Kiwi’s prison plight ends: Thai hellhole release brings a breath of relief

webfact

35 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Everyone in the world knows that SEAsian prisons just like south American prisons are hell holes.

These countries do not look at rehabilitation it is punishment.

We also know that embassies can do little

If you are famous or have famous parents it means nothing unless you are Thai

No sympathy you do the crime you do the time

what's your point, are you actually siding with the RTP behaviour, if so, just say so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am anti drugs , But ruining someone's life over two ecstasy pills is a bit of overkill IMO. 

Not as though the repercussions for being caught with drugs are not known.

Had a friend do 6 months for a joint he had in his pocket.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

He's obviously old enough to have known better. I feel bad for his suffering, but come on, did he not know about drugs and Thai prisons? Why take those kind of chances? I knew about it long before I came here, and I wouldn't at the time (10 years ago) even go near anyone smoking weed.

True true. Never put your self in that position if you do the chances it will happen. 

Years ago I was on walking street daytime in the front using a ATM I noticed a bag on the floor it was clear to me it was weed and something more I never bend down to attempt acted like I never saw it to pick it up I grab my cash and walked away. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

forced to sleep naked on prison floors in Patong, Phuket, and Bangkok prisons. He said, it was worse than any movie depiction and, he thought he was going to die.

i call bs on this. if i am correct there was a thread about this a few months back that had conflicting statements in it. 

i could be wrong.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“The business was great when I came here, I made a lot of money and then Covid hit.

what's the issue here sport ? during covid the crypto market went bananas. it was literally a chicken shoot. the bottom of the market was mid march 2020. it went up for a year straight after that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

Isn't the point of Crypto currency the fact you do it online from anywhere?

" believed his crypto business would thrive in thailand"???

Maybe he convinced a few cops to become fabulously wealthy buying crypto and then when they figured out he had conned them they were not real happy....what kind of crypto biz exactly requires you to be anywhere other than in front of a keyboard? 

Something seems to be missing from this story.

2 hours ago, kwaussie said:

That is just appalling treatment for 2 tablets and certainly a warning for every one else if you didnt already know to keep away from drugs. 

Who would not know that having illegal drugs is not a good idea in SEA? IMO one would have to be pretty ignorant not to and one has to wonder if they should be let on a plane if that dumb.

Always some chancer to give the cops entertainment though. Loads of the idiots go to the FMP and buy drugs from dealers that inform the cops who they sold to.

The only thing I was ever really scared of while in LOS was being banged up in a scam and ending up in a Thai jail. I certainly never used illegal drugs while there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

what's your point, are you actually siding with the RTP behaviour, if so, just say so.

One does not need to side with the RTP to know that if one gets caught with illegal drugs in one's possession one's life is going to turn to <deleted> real quick.

Personal responsibility and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Oh dear, is that the best you can come up with, here's another saying, you shouldn't judge a book, by it's cover.... I guess you would think Albert Einstein, is in the same catagory.... lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder how many of the commentators here that push for throwing him in a deeper and darker hole, he broke the law and deserves the worst, yada yada.... are the sort that brag about paying off a cop who pulls them over for drunk driving? "Yeah, no nanny state here... just pay the bribe and you're on your way".

Which would a sane person consider a greater threat to the public?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Oh dear, is that the best you can come up with, here's another saying, you shouldn't judge a book, by it's cover.... I guess you would think Albert Einstein, is in the same catagory.... lol

No, Albert Einstein looks like an intelligent person.

einstein.jpeg

Apart from that, you shouldn't take my comments, and probably many other, too serious.

This is an internet forum for expats in Thailand, not a serious scientific conversation. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

From the article it seems he was never in prison. It appears he was fined and kept in IDC waiting to be deported. I suspect the conditions in IDC are rough but the pictures suggest you can have a mobile phone. It would also seem he needed the NZ embassy to get him a flight? Was that due to his conviction or because he had no money to buy a ticket?

I did know a guy who got banged up in that IDC place he had his phone with him, he was only there for a week before he got a flight back to the UK