make a half ass attempt offer a few hundred baht and call it a day still promote Thailand as top destination,  land of smiles or is it continues come at your whole risk. 

Edited by thailand49

30 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The question is what are the authorities going to do? Turn a blind eye and act as its not their responsibility, make a half ass attempt offer a few hundred baht and call it a day

This was in a ThaiPBSWorld link: The airport director and other senior administrators went to the hospital to follow up on the victim’s condition and promised to take care of her medical expenses and compensation...

Better to read up on the event before posting an unjustified rant.

7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

"The airport director and other senior administrators went to the hospital to follow up on the victim’s condition and promised to take care of her medical expenses and compensation.

The management also offered an apology for the accident."

This is AOT, a powerful state enterprise. Their lawyers and connections will ensure compensation is pitiful. The apology is not good enough. The director responsible for safety should be fired without compensation.  It is the only way to make Thais bother about safety.  This was an aged escalator installed in 1996, possibly second hand, and left unused for a few years while the airport was empty. 

This is why a fine is not in any way appropriate here. It's owned by the state, any fine would go to the state.

It should be punitive damages, no fine.

10 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Something wrong with this photo ...

Would you sit there like this , when your leg has just been cut off ?

Below the knee ?

Where is the blood ?

Something wrong with you, her leg is trapped inside the mechanism, out of sight.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This was in a ThaiPBSWorld link: The airport director and other senior administrators went to the hospital to follow up on the victim’s condition and promised to take care of her medical expenses and compensation...

Better to read up on the event before posting an unjustified rant.

Come on Barry is this response for today or something from the past I said to you!  

Bit surprise to even hear from you thought you were the hide and seek type and this is me being very kind! 

My response of course was a generalization which is exactly your response to me.!

You ask me to read what before I response. 

If I got a baht each time hearing take care of her medical bills and compensation I would be rich.  

I Suggest you instead of reading something assuming it is going to be generous in nature is a man still asleep having a wet dream calling other opinion as a rant. 

Because this hit the front page suckers like you dreamers actually think this is going to be sufficient for the lost of her limb and the drama it had caused her. There are hundreds of events like this that don't see the light of day. Citizen falling into manholes,  Doctor getting run down by speeders, there isn't enough text to list them all but we got a true believer in you. The saying they also selling a bridge cheap! 

All the victims family are still waiting compensation for their lost in Sattahip night club fire all they were offered was 50,000 baht what is a limb worth. 

How is that rant!  Bangkok true believer. 

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

You replied basically that I'm an obtuse (slow), idiot and I saw similar comments to other members. Get off your high horse. We're only discussing this with limited information and giving opinions.

I think you should read that post again…. And then reconsider which ‘high horse’ it is you are trying to ride..,

The ‘obtuse’ comment was never levied at you, but another poster who made the ‘bean counter - TIT’ comment.  

You’ll see I’ve agreed with most of what you have written. 
You misunderstood the quote, have become offended & are now looking for an argument you’ll not get from me…