Thailand Hikes Entrance Fees for Foreign Visitors at Historical Attractions

webfact

6 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Has the Government explained the need to have two different entrance prices for these venues ?

Less people than before the pandemic, thus hike fees to make up the difference, Thai logic says fleece the foreigners.

Edited by lordgrinz

14 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Has the Government explained the need to have two different entrance prices for these venues ?

Thai tax revenues help support the venues, foreigners pay no tax.

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Less people than before the pandemic, thus hike fees to make up the difference, Thai logic says fleece the foreigners.

Like the British government charging my daughter thousands of pounds more to study there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, rabas said:

They mostly do not pay income tax, that is true, maybe for Thais too.... but they don't get a rebate on sales tax  nor excise taxes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I haven't read all the post so this may have been said before. Many schools charge more for out of state or country students and no one says that is not fair. The Thai Gov. should just raise the price, and then give the locals a discount, which would be the same with out targeting anyone.

On 7/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, jacko45k said:

They mostly do not pay income tax, that is true, maybe for Thais too.... but they don't get a rebate on sales tax  nor excise taxes.

Foreigners also pay withholding tax on interest (e.g. from their 800,000 visa bail). Most foreigners don't claim a refund,  which can involve a lot of bureaucracy for foreigners.

The new (since 2021) property tax is also payed by foreigners. 

But the elephant in the room is the double-pricing for all kinds of other services, including government services,  e.g. medical care.  This is where Thailand makes huge profits from the foreigners, after all,  if it weren't for the profits they wouldn't let them in.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 7:11 AM, rabas said:

A couple of assumptions;

I'll assume by "no tax", you really mean Income Tax since resident foreigners pay every other tax required of them by the government.

I'll also assume that qualification for reduced entrance fees is entirely based on paying income tax, as that seems to be the gist of your post.

Non-working Thai spouses of Thai income tax payers also pay no income tax, the same as many (but not all, by any means) foreign residents. 

If that non-working spouse qualifies for reduced fees on the back of the "other half's" income tax, why should my wife be discriminated against simply because she has a foreign, non-working spouse?

Edited by MartinL

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

80% of Thais have never paid income tax ..........

Might even be a higher percentage than that.

Wonder if any of our roving experts realize this fact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Might even be a higher percentage than that.

Wonder if any of our roving experts realize this fact.

This page suggests only 5% of Thais regularly pay income tax.

https://asiafoundation.org/2015/04/15/thailand-and-taxes/

"Many Thais, both rich and poor, are simply outside of the tax system. Just three million Thais out of 67 million regularly pay income taxes."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

I guess you couldn't find a 1995 dated article?

You think in the past 8 years 60,000,000 more Thais are paying income tax?

Or did the COVID closures reduce the numbers paying income tax?

Which do you think is more likely?

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

80% of Thais have never paid income tax ..........

I didn't mention income tax.  Hidden taxes (see link) are a substantial part of every country's tax base. Everything from Beer Lao, motorbike petrol, rice, even mobile phone fees has hidden tax. In turn Thailand's tax base supports these parks.

Given that, all Thai as well as foreigners living here help support the parks via taxes. Foreign tourists do not because they spend little time here. 

Therefore, Thai and foreigners who live here should pay a lower price. Foreign tourists including Chinese should pay a higher price to support these venues equally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"Many Thais, both rich and poor, are simply outside of the tax system. Just three million Thais out of 67 million regularly pay income taxes."

Those 5% probably work for the government. My wife paid something like 160K in tax last year. 

I douby many businesses pay much tax at all and run separate books if they are ever audited. 

• Like 1

I was there for many years, we used to get a big kick out of the double pricing. I had a friend from China that went with us , could not speak any Thai. He would keep his mouth shut and pay Thai prices. Me?  I would speak Thai and put on a show showing I had been there for years. Didn't help at any park... LOL. 

Years ago some would let me threw. Now? If they could they would tack on another charge for being stupid enough to come to Thailand and visit the parks.

The country I am in now charges the tourists extra for entrance same as Thailand. Not much getting away from it nowdays. Only difference here is I don't have to deal with immigration. No hassles what so ever.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Traditionally, the Thai statutes regarding income tax are dismissed up to a certain wealth status - meaning that the working classes/working poor are exempt, especially true when such income is dispersed/traded in cash and not recorded. This is the manner in which it should be practiced everywhere.....of course, it's not. 

There are some particular circles that might suggest that taxing the everyday struggling working/labour classes income is a bit barbaric and accomplishes nothing for the real working economies. 

• Thanks 1