A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that ‘would affect every person on the planet’

Social Media

image.png

A vital system of ocean currents could collapse within a few decades if the world continues to pump out planet-heating pollution, scientists are warning – an event that would be catastrophic for global weather and “affect every person on the planet.”

A new study published Tuesday in the journal Nature, found that the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Current – of which the Gulf Stream is a part – could collapse around the middle of the century, or even as early as 2025.

Scientists uninvolved with this study told CNN the exact tipping point for the critical system is uncertain, and that measurements of the currents have so far showed little trend or change. But they agreed these results are alarming and provide new evidence that the tipping point could occur sooner than previously thought.

The AMOC is a complex tangle of currents that works like a giant global conveyor belt. It transports warm water from the tropics toward the North Atlantic, where the water cools, becomes saltier and sinks deep into the ocean, before spreading southwards.

FULL STORY

image.jpeg.8cc4dd66bc37851fb61c912d6651869d.jpeg

I was thinking a few years ago about the nasty winters Europe would face if the gulf stream stopped.

It could mean the end of European football. If that doesn't get folks off their bums and start taking action, I don't know what would.

Of course by then it would be too late to do anything to reverse the damage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Social Media said:

Scientists uninvolved with this study told CNN the exact tipping point for the critical system is uncertain, and that measurements of the currents have so far showed little trend or change.

So stop trying to terrify everyone then.

Could. Might. Would.

Trying to terrify people into giving up their rights and handing over their money. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll!

I'm pretty sure they still exist.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But I guess we failed in making the world a better place.

Actually we're safer from climate related deaths than ever before.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-activists-disasters-fire-storms-deaths-change-cop26-glasgow-global-warming-11635973538

image.png.2b879cd98252957ff9336dacddf4b81b.png

Life expectancy is much higher than 50 years ago.

Maybe stop reading all the doom and gloom in the MSM and you'll be a lot happier.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Social Media said:

Scientists uninvolved with this study told CNN the exact tipping point for the critical system is uncertain, and that measurements of the currents have so far showed little trend or change.

err wot?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm pretty sure they still exist.

Actually we're safer from climate related deaths than ever before.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-activists-disasters-fire-storms-deaths-change-cop26-glasgow-global-warming-11635973538

image.png.2b879cd98252957ff9336dacddf4b81b.png

Life expectancy is much higher than 50 years ago.

Maybe stop reading all the doom and gloom in the MSM and you'll be a lot happier.

Dude, speaking as a boomer, I don't need to read any media to know for a fact that our generation failed miserably in the values we collectively espoused in our youths. 

Next 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Dude, speaking as a boomer, I don't need to read any media to know for a fact that our generation failed miserably in the values we collectively espoused in our youths. 

Next 

That's fine, we all have our opinions and outlook on life.

But mainly, I just wanted to introduce some facts to counter the alarmist notion that climate change is killing so many people when as my link showed, climate related deaths are at an all time low and life expectancy at an all time high.

Personally I think it's a great time to be alive and I don't feel "my generation" needs to apologize for anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yes because we got those extreme left cults, that think they know everything, and try to control everyones life

Boomers elected Trump and other illiberal anti-democracy populists in other countries.

'Nuff said. 

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Yes because we got those extreme left cults, that think they know everything, and try to control everyones life

Clearly you mean the right cults trying to control everyone's life. Abortion, book banning, immigration banning, etc, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1