movie lovers?

Do you stream and pay for movies individually - and how does that work?

I have a very varied and eclectic taste in movies - I would love to catch up on older movies that I missed as well. I do have Netflix - but do paid for individual movies work the same way? Can I stop a movie and continue later/tomorrow? 

And who has the best selection? Will I need to buy from many different providers? 

Why don't one of you smart young lads put together a Spotify type service for movies? 

To be honest, as old as I am, I have never in my life paid to download a movie.

The last movie I paid to view was at a movie theatre at the King of Prussia Mall, Raiders of the Lost Ark, back in 1981.

One very good source of free, and sometimes HD format movies, up to 2160p (4k), is UTUBE.

These days, there is a veritable plethora of dynamite old movies, many from the 1940s and 1950s, freely available on UTUBE.  The number of old movies being uploaded/available on UTUBE continues to increase. If you enjoy Film Noir, they're all there and in high video quality.

Therefore, when in search of old movies, UTUBE is a good place to begin.  And of course, you might think that you need to pay for a UTUBE subscription in order to avoid ads. But, I do not pay.  And, I do not see any ads.

If what you are looking for has not yet been uploaded to UTUBE, then maybe your next stop should be the site created by those famous buccaneers. At this site, whatever you have been unable to find on UTUBE you will find here, in 99 percent of cases.

IF, in the rare case, you cannot find what you are looking for having tried option one and option two, then consult the ruskies; they sometimes offer some rare films that nobody else has, period, even films that you cannot buy, films that some had believed to have been lost or destroyed.

You don't really even need an overly fast connection but still be able to download most films within minutes.

Most of films from the Buccaneer Library are offered in several choices of video resolution to suit varied preferences, The Raiders movie, for example is provided in a 1080p, 8.83GiB size file, and smaller files, too.

I don't know much about connecting to NetFlix, but all NetFlix films seem to be offered up by the buccaneers. Spotify, I have never used, just because I find the name Spotify gives me the creeps. But still, using just three easy options, I feel no need for Spotify, and I don't understand all the buzz about it.

So my suggestion might be, before you stream movies, if you think that doing so might be problematic for you, try the three alternative options I have mentioned, because they just might work for you.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The last movie I paid to view was at a movie theatre at the King of Prussia Mall, Raiders of the Lost Ark, back in 1981.

One very good source of free, and sometimes HD format movies, up to 2160p (4k), is UTUBE.

These days, there is a veritable plethora of dynamite old movies, many from the 1940s and 1950s, freely available on UTUBE.  The number of old movies being uploaded/available on UTUBE continues to increase. If you enjoy Film Noir, they're all there and in high video quality.

Therefore, when in search of old movies, UTUBE is a good place to begin.  And of course, you might think that you need to pay for a UTUBE subscription in order to avoid ads. But, I do not pay.  And, I do not see any ads.

If what you are looking for has not yet been uploaded to UTUBE, then maybe your next stop should be the site created by those famous buccaneers. At this site, whatever you have been unable to find on UTUBE you will find here, in 99 percent of cases.

IF, in the rare case, you cannot find what you are looking for having tried option one and option two, then consult the ruskies; they sometimes offer some rare films that nobody else has, period, even films that you cannot buy, films that some had believed to have been lost or destroyed.

You don't really even need an overly fast connection but still be able to download most films within minutes.

Most of films from the Buccaneer Library are offered in several choices of video resolution to suit varied preferences, The Raiders movie, for example is provided in a 1080p, 8.83GiB size file, and smaller files, too.

I don't know much about connecting to NetFlix, but all NetFlix films seem to be offered up by the buccaneers. Spotify, I have never used, just because I find the name Spotify gives me the creeps. But still, using just three easy options, I feel no need for Spotify, and I don't understand all the buzz about it.

So my suggestion might be, before you stream movies, if you think that doing so might be problematic for you, try the three alternative options I have mentioned, because they just might work for you.

I noticed a error when I stated UTUBE resolution goes up to 4k.

Actually, 8k is correct, as you can see from this video:

I found that streaming this video shows download speeds up to about 150Mbps, although my download/upload internet connection promises 1Gbps down and 1Gbps up, which is pretty much standard.

My computer displays are good, but not 8K, for sure.

Most old movies on UTUBE are offered at between 480p and 1080p, it seems.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Why don't one of you smart young lads put together a Spotify type service for movies? 

Because the rights-holders are dead set against it and it'd get shut down PDQ. That's why people use torrents.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Because the rights-holders are dead set against it and it'd get shut down PDQ. That's why people use torrents.

Sure. But, I would have thought that was equally difficult for music... and yet. 

Are torrents legal?

Edited by 1FinickyOne

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Netflix.

Stan.

Prime.

Youtube.

Combined they cost me about $10.00 a month.... So yes I pay to watch movies.

I recall that the cable company, maybe in 1975, connected HBO to our summer house in Cape May, NJ.

I found it exceedingly boring at the time.

Always the same old flicks on offer, and then there was Cinemax which offered the same.

I have always preferred torrenting what I want.

UTUBE is almost as much of a distraction as TikTok.

Most movies produced after Y2K are not watchable, with the exception of things like Pulp Fiction, "unless one enjoys video games", to paraphrase what Jack Nicholson once said when asked why he stopped making new movies.

As the OP stated, old movies are more interesting on multiple levels, and can usually be found on UTUBE.

My only worry, very occasionally, is that the US film companies in Hollywood might go bankrupt without support from movie buffs like me. 

14 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Sure. But, I would have thought that was equally difficult for music... and yet. 

Are torrents legal?

Are they legal?

Why do you ask?

If you are worried about what might not be legal, then you can always restrict your torrent downloads to movies produced by Harvey Weinstein.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Are torrents legal?

no. 

are torrents ethical?

in a world of economic disparity, it arguably is for some folks to use torrents.

is it ethical to freeload off filmmaker's work if you have a certain level of wealth?

especially since netflix is not that expensive? 

Torrents Can Be Dangerous

Before we learn more about how torrents work, it's very important to understand that they also pose a greater risk over other forms of file sharing.

Torrents aren't inherently dangerous to use or create, but it's important to remember that unless you can trust the source, it's far too easy to accidentally download files that weren't uploaded with the proper legal permission or even download files infected with malware.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I recall that the cable company, maybe in 1975, connected HBO to our summer house in Cape May, NJ.

I found it exceedingly boring at the time.

Always the same old flicks on offer, and then there was Cinemax which offered the same.

I have always preferred torrenting what I want.

UTUBE is almost as much of a distraction as TikTok.

Most movies produced after Y2K are not watchable, with the exception of things like Pulp Fiction, "unless one enjoys video games", to paraphrase what Jack Nicholson once said when asked why he stopped making new movies.

As the OP stated, old movies are more interesting on multiple levels, and can usually be found on UTUBE.

My only worry, very occasionally, is that the US film companies in Hollywood might go bankrupt without support from movie buffs like me. 

And that has what to do with me ?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

56 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Are torrents legal?

Different distribution methods. Film & TV is much more monopolistic than music/radio.

Torrents are legal but sharing copyright-protected content is not. So not for everyone.

42 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Torrents Can Be Dangerous

Before we learn more about how torrents work, it's very important to understand that they also pose a greater risk over other forms of file sharing.

Torrents aren't inherently dangerous to use or create, but it's important to remember that unless you can trust the source, it's far too easy to accidentally download files that weren't uploaded with the proper legal permission or even download files infected with malware.

It seems you have omitted the rest of the article explaining how torrents work, it’s not a warning anti-torrent article.

https://www.lifewire.com/torrent-file-2622839

Torrents as a protocol are not inherently dangerous, The video files that others are talking about are not executable files, so the chances of a video file containing a bad actor are very slim. If you read further into the article it specifies mp4 files, in any event you would need to run a process manually, it wouldn’t be a scene from Mr. Robot, where a video is played opening a back door to a hacker.

However, that being said, what concerns me is the light hearted way that people recommend torrents on forums to people who may not be totally computer savvy. You are downloading an application that automatically opens ports within your firewall to the outside world which can be exploited. Maybe you have your crypto wallet, financial details, a backup and details of an encryption file on your computer, bad network and security practices are far more dangerous than the possible threat from a movie file.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thanks for posting something which I understand. Cheers!

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

Paying money to watch make believe things that have been done 10,000 times before. Good guy fights bad guy, bad guys wins for 80 mins, good guy wins at end.

I wish it was 80-90 mins - The wife likes to watch a movie on a Sunday night, we have watched a few things recently - Fast X being one of them, I think John Wick 3 (which I must admit, I like the different fight scenes) every one of them, more than 3 hours! That's almost half a working day!

I used to torrent movies as well as TV series and music. I can vouch for that with having a NAS system loaded with about 16 TB of 'stuff'.......  However I stopped torrenting a few years ago because I can stream and watch nearly everything for free these days.......movies, TV series, live sports, and even some PPV events.

With great Internet speeds these days streaming works well with no (or very little) buffering and with all the great AdBlockers they are essentially ad free.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I wish it was 80-90 mins - The wife likes to watch a movie on a Sunday night, we have watched a few things recently - Fast X being one of them, I think John Wick 3 (which I must admit, I like the different fight scenes) every one of them, more than 3 hours! That's almost half a working day!

Don't watch it then. It's all fake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Happily would, when one of you wealthy old guys fund it.????

don't download bitcomet or some other torrent client.
as you would then have what you need
don't find a torrent site or two you like either.

i got tonnes of old stuff and plenty of hard drives,
DM me if you want to buy a hard drive.

Edited by patman30

Does anyone know of a streaming service that would allow one in Thailand to watch the Turner Classic Movie cable channel?

It is available on Sling but for some reason Sling does not like my NordVPN. So I cannot even subscribe to it.

A FYI for those who use pirate streaming services that seem to be popular.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2019/05/malware-illegal-video-streaming-apps-what-know

This is a warning, from a government source, so to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it is a real threat.

There are safer ways to get your content than visiting these sites or installing their apps - subscribe to a IPTV service, download torrent files. Stremio is considered pretty safe, and also the torrent steaming plug-in on KODI is a good source.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I used to torrent movies as well as TV series and music. I can vouch for that with having a NAS system loaded with about 16 TB of 'stuff'.......  However I stopped torrenting a few years ago because I can stream and watch nearly everything for free these days.......movies, TV series, live sports, and even some PPV events.

With great Internet speeds these days streaming works well with no (or very little) buffering and with all the great AdBlockers they are essentially ad free.

Agree -   Tinyzonetv . cc is my streamer of choice for movies/tv series.

If you like old movies, they are almost all available as torrents, for free!

I use PirateBay to find the movies, and UTorrent to download them on to a PC/USB and plug in to my TV to watch.  (Not as complicated as it sounds, but works perfect when you figure it out).

15 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

If you like old movies, they are almost all available as torrents, for free!

I use PirateBay to find the movies, and UTorrent to download them on to a PC/USB and plug in to my TV to watch.  (Not as complicated as it sounds, but works perfect when you figure it out).

Same same, torrents to the laptop, and watch on the 65" TV, which I use as the laptop monitor anyway.

Too easy & FREE

Really can't remember last time I had any cable/TV, paid subscription service ... maybe 30 yrs ago, maybe.

Was never a fan of TV programming.  Anything I did watch, days past, I recorded, and watch, FF thru the commercials.   Yea, that long ago, before cable.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1