Best way to ventilate a hot room?

happydays

I’ve built a stand alone guest room & it gets very hot. It’s not too much of a problem on sunny days as it has sliding glass doors which when left open during the day ventilate the room pretty well. However, now we’re coming into the rainy season leaving the doors open isn’t an option so I need an alternative form of ventilation. If I was to simply put in some ventilation grilles in the ceiling & in the walls between the ceiling & roof would this make much difference? Would it be better to install electric extractor fans in the ceiling and/or a solar-powered roof ventilator? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I once put two cheap extractor type fans in the walls on either side of a room, one blowing inwards, and the other blowing outwards (made sure to put mosquito nets on them) and it worked a charm!

Creative thinking, I like it ????

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Air con...........happy days are here again! :thumbsup:

Rarely do I use the “cool” setting on the air conditioner. But I regularly use the “dry” setting to reduce the humidity, especially now with the rain.

The issue during rainy season is more humidity than heat and outside air is humid.  Airconditioning (which also removes water) is the best solution.  The outside air is still much hotter than you want so pulling through will not help that much (for getting temps below outside temp).  But if you have high heat buildup from ceiling and walls good insulation/ceiling air flow might be best  (to keep the extra heat out).  

On 7/26/2023 at 11:36 PM, Sheryl said:

1. Install louvered windows (with mosquito netting)  in the space between ceiling and roof  -- front and back

2. Add ventilation grilles to ceiling

3. Retrofit tinfoil barrier  sheets between roof tiles and frame ( be sure to leave a little space)

4. If possible put awning above glass doors and windows as in addition to the roof these also radiate heat

I did the above for a stand alone little house and it made big difference

You might also consider installing a 5 blade ceiling fan.

Agreed and you can buy a film like they use on cars for the glass will also my a big difference 

First stand alone room?

How often is room use " guest room how often?

Based on what you wrote normally but rain season first priority is get made sliding door screen and window.  

Get a 1000 Baht standing fan.

That is a good cheap start. 

Stand alone room, so absorbing all heat in from walls and roof.

I felt the walls on a sunny day, you can touch, but would be like 40-45 C degrees

Of course when humidity goes up, it feels more unbearable.

Only an AC can reduce that effective , but has to work hard, as the temperature also (and continues) rises from the moist in the room. The walls, roof provide that heat.

You are talking about solar, well the solar panels could generate the airco and if you have enough of them, supply power for other things. Solar panels need light.

Not specific sun, but light. The sun heats the panels and brings down efficiency.

And airco eats power. 3000 W, so doing about 10 panels of 400pW.

OK, you do have chemical compounds which attract moist (moist absorber), but then the room must be closed, still with a low speed fan running. You can find moist absorber in lazada, however cant tell how much you would need for a whole room. And then it would be nice if you can regenerate them again by putting it in sun to dry again and to reuse.

Silicagel is such an absorber. But also salt is a good moist absorber, though salt can easily corrode metals and should be in/on plastic plates or cloth bags,

And with a moisture level of 85-90% absorption will go fast.

However it is not a good solution when you have a guest. I think a guest also would like to cool the room. .

So such absorber only to use when there are no guests.

Maybe put an extra roof over room on poles, so the roof AND the walls gets less heated.

You put the whole room in a shade. However you stil need inside a low speed fan to keep the air moving to prevent moist can create fungus.

You will notice by smell and eventually or instantly see it.

Or you have fans in the ceiling, sucking out air in the room and you let the sucked out air circulate in the attic, creating an airflow and therefor also creates some cooling of roof, attic. Of course you do have some vents on the attic.

Just see in lazada search "roof vent fan".

But put on that extra roof solar panels and have the room controlled by an airco, your guests would appreciate. And if there are no guests, the airco can just run on fan. on low speed, creating airflow. You can use the extra solar power somewhere else, your home?

Of course al costs. It is what you would like and can pay. Just some thoughts.

Had to guess a lot, as i dont know where the room is, how much space it is, how much space you have left.

I would build an attractive covered balcony over the entrance for a start, so can keep flyscreened doors open. Leave the extract fan on in the bathroom which will pull air in from this area.

Still need a small aircon.

You need to shade the building where the sun is hitting it. It will keep it much cooler. Shade! Plant trees, or build a metal awning roof over the building so to deflect the sun’s heat. Large windows. And of course A/C because it’s sometimes it’s too hot for anything else to work.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 4:34 AM, CanadaSam said:

I once put two cheap extractor type fans in the walls on either side of a room, one blowing inwards, and the other blowing outwards (made sure to put mosquito nets on them) and it worked a charm!

how did you install those? could you post a picture? I'd very interested to see what you used.

Should have a rain cover and mosquito screens in the first place, should not be a issue to leave the doors open. Aside of that still an AC too, I can't see the reason for the budget or cost being an issue there either.

The room will not be a big one, so the AC cost is peanuts, and in terms of electric costs it is only used when having actual guests, during the rain season mainly, even if using it all the time 10 days a month, that barely is what, 500 baht a month.

9 hours ago, ujayujay said:

There is no way to keep the Temp. on a reasonable level than a AC????

I haven’t even touched my AC remote controls and I’ve been here for years now. Prefer to not use them if possible. 
But then I chose a breezy location in which to live. Cool and breezy with the bonus of ridiculously low electricity bills.

I like the extractor fan idea from a scientific point of view.  

5 hours ago, NextG said:

I like the extractor fan idea from a scientific point of view.

Only if the outside temp is above the inside temp however.  When it is 38c outside it is still going to be hot inside.  Even at night temps are seldom below 29c most places in Thailand.  But indeed they will help when outside temps allow.  But shade/insulation are basic needs.

Because of the increased humidity during the wet season, air con as suggested by scubascuba3 is probably your best solution, as cooling the air also reduces the humidity.

I put my A/C on for a short period to cool the room, then turn it off and  use a fan to circulate the air.

In the hot season, I might wake up in the night and repeat if it gets too hot.

I have found that putting towels along the bottom of my sliding doors and the bedroom door makes a hell of a difference in keeping the room cooler for longer. it stops the cold air seeping out.

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I have found that putting towels along the bottom of my sliding doors and the bedroom door makes a hell of a difference in keeping the room cooler for longer. it stops the cold air seeping out.

But the outdoor dogs love that cool air seeping out.  ????

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Even at night temps are seldom below 29c most places in Thailand. 

The weather report I look at for CHIANG Mai shows lows of 25-26c now and for the next two weeks and it is not cool season.  Udon Thani shows 25-27c, Hat Yai 25-26.  

34 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

The weather report I look at for CHIANG Mai shows lows of 25-26c now and for the next two weeks and it is not cool season.  Udon Thani shows 25-27c, Hat Yai 25-26.  

But when and if it actually gets that low it is morning time and in actual city often much hotter.  Whole house cooling works best in place like Denver where day and night temps are worlds apart.  Will it helps here?  Sure - but most will want more as during the day when needed it does not work.