Cabinet To Approve Extra Holiday Leading To 6-Day Break

webfact

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

You may well be right. I think there was something on here where somebody,  possibly in government, suggesting people take a day's holiday on the Monday to make a longer holiday. A representative of the banks said they will be open. 

Businesses need far more time to organise than a few old men in government sat chatting around a table. 

It's quite possible my wife's office will be closed but she's arranged something with a factory so that will have to go ahead. 

I've arranged an informal cheap lunch with an also retired friend. I guess it's allowed for that to proceed?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

And Foreign embassies . 

Some yes, some no. The US Embassy, for example, doesn't close on every Thai government holiday, because Washington tries to limit the number of local holidays in each country to no more than the number of US federal holidays (currently 11).

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

And they run out at the end of the month anyway, as people cash out their paychecks.

This is true.....sometimes the machine runs out of just 1000's and I get a lot of 500s, which, TBH, I am usually pleased with as change seems hard to come by. 

It  is the Thai style.. Not thinking ahead but at the moment.. How long do they know already that there is a free day between the holiday and the Buddhistic celebrations?? If they announced it in January there were no problems, now we hear many people complain. Short term vision. Besides there are almost no holidays in Thailand, so why add more? the whole week we read about the household debts, and the Government pushes now again to spend and to go on holiday for the local economy... But very bad for the household debts. They don't care about anything it seems 

17 hours ago, bizboi said:

So another 6 days of “Mai dai” when I go to the beer fridge in the 7/11

Find a wholesale booze shop/distributor. Stock up. When booze runs out, if in a city, call motor bike taxi to deliver for small price.

If in a village the distributor will likely deliver at no charge.

Cut the 7/11's out of the equation.????????

But, if you happen to have an appointment or operation at a government hospital/clinic on Monday, that appointment will now be cancelled/postponed.

I imagine many Thai public hospital/clinic staff will spend today and tomorrow on phones telling patients not to come to hospital/clinic on Monday and trying to reschedule appointments/operations.

20 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

But, if you happen to have an appointment or operation at a government hospital/clinic on Monday, that appointment will now be cancelled/postponed.

I imagine many Thai public hospital/clinic staff will spend today and tomorrow on phones telling patients not to come to hospital/clinic on Monday and trying to reschedule appointments/operations.

Some hospitals, like Siriraj, have already announced that they'll be operating normally and not taking the holiday. Which will probably then lead to criticism of the ones that have followed the government's announcement.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, redwood1 said:

How many bloody Holidays does this country need? They already have loads...

It's like we have evolved beyond the traditional New Years and Songkran breaks....I suppose Bangkokians can choke up the Issarn highways tomorrow.