Favorite source/product for hamburger buns in Thailand?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

It'll possibly take you longer to read any replies to this question, and then go out to buy them. 

10 minutes kneading the dough in a processor, or by hand, and when your guests say how good they taste, and enhance the taste of the 'home cooked' burgers, you should be very proud of yourself. 

I agree with you. You want good bread here in Thailand. Make it yourself . And as you said it would take you longer to go buy it than to make it. 

Before I retired , all these thing were to me magic  that cake from factories.

They say "necessity is the mother of invention" . When I retired and moved to Thailand I could not find good bread, so I thought I try my hand in making it.  I was imaged how easy it was , Yeast, water , flour , and a pinch of salt. I like caraway seeds. Throw everything in the mixxer for a few minutes, let rise while you are doing something else. fold a couple of times. let rise again and bake. Eat what you want that day, refrigerate the rest. 

Mayonnaise why does anyone even buy the stuff? a couple of eggs , oil , a bit of lemon or vinegar. stick blender if you have one (on lazada for 500 baht) and you have the best tasting fresh mayo. 

Pickles? equal parts of Vinegar and water, salt, a few cloves of garlic, and if you like spice a bit of pepper flakes, In a jar, for 9 days. I have two jars always going, Once one is empty I start another one , Always have one ready to eat. 

As you said YouTube is your friend. Back in the US a neighbor was throwing out a nice side by side refrigerator,  I asked what was wrong with it, He said it was always icing inside he had enough of it , he is getting a new one, I asked if I could have it to play around. Went on YouTube and typed the name and model with the word icing inside. The vid told me what was wrong (a sensor)

showed me where to find it , (behind  the light in the back) and they even had a link to sell me the part. $15 dollars later I had a nice refrigerator for my Garage that I had for years. Same with the lawnmower, all it needed was a $19 carburetor an 15 min of elbow grease 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Freeze them.

I was referring to emulsifier (Distilled monoglycerides), having a short, 1 yr, shelf live.   Use so little, I'd have a hard time using it all up.

We freeze bread & rolls a lot, as fresh homemade, no preservatives won't last long.  Usually a loaf is gone in a day or so, but sometimes not so fast.  Depends on mood.   Freeze flat bread mostly, as make too much at once.  Use instead of tortillas, as not a really a fan of.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

a different bakery in BKK called Nine Pastry (Sukhumvit Soi 22)....and when I went to their FB site, I found the following:

Screenshot_3.jpg.be0491954f2a7688dd9c53e89532301a.jpg

Now that's a possibility!

https://www.facebook.com/nine.pastry/posts/pfbid02CwN2vT8jPhn8pbbaDSyvhsMzKGizzY6x6Csg7s6tSXM9ZezbBdpoWeGiM89QeNAwl

Just for starters, I ended up ordering these burger buns to give them a try...

Because they're a kind of special order item, the hamburger buns from Nine Pastry are not available apparently via walk-in or even the Grab delivery app...

But you can contact them via LINE or their FB messenger app, place an order, and then pay them for the item(s) and next day delivery via a bank transfer, which is what I did.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just for starters, I ended up ordering these burger buns to give them a try...

Because they're a kind of special order item, the hamburger buns from Nine Pastry are not available apparently via walk-in or even the Grab delivery app...

But you can contact them via LINE or their FB messenger app, place an order, and then pay them for the item(s) and next day delivery via a bank transfer, which is what I did.

That would add a bit to the price of our burgers at the house.  ฿25 per bun vs the ฿50 worth of beef (1000gr @  ฿300 ÷ 166gr = 6 burgers) ????

That's a hell of a mark up at a restaurant that charges ฿300 range for burgers, costing about ฿100 to make, actually ingredients.

Let us know how they taste ????

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a hell of a mark up at a restaurant that charges ฿300 range for burgers, costing about ฿100 to make, actually ingredients.

No, that is about correct for a restaurant's mark up.

3 times the cost should cover rent, electricity, staff, profit for the owner etc etc.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, that is about correct for a restaurant's mark up.

3 times the cost should cover rent, electricity, staff, profit for the owner etc etc.

Makes the BK Whopper (Aussie beef) a bargain @ ฿169 now, abet, no ambiance ????  Our local ma/pa shop puts out an excellent Wagyu burger at ฿159, and they even have AC.

300% sounds about right for food, 100% for beverages, IF having AC.  Rent/mortgage have to be a killer here.  Food is a tough business to crack.

Just now, Wobblybob said:

If bread is soft from Makro or else where for that matter it is probably full of preservatives. 

This lot cost about 50 baht to make plus the cost of the power utilised to bake them.

IMG_20201125_121744.jpg

I make my own also but the macro buns with sesame seeds was not bad, if you toast the inside   in a frying pan with a bit of butter. 

You roles look great. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That would add a bit to the price of our burgers at the house.  ฿25 per bun vs the ฿50 worth of beef (1000gr @  ฿300 ÷ 166gr = 6 burgers) ????

Let us know how they taste ????

50bht worth of beef? Your making sliders! 

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:

50bht worth of beef? Your making sliders! 

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

166gr

Reading comprehension ....

Two 83gr thin patties for more charring flavor.

166gr = .365 lbs, 50% more than used in a BK Whopper (110gr), but on a smaller bun.  Tastes very beefy ????

On 7/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, brianthainess said:

Freeze them.

Unless I’m using it immediately I freeze all my bread and unfreeze a couple of hours before I use it. It’s chemical free but it keeps for at least a month.

Edited by Fairynuff

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Reading comprehension ....

Two 83gr thin patties for more charring flavor.

166gr = .365 lbs, 50% more than used in a BK Whopper (110gr), but on a smaller bun.  Tastes very beefy ????

300bht per kilo beef,  must be something to savour ????

22 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

If bread is soft from Makro or else where for that matter it is probably full of preservatives. 

This lot cost about 50 baht to make plus the cost of the power utilised to bake them.

IMG_20201125_121744.jpg

They look great. Share your recipe? What flour do you use?

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

300bht per kilo beef,  must be something to savour ????

Actually it is, unless I grind my own (rib eye & short rib), but not that much difference, and no grinder to clean.  Feel free to pay more for the same.

Use 80/20 or 70/30, for nice beefy, juicy burger.  

20 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

They look great. Share your recipe? What flour do you use?

I use the White Swan flour, cheap as chips, about 34baht a kilo. 

1 kilo flour. 640 ml water. 28 grams yeast. 16 grams salt and 30 grams of sunflower oil. 

What I do religeously though is to weigh the ingrediants on a scale as I've found using cups to measure is not very accurate. 

Mix/knead the dough by hand for 8 minutes but better still use an upright mixer if you have one for 3 minutes. 

Proper burger buns should weigh 80 grams but I make mine 100 grams. ????

Edited by Wobblybob
Spelling
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I use the White Swan flour, cheap as chips, about 34baht a kilo. 

1 kilo flour. 640 ml water. 28 grams yeast. 16 grams salt and 30 grams of sunflower oil. 

What I do religeously though is to weigh the ingrediants on a scale as I've found using cups to measure is not very accurate. 

Mix/knead the dough by hand for 8 minutes but better still use an upright mixer if you have one for 3 minutes. 

Proper burger buns should weigh 80 grams but I make mine 100 grams. ????

Your recipe is pretty much the same as mine but I sometimes use an egg and sometimes whey from the yoghurt I make. I play around with flours too.

generally my rolls are wider and flatter than yours because I use them for sandwiches.

my favourite bread right now, date and walnut.

as for grammes v cups….. I weigh everything.

• Like 1