Thai tourism surge: 25 million visitors forecasted, boosting economy

webfact

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Possibly very accurate numbers, as I was surprised how crowded Phuket was a couple weeks ago.   

If we ever return, it will be just a R&R visit, hanging out at the resort, and not bother with exploring out of curiosity.  

Might leave the resort to visit Sunday Market in Old Town, but that's about it.  Lack of parking & price gouging, along with crowded beaches was simply too much of a turn off for us.

The tourist areas may be busy but the rest of the country is not.  Ran into a wayward tourist out my way, who had gone for a drive to see the sights of PKK.  Got to talking and he asked me where all of the tourists and visitors were and why the beaches were empty.  I told him it is low season and besides that the beaches' down here are a best kept secret....

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, 2baht said:

Earlier today!

Thailand’s tourism confidence slides amidst global economy concerns

.................for heavens sake, make up you mind??? I'm almost tempted to use the dreaded confused emoji!

please think before you take such drastic measures. maybe a holiday to relieve some of the stress ? 

i recommend somewhere in south east asia. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, 2baht said:

Earlier today!

Thailand’s tourism confidence slides amidst global economy concerns

.................for heavens sake, make up you mind??? I'm almost tempted to use the dreaded confused emoji!

Agree with you, they have no idea what is happening, quote :

The president of the Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT), Chamnan Srisawat, announced that the second quarter’s score was two points lower than the prior quarter at 72. This noticeably fell short of the identical period in 2019, which recorded 100, inferring weakened optimism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

'Between January and June 25 of this year, the kingdom saw a record-breaking 12.46 million tourists, marking a phenomenal increase of 539% over the same period in the previous year. The bulk of these visitors hailed from Malaysia – totalling 1.9 million. China followed with 1.3 million tourists, then Russia, South Korea, and India with 784,428; 741,909; and 732,523 visitors respectively'.

I'm completely cr*p at math, but even I can see that 1.9m + 1.3m + 78K + 74K +73K does not equate to 12.46 million. It's a total of about 4million.

Where did the other 8 million come from?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a recent announcement, the kingdom is on track to welcome a staggering 25 million tourists by the year end, offering a much-needed booster to the economy. This follows a significant surge in Thai tourism, exceeding 12 million arrivals recorded late last month, as relayed by deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul.

Between January and June 25 of this year, the kingdom saw a record-breaking 12.46 million tourists, marking a phenomenal increase of 539% over the same period in the previous year. The bulk of these visitors hailed from Malaysia – totalling 1.9 million. China followed with 1.3 million tourists, then Russia, South Korea, and India with 784,428; 741,909; and 732,523 visitors respectively.

This unprecedented surge in the number of tourists matches up with the rise in airport usage reported by the Airports of Thailand starting from October of the previous year – the beginning of their fiscal year. The six busiest airports during the October to May period include Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket and Hat Yai- collectively welcoming an impressive 34.3 million, marking a staggering 635% growth year on year.

The airports recorded handling of 202,700 flights – both international and domestic, a substantial 175% leap from the number reported in the same time frame the previous year.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo courtesy of tatnews.org

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/thai-tourism-boom-25-million-visitors-forecasted-boosting-economy-considerably

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

...as long Thailand will be a peaceful country and not running into turmoil over next Govt. election.

With tanks on the street it's unlikely to welcome 12 million "friends".

Hardly a worthy comparison given the BS Covid restrictions that the world sadly accepted up until mid last year. If this year wasn't an improvement on last year there would be something for Thai Tourism to seriously worry about. However low season has been very low and came early in many parts of the country. Given the global economy & the Russian invasion of Ukraine dont get too excited, the 2nd half of 2023 may not be so good!!! 

Airfares have doubled to/from everywhere.  People must have lots of money.  I feel sorry for the marine life.  It was really recovering during the covid lock down.  And it was so peaceful strolling along the beaches without it being packed with garbage tossing, loud, obnoxious and pushy tourists. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is there any doubt as to why this year versus last year saw the supposed 539% increase in tourism from January to June.  Could it be because the country was technically closed during this period of time?  Hi-Season is now over and I would expect only half of the numbers seen so far to be seen in the 2nd half of the year.

Recessions are starting to heat up, companies are laying off staff in the US, savings people had are low or non existent as they pay the higher interest on there mortgages, and many other factors are keeping folks home.  Of course this is my view only, but the many folks I know that would come at the end of the year, are staying put in the US and trying to find secondary jobs over the holiday periods to help pay for things that had been on hold, like Student Loans that they have not had to pay for the past 2 years.  Those loans become due and payable starting in October.  

I think you're too focused on western tourists.  Yes, high season is over for the western tourists who visit Thailand to escape harsh winters.  Many Asian tourists, and in ever-increasing numbers, visit year-round.   Yes, perhaps many of your friends in the US are staying home.  The significant tourist numbers, however, do not come from the US--or Europe, for that matter.  Only Russia warrants mentioning in the top five countries; the rest of the countries are Asian.  From the article, it looks like Chinese tourists are starting to come in significant numbers once again.